Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Two containers blown/fallen over on the incoming BRT bus lane at Vrystaat bus station in Paardeneiland.Hope the commuters had a safe ride home in this wind

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joburg has a problem with falling trees! Yoh!

That is actually a big problem here as well.  We are surrounded by quite a few natural forests and these trees take quite a beating between storms winds and heavy snowfall.

I struggled yesterday morning down lower main road into cape town. Blown over by the traffic  light at  fargo. Only because i was off balance and further down the mainroad i was like a drunk on a bicycle.

Riding home via Vredehoek and Rhodes Mem was a bad idea.

Not sure where would have been better though. Woodstock would have been dangerous too

A few years ago I decided to commute to work. 

But "there are no showers at work I was told", so I showered before I left home and then got in really early to have a cowboy splash in the mens toilets. The first day I did this I realised that the doors couldn't lock, so I stole a door wedge from a door that always had to remain open (I used to hide it under the hand basin so I didn't have to fetch it all the time) and carried on my cowboy splash in peace. I did get a big fright one day when one of the data analysts also got there early but the door was wedged so he basically broke in. I could see he looked at me in a "what kind of freak show is this type look" but I had some dirt on him. I'd keep it quiet that he allowed me to make system changes without getting the proper sign offs so we were even Stevens.... 

Commuting is awesome, I do it when I can but being on the school run makes it a bit difficult. 

I did the Woodstock, through CBD and home via Llandudno Constantia Nek route the other day... :-) 

I did a bit of a detour this morning to show the youngest D the safest way from home to UCT. No, I didn't cry like his mother did when he went to Grade 1, I just got a speck of dust in my eye when I rode on to work.

So, what did I learn?

That even a little commute can be a precious thing?  For sure!

post-17716-0-40886000-1548828405_thumb.jpg

I did a bit of a detour this morning to show the youngest D the safest way from home to UCT. No, I didn't cry like his mother did when he went to Grade 1, I just got a speck of dust in my eye when I rode on to work.

So, what did I learn?

That even a little commute can be a precious thing?  For sure!

Coolest kid on the block! That bike rocks!

A few years ago I decided to commute to work. 

But "there are no showers at work I was told", so I showered before I left home and then got in really early to have a cowboy splash in the mens toilets. The first day I did this I realised that the doors couldn't lock, so I stole a door wedge from a door that always had to remain open (I used to hide it under the hand basin so I didn't have to fetch it all the time) and carried on my cowboy splash in peace. I did get a big fright one day when one of the data analysts also got there early but the door was wedged so he basically broke in. I could see he looked at me in a "what kind of freak show is this type look" but I had some dirt on him. I'd keep it quiet that he allowed me to make system changes without getting the proper sign offs so we were even Stevens.... 

Commuting is awesome, I do it when I can but being on the school run makes it a bit difficult. 

I did the Woodstock, through CBD and home via Llandudno Constantia Nek route the other day... :-) 

I use the paraplegic toilet for my cowboy wash (I like that term).

More space than the normal bathrooms, hardly anyone uses it and the door locks.

but, our bathrooms have frosted glass doors, thankfully they are behind a wall, but anyone walking to the kitchen may get a silhouette show.