Show us your pets

tunariaan

Well if anything, I have learnt quite a lot from this experience - it's still ongoing, but it's not anywhere near finalized.

1. I have since discovered (after having a frank chat with someone who knows the ropes) that the SPCA is actually not a adoption agency - their core business is to police animal cruelty - they are not geared to facilitate adoptions which is why animal cruelty cases take precedent, and sadly, also why they do not get emotionally involved when it comes down to euthanizing animals.  They do however accept abandoned or unwanted animals, but their reasoning is that euthanizing is better than being a stray on the street.
  2. They follow the rules of the RSPCA - there is no wiggle room there.  If you want to adopt a dog from the SPCA it's their rules, simple.
  3. There are no set standards for home inspections so they will not allow any independent inspectors - only inspectors from the SPCA are accepted.
  4. They don't like people adopting outside their area - it's a problem for them as it creates unnecessary admin - see above!
  5. Most of the people working there are Volunteers who do so for love - but they have no authority, so trying to reason with them is of no use.

Right now they are still insisting on a meet and greet first - only then will they commence with our home inspection.  The sticking points we have is that it's a 150km round trip for me every time I drive from Pretoria to Booysens - I'm trying to convince them to do a home inspection first, so that if there is a problem, I haven't done an unnecessary trip.  SPCA want a meet and greet first, then the home inspection and only then can we adopt.  They also are still insisting that we bring both dogs - and that is non-negotiable for me - she's skittish, she's a runner and she doesn't do cars - if she somehow bolts then we will never catch her.

I'm making one last call today to try and reason with them - hold thumbs!

Really hoping it all works out but if not then try Wetnose,  we adopted from them before and they were lovely. Very helpful and accommodating. 

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a trustworthy outfit to fly an 8 week old puppy from Durban to Cape Town? I have never done that, so any advice will be appreciated.  

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a trustworthy outfit to fly an 8 week old puppy from Durban to Cape Town? I have never done that, so any advice will be appreciated.  

I have a friend who breeds rats (stop laughing you in the back...) - she regularly imports and also flys them around the country.  I will check to see who she uses.

Well if anything, I have learnt quite a lot from this experience - it's still ongoing, but it's not anywhere near finalized.

1. I have since discovered (after having a frank chat with someone who knows the ropes) that the SPCA is actually not a adoption agency - their core business is to police animal cruelty - they are not geared to facilitate adoptions which is why animal cruelty cases take precedent, and sadly, also why they do not get emotionally involved when it comes down to euthanizing animals.  They do however accept abandoned or unwanted animals, but their reasoning is that euthanizing is better than being a stray on the street.
  2. They follow the rules of the RSPCA - there is no wiggle room there.  If you want to adopt a dog from the SPCA it's their rules, simple.
  3. There are no set standards for home inspections so they will not allow any independent inspectors - only inspectors from the SPCA are accepted.
  4. They don't like people adopting outside their area - it's a problem for them as it creates unnecessary admin - see above!
  5. Most of the people working there are Volunteers who do so for love - but they have no authority, so trying to reason with them is of no use.

Right now they are still insisting on a meet and greet first - only then will they commence with our home inspection.  The sticking points we have is that it's a 150km round trip for me every time I drive from Pretoria to Booysens - I'm trying to convince them to do a home inspection first, so that if there is a problem, I haven't done an unnecessary trip.  SPCA want a meet and greet first, then the home inspection and only then can we adopt.  They also are still insisting that we bring both dogs - and that is non-negotiable for me - she's skittish, she's a runner and she doesn't do cars - if she somehow bolts then we will never catch her.

I'm making one last call today to try and reason with them - hold thumbs!

Making progress thankfully - I chatted to someone at Booysens who understands and can make calls - they are willing to compromise on the Meet and Greet.  Unfortunately, Tshwane SPCA has to do the home inspection, and they might insist on the meet and greet, but we're hoping that with the season which is so busy for animals that they might let this one slide!  But even if we do, it will only be for one of our dogs, and also one trip - we meet and greet and take her home.

So right now Taz-who-will-soon-be-renamed is scheduled for sterilization which is a lot more promising than the other injection.

I have a friend who breeds rats (stop laughing you in the back...) - she regularly imports and also flys them around the country.  I will check to see who she uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QewmuWaUvR8&app=desktop

I'm assuming its the same for dogs!

I haven't used them.

But give them a try

https://www.animal-travel.com/

Oh my goodness.

Look at this.. not mine..my mother in law's new baby.. her name is Karma[emoji23]

Not sure what happened with the whole..I have enough GSD now2b5d6380cb7d0f7e0cff837523382c1d.jpg

Edited by Gen

Oh my goodness.

Look at this.. not mine..my mother in law's new baby.. her name is Karma[emoji23]

Not sure what happened with the whole..I have enough GSD now2b5d6380cb7d0f7e0cff837523382c1d.jpg

Makes me think of this

c6510a0926061e07eed50862e0b26cc6.jpg

Makes me think of this

c6510a0926061e07eed50862e0b26cc6.jpg

Yep exactly it lol

I have already told her I want a puppy when she does have a litter in a few years time.. she has I think 4 imports and they are from incredible bloodlines.

Making progress thankfully - I chatted to someone at Booysens who understands and can make calls - they are willing to compromise on the Meet and Greet.  Unfortunately, Tshwane SPCA has to do the home inspection, and they might insist on the meet and greet, but we're hoping that with the season which is so busy for animals that they might let this one slide!  But even if we do, it will only be for one of our dogs, and also one trip - we meet and greet and take her home.

So right now Taz-who-will-soon-be-renamed is scheduled for sterilization which is a lot more promising than the other injection.

It's now getting increasingly frustrating.  Taz was not scheduled for her Puppy vaccinations because she was not on any adoption list.  Now they are going to inject her on the 20th only, and then they have to wait 10 days before she can be sterilized, before we can collect her.  Hell, the Vet that did the Cruciate ligament replacement on our other rescue even offered to call the SPCA and tell them that I would pay up front and they would personally vouch for us, but because we live in Pretoria and not Jhb, the Pretoria Vets cannot to that! I mean really.  I must admit I pushed back a little and told them that if they cannot get their house in order before the end of the year, we are going to have to reconsider.  One of the reasons we chose this time of the year is because my wife and I are on leave and can give a new pup all the attention it needs to help integrate it with the other dogs.  Come mid January, life gets really hectic again, and we wont be as chilled.

I just cannot fathom how when the SPCA is crying for people to assist adopting dogs, they make it so impossible to actually do so.