MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I have done about 4000km on a set of Maxxis Crossmarks LUST tyres and they have not let me down. There has been some hissing but they have always sealed themselves, I might add a lot less hissing that on the Sugaros and Ikons I have had in the past. So they seem to be pretty puncture resistant.

However the time has come to replace the rear tyre and seeing as I do about 50/50 on/off road I am tempted to get another Crossmark. I am budget concious so I am also considering the Continental Race King Pure Grip 29 X 2.2 Tubeless tyre.

Suggestions? Stick with Crossmark or try the Race King? 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done about 4000km on a set of Maxxis Crossmarks LUST tyres and they have not let me down. There has been some hissing but they have always sealed themselves, I might add a lot less hissing that on the Sugaros and Ikons I have had in the past. So they seem to be pretty puncture resistant.

However the time has come to replace the rear tyre and seeing as I do about 50/50 on/off road I am tempted to get another Crossmark. I am budget concious so I am also considering the Continental Race King Pure Grip 29 X 2.2 Tubeless tyre.

Suggestions? Stick with Crossmark or try the Race King? 

After much research, I replaced my much-loved WTB's with Continental Protection Race King 2.2 ® and X-King 2.4 (F). 

The Race King at the rear lasted 30mins at Hakahana on Sunday before suffering a fatal, terminal sidewall cut.  We hadn't even STARTED on the rocky enduro lines yet...

Perhaps, it was bad luck but it felt like setting fire to a small pile of R50 notes...

Yikes! My main concern is puncture resistance, second priority is lifespan. I am not bothered with weight or grip. Seems like Crossmark remains the best choice. 

Glad I got the last set of Crossmax 26" tyres from the LBS yesterday...

I went all cheap ass as I use the bike 99% for commuting so I need a tyre that I can replace without feeling like I died because I lost a tyre.

Just have to fit them.  I might first kill the Bontragers before I go for the Crossmax tyres though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up a set of OnOne Smorgasbord Trail Extreme tyres from Ryanpmb recently. So far I am overly impressed. This might just be my new tyre of choice. Be sure to keep some stock Ryan!  :thumbup:

post-37016-0-06786600-1444054381_thumb.jpg

Picked up a set of OnOne Smorgasbord Trail Extreme tyres from Ryanpmb recently. So far I am overly impressed. This might just be my new tyre of choice. Be sure to keep some stock Ryan!  :thumbup:

attachicon.gifsb01.jpg

Those look like an awesome rear tyre option.

Those look like an awesome rear tyre option.

At 2.25 the Smorgasbord makes a great front and rear tyre. If you're looking for something bigger and more aggressive up front, we have the Chunky Monkey 2.4...

Edited by Ryanpmb

I also lost a Conti Protection tyre,,it's over rated for all round riding at low pressures its Maxis Crossmark UST .Bulletproof

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with Michelin's Wild Grip'R 2 Advanced (the non-reinforced version) tyre?

I'm contemplating ditching my current Maxxis High Rollers II tyres that came OEM on my bike. 

It's a bit of a two horse race between a WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss combo or the Michelin Wild Grip'R back and front.

Still have the old Crossmarks on, now with more than 6500km on. I bought a new one to replace the worn rear tyre but will probably only do that after 7000km. Doubt that any other make will give me this kind of mileage. 

Does anyone have any experience with Michelin's Wild Grip'R 2 Advanced (the non-reinforced version) tyre?

I'm contemplating ditching my current Maxxis High Rollers II tyres that came OEM on my bike. 

It's a bit of a two horse race between a WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss combo or the Michelin Wild Grip'R back and front.

Ran Michelin Wild Grip'R 2 on my bike for a while. Love the feedback on the trail, grip is excellent in the Dry. can be a bit tricky in the wet but that's mostly due to the wide spacing in the tread blocks. Silicium Gum-X compound is much improved over previous versions for wet conditions/

Love em.

they're a bit weighty compared to Schwalbe and Geax (Vittoria) though.

Edited: realised the name for the new compound is GUM-X no longer silicium (Which was the compound on the old Wildgripper)

Edited by raptor-22

I have the WTB combo on my bike and all I can say is GRIIIIIP for days.

I have the WTB combo on my bike and all I can say is GRIIIIIP for days.

Days are a good start, but how many months? If there is any other tyres that can handle 6000+km I really want to know cause that is what I need.

Days are a good start, but how many months? If there is any other tyres that can handle 6000+km I really want to know cause that is what I need.

You can never get the best of both long lasting with HUGE amount of grip.For you the Crossmark might be the best tire for your type of riding but they might not work for other lots of factors when it comes to tires. For me it's about grip and sidewall strength,as long as I have that I am happy so griiiip for days is my cup of tea.