29er tyres

Spartacus88

You get and Ardent and an Ardent race. The Ardent is a great all round tyre - I use it on the front of my training bike. It'll be fine in the wet.

Ardent Race is more marathon oriented - same basic shape but smaller knobblies. It's a dry weather tyre - hardpack/loose etc. I run the Ardent Race on my race bike front.

Ardent is 60tpi - Ardent Race is 120tpi. there is about 100g difference in weight.

Both are way grippier than the Ikon (the Ardent is awesome!). Oddly enough I've had decent experience running an Ikon backwards on the front!

Bare in mind all this advice is marathon/xco racing based. I'm happy to sacrifice some grip for reduced rolling resustance. Someone wanting to have more fun on the downhills and is happy to struggle a little more on flats/climbs will have a different opinion....

I bought a a Ardent lust tyre, but I now see it is 120 tpi. Would that be a problem?

Edited by Breezer

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been on Maxxis Crossmark. Really Bulletproof. But i am now going to try Mitas Textra Kratos.

Only heard good things about them. I mean, Tyre choice for the Epic, so it must be good. 

I bought a a Ardent lust tyre, but I now see it is 120 tpi. Would that be a problem?

Nah. Mine is 120tpi and it's been bulletproof over all sorts of nasties. 895g baby - loads of rubber and carbon black in there to protect it :-)

Ardent LUST 120 has thicker sidewalls than some other 120tpi tyres due to the full UST compliance. 

Also - sidewall thickness is less of a problem on the front due to weight distribution. 

Ardent LUST 120 has thicker sidewalls than some other 120tpi tyres due to the full UST compliance. 

Also - sidewall thickness is less of a problem on the front due to weight distribution. 

That's a much better answer!

It was the pesky 120s. So now I wonder if I should try Continental or go back to Maxxis. I'm kinda leaning towards X-king cause it's cheaper.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

If you want a tough tyre, buy a Spez with GRID casing - ZAR550 and you're sorted.

Conti's are not the strongest, in my experience.

If i only have one choice for both ,it would be Vittorio Saguaro rear and Nobby nic  snakeskin front .I use and have used all the named tires except Spez one,s 

Edited by Blitzer

If you want a tough tyre, buy a Spez with GRID casing - ZAR550 and you're sorted.

yes but he wants lighter than Grid. 

Personally, I want all the protection I can get. 

If i only have one choice for both ,it would be Vittorio Saguaro rear and Racing ralph snakeskin front .I use and have used all the named tires except Spez one,s 

WTF!? RR is NOT a front tyre for anything but jeeptrack,. 

Does the GRID casing also weep sealant on the side walls?

I have run a few with control casings at the rear, and all did that. Looking at replacing the slaughter with either purgatory or ground controls in GRID, as I have a feeling the slaughter's aren't going to be the best winter tyre.

Otherwise I'd go with something from maxxis again, maybe Ardent or Minion DHR II (if one can find these locally).

I have run a few with control casings at the rear, and all did that. Looking at replacing the slaughter with either purgatory or ground controls in GRID, as I have a feeling the slaughter's aren't going to be the best winter tyre.

Otherwise I'd go with something from maxxis again, maybe Ardent or Minion DHR II (if one can find these locally).

I've never seen or heard of a Spez tyre weeping sealant - i've had ground controls, fast tracks and a purgatory, none of which has leaked anything.

My Ground Control rear tire also started "sweating" sealant all along the sidewall but that was after a full season of hard work and no punctures so personally I'm happy to pay the affordable price for a new one and chuck out the weeper.

So when my new Crossmarks arrive I see they are 120tpi  :thumbdown:  Lets hope they last, they are LUST so I am guessing it would be fine. To make matters worse when I drop the bike off at the LBS to fit the tyres and give the bike a minor service the dude shows me 26 x 2.25 60tpi Crossmarks and says he will be getting 29er ones later this week. I should have waited a bit longer it seems.

TODAY those damn Arisun 'Mount Graham' 120TPI gemors are in the dustbin ..... this rear tire has done about 1500k's and I'm getting a puncture almost every time I go out and have to plug.

OK so this screw was a tad unfortunate though  :whistling:

post-271-0-79089800-1462945328_thumb.jpg