Rugby...

'Dale

Guys, can we please stop having a go at the Boks.

Cape Town - Springbok flyhalf Morne Steyn feels the South African media and rugby public are overcritical.

Steyn replaced Elton Jantjies in last Saturday’s losing Rugby Championship Test against Argentina in Salta.

He missed two penalties as well as a drop attempt as the Boks went down 26-24.

Steyn currently plays his club rugby with Stade Francais in France where he admits he feels less pressure there than in South Africa.

After arriving with the Boks in Johannesburg on Monday, Steyn toldNetwerk24: “I’ll now probably be the worst flyhalf in the world. In South Africa you just cannot win with the media and the rugby public.

“That’s one thing I don’t miss when I’m playing in France. (Here) the one week you can be the best, then suddenly you’re the worst there is the following week.

“I’ll probably now hear that I’m too old and have to hang up my boots. As player you just have to listen to the right people and not let the unnecessary negative criticism bother you.”

Looking to the future, Steyn feels the current Bok squad boasts the right player personnel.

“I think it’s a new era with young guys and they should be given the chance to establish themselves.”

He is too old and should hang up his boots.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Let's stop having a go at them. They may not be winning but they are playing a resourceful and entertaining style of rugby. Ball kept alive and lots of wonderful team spirit. They seem happy to run out on the field and show tremendous enthusiasm. I especially loved the first half of Saturday's game where they surprised me with their flair and creativity. It really was hugely entertaining and inspiring. Well done to each and every player.

He is too old and should hang up his boots.

I didn't realise Morne Steyn was still in the picture. Him coming on as flyhalf sent us back ten years, for once we have loads of talent at 10 and we might just as well go with Braam van Straaten.

I see ricky januarie got some gametime over the weekend in france, let's see him back in green and gold too.

Steyn currently plays his club rugby with Stade Francais in France where he admits he feels less pressure there than in South Africa.

maybe thats why We have 2 World cup wins and France has...remind me again?...oh yes...zero

Yep. Let's stop having a go at them. They may not be winning but they are playing a resourceful and entertaining style of rugby. Ball kept alive and lots of wonderful team spirit. They seem happy to run out on the field and show tremendous enthusiasm. I especially loved the first half of Saturday's game where they surprised me with their flair and creativity. It really was hugely entertaining and inspiring. Well done to each and every player.

Isn't that the wrong font?

I am a Bokkie fan, and moreso a pure rugby fan

Love it when the Pumas make an impression in the RC hey

The order of world rugby is shuffling

Very interesting

Aussies and Bokkies are getting snotklappe

Admittedly, the Aussies are in seriaaas trouble hey

The ABs just a wonder once-in-a-generation streak

England on the rise... wow... Eddie magic

And some other northern nations rising slowly

Agreed it would be great if there were 8-10 teams who could win on any given day. I would like for Japan to tour here and we have proper cliff hanger test matches against them. Then we can stop milking the few actual contests that currently exist.

Off course this should be happen by Japan almost reaching All Black level, not by South Africa becoming the 16th ranked team on the planet. 

AC: "we lost because of mistakes made by induvidual players" on the radio this morning. Huh? I cant remember if I have ever heard a bok coach blame the players.

It bothers me as well, a coach so insecure about his ability that he has to blame the players. 

He has been making Jantjies the media scapegoat since he took over. How does he expect to get the best out of the players like that?

It bothers me as well, a coach so insecure about his ability that he has to blame the players. 

He has been making Jantjies the media scapegoat since he took over. How does he expect to get the best out of the players like that?

Well at the end of the day Darren......

I wonder how many eligible coaches are left in SA, we must be running low on ones who have not had a go at being bok coach

I hope AC doesn't have a brain fart and pick someone else that isn't a natural leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strauss retiring. Only at the end of the season.

Saw that. He did a lot for SA rugby and was good a few seasons back. I enjoyed his rugby. Dont like him as Bok captain

Guys, can we please stop having a go at the Boks.

Cape Town - Springbok flyhalf Morne Steyn feels the South African media and rugby public are overcritical.

Steyn replaced Elton Jantjies in last Saturday’s losing Rugby Championship Test against Argentina in Salta.

He missed two penalties as well as a drop attempt as the Boks went down 26-24.

After arriving with the Boks in Johannesburg on Monday, Steyn toldNetwerk24: “I’ll now probably be the worst flyhalf in the world. In South Africa you just cannot win with the media and the rugby public.

“That’s one thing I don’t miss when I’m playing in France. (Here) the one week you can be the best, then suddenly you’re the worst there is the following week.

“I’ll probably now hear that I’m too old and have to hang up my boots. As player you just have to listen to the right people and not let the unnecessary negative criticism bother you.”

Looking to the future, Steyn feels the current Bok squad boasts the right player personnel.

“I think it’s a new era with young guys and they should be given the chance to establish themselves.”

He said that himself and he is 100% right.

I hope AC doesn't have a brain fart and pick someone else that isn't a natural leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has to decide on who is his preferred #8 and then select him as skipper. Whiteley and Vermeulen look like the two obvious candidates.

He has to decide on who is his preferred #8 and then select him as skipper. Whiteley and Vermeulen look like the two obvious candidates.

their form should decide that

in my books a fit and in-form vermeulen is impossible to look past

Why does the name "Oupa Mohoje" come to mind? :whistling: with compliments from Fikile Mbalula :ph34r:

Why does the name "Oupa Mohoje" come to mind? :whistling: with compliments from Fikile Mbalula :ph34r:

i'll reiterate the "puppet" word, the retiring of the Capt is a similar thing, it looked bad on AC as Strauss is seriously not up forto the task, so the strings are pulled on top, take the golden hand shake announce the retirement , fans are happy...

IMO