Coffee machine

Thanx GBguy. I stand corrected! He is still an awesome dude and my new exclusive coffee roaster/supplier.

He is a good guy indeed - you just have to watch out when you visit with him, or you land up with caffeine overdose....

They also have some really cool art cups for sale - I use a set of the dancing silloettes at home.

http://www.stilcoffee.com/afric_cups.html

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the wife one of the new Nescafe Alegria machines for Xmas. Not the greatest coffee, but you cannot beat it for simplicity and ease of use. Pour some milk into a cup, choose your poison (Cappucino, Latte, etc.), push the go button and voila, coffee, done. R116 for the cannisters, can do up to 120 espresso's ot 40 latte's, so between R1 and R3 per cup.

Downside - currently, the cannisters are only available at Makro, in 1 flavour only, Makro got exclusivity for the launch, they will be extending the distribution and the range of coffees in Q1 of this year.

Wifey got me the Aeropress for Xmas. Not yet convinced but have made a decent cup or two. Somewhere between espresso and french press. Will need to experiment a lot more.

Wifey got me the Aeropress for Xmas. Not yet convinced but have made a decent cup or two. Somewhere between espresso and french press. Will need to experiment a lot more.

You really need a decent grinder if you don't already have one - that will improve things considerably, together with fresh coffee.

What V12man said...

Interesting to see that there's now an Aeropress category in the national barista competition. If you google aeropress, you'll pick up lots of tips.

What V12man said...

Interesting to see that there's now an Aeropress category in the national barista competition. If you google aeropress, you'll pick up lots of tips.

There is a lot of stuff on youboob - including the world aeropress barista championships (or some such) - very interesting to watch their technicques.

You really need a decent grinder if you don't already have one - that will improve things considerably, together with fresh coffee.

Will invest in one definitely. I bought some freshly roasted "espresso blend" beans at Blaauwklippen just before returning to Gauteng, They have been great so far in the DeLonghi. I also recently noticed that I pass the Tribeca guys on my way to work, so will pop in there in the next week or two for fresh stock. Thanks everyone for all the great tips.

With 42 pages - apologies if this has been discussed...

The Nespresso U came with the Aeroccino frother. Been using it since Xmas - nothing excessive. Yesterday, it started slipping in its primary role of frothing... All appears to be working as it should, but as soon as you pop up the lid, the (warmed) milk is virtually "flat". I noticed it wasn't filling the chamber to just underneath the lid like it used to, and cannot get it to froth like it did initially...

Anyone else notice a difference between milk bottles - i.e. could it be a particular bottle of milk that is the problem? Reason I ask is that the previous bottle - a different brand to the Woolies Aryshire(?) we usually buy - made a very "thick" froth... So is it possible that the problem lies there - or could it only be the Aeroccino?

Obviously, had I remembered to buy more milk on the way home today, I would not be asking this question... ;)

I bought me a De Longhi machine for xmas.

Tried out the nespresso, and far preferred the one I bought.

1 button, bean to cup capuccino machine

With 42 pages - apologies if this has been discussed...

The Nespresso U came with the Aeroccino frother. Been using it since Xmas - nothing excessive. Yesterday, it started slipping in its primary role of frothing... All appears to be working as it should, but as soon as you pop up the lid, the (warmed) milk is virtually "flat". I noticed it wasn't filling the chamber to just underneath the lid like it used to, and cannot get it to froth like it did initially...

Anyone else notice a difference between milk bottles - i.e. could it be a particular bottle of milk that is the problem? Reason I ask is that the previous bottle - a different brand to the Woolies Aryshire(?) we usually buy - made a very "thick" froth... So is it possible that the problem lies there - or could it only be the Aeroccino?

Obviously, had I remembered to buy more milk on the way home today, I would not be asking this question... ;)

2% froths much better. The fat "boils" and flattens the froth

This is what Father Christmas got me:

I don't know how to tell you this Splat but the old guy dropped it off at the wrong address. Kindly wrap it and send it my waywhistling.gif

I bought me a De Longhi machine for xmas.

Tried out the nespresso, and far preferred the one I bought.

1 button, bean to cup capuccino machine

I also have the De Lonhi. It works overtime and does not complain or strike. Love the machine. Nothing like fresh ground beans every time.

I still want a Nespresso on the side though (for some reason)

I don't know how to tell you this Splat but the old guy dropped it off at the wrong address. Kindly wrap it and send it my waywhistling.gif

Its definitely mine

I have been a good boy and wrote the old chap lots of letters wink.png

I stand in front of the machine with a HUGE selection of pods and don't know what to choose. Its fun working out which I like more. I am glad I stocked up in advance on some of the limited editions too. Looking forward to the next special.