Coffee machine

Did consider that and consulted LM, you need quite a serious one for 1800W and if there is ever electrical fire you in serious trouble even if it was not the cause. Frequency also 60hz.

Yeah the wattage would be a problem. Probably meant for DVD players etc.

I believe that you can also get a plug socket rewired for 220V in the US (if that's where you are headed) so might be an option to consider as well

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reluctantly considering the selling of my espresso machine (La Marzocco Linea Mini) and grinder (old Mazzer Super Jolly with ssp burrs installed), immigrating to 110V country.

DM me if interested (some pretty nice high end stuff):

attachicon.gifLM_1_reducedSize.jpg

attachicon.gifLM_2_reducedSize.jpg

attachicon.gifSSP_reducedSize.jpg

Hey man, pls pm me the price you had in mind. Can’t make promises as I’ve got a lot expenses with building, but hey...you never know!

If you google best home use coffee machines, you also get Breville at the top of such lists.  I have a Breville Barista Express.  It is truely a great machine.  It has a built in grinder and you have great control over the coffee shot variables  The advantage over my Nespresso is that you can buy your beans directly from a roaster, meaning freshly roasted beans tasting ten times better.  I think you can buy them at @Home for around 8k. 

If you google best home use coffee machines, you also get Breville at the top of such lists.  I have a Breville Barista Express.  It is truely a great machine.  It has a built in grinder and you have great control over the coffee shot variables  The advantage over my Nespresso is that you can buy your beans directly from a roaster, meaning freshly roasted beans tasting ten times better.  I think you can buy them at @Home for around 8k. 

The Breville that makes it to the top of those lists is not available in SA - it's a double boiler machine and very good value - but sadly not available here in SA - given it would not be exactly cheap - 2000AUD - 3500AUD

https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/espresso.html

Yeah the wattage would be a problem. Probably meant for DVD players etc.

I believe that you can also get a plug socket rewired for 220V in the US (if that's where you are headed) so might be an option to consider as well

There would still need to be a transformer. And then still the frequency is an issue (this primarily affects ac motors which will spin faster with a 60Hz supply than a 50Hz supply).

But I imagine the high power comes from the heating element which should be swappable. I'd get in touch with the agents in the US and see what the spares would cost for a full conversion (should only be the heater element, control unit power supply, potentially the pump motor and pump motor protection circuit).

There would still need to be a transformer. And then still the frequency is an issue (this primarily affects ac motors which will spin faster with a 60Hz supply than a 50Hz supply).

But I imagine the high power comes from the heating element which should be swappable. I'd get in touch with the agents in the US and see what the spares would cost for a full conversion (should only be the heater element, control unit power supply, potentially the pump motor and pump motor protection circuit).

Briefly discussed here: https://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/commercial-220v-conversion-to-110v-t9601.html

Regards, Ken

Out of interest, this is the response I got from LaMarzocco Technical Support when I contacted them a while back which echo the sentiment from the home barista link:

Thanks for contacting us. 
Congratulations on having a Linea Mini. 
Unfortunately the machine is difficult to convert to 110v and also costly. Although is is possible to have a 240v supply in a domestic premises in North America, it would most likely be easier, cheaper and less hassle to sell your Mini where you are and buy a new one after your move.

Upon probing they did indicate that a transformer could work, but I am still a bit concerned about the change in frequency and legal implications. They also particularly stressed the importance that the machine needs to be earthed.

Speaking of bean to cup.. (Pitchforks at the ready folks)

Does a machine exist that actually has a half-decent automated cappuccino? I'm not expecting the best, but at work when time is short, all I want is a cappaccino that isn't crap, or takes long to do. Our current Delonghi (and Jura), the espresso is decent, the foam is crap, the order it does it is wrong for some reason (milk then shot??).

If you do it separate, try get rid of some bubbles then put it together afterwards it's okay, but I feel that these are steps I shouldn't be needing to do.

I'm not purist by any means, but I do find it strange that there isn't something that can replicate a hint of what a coffee barista can do. 

Bean to cup is the way to go

DeLonghi

The house we stayed in over the holidays had a bean to cup machine (can't remember the brand.) By day two I started using my hand grinder and aeropress.

Convenience does not equal flavor.

I have a really decent Jura F50 bean to cup, and we've resorted to using our separate grinder and popping the ground coffee in the Jura - bean to cup definitely has its limits