Coffee machine

Invest in one of these, they really make consistent coffee/flat white without having to worry about frothing milk and extraction times ect.

Not cheap but I love mine and worth every cent

post-14363-0-40449700-1580205297_thumb.png

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are those SSP burrs? Ive always been keen to give them a shot!

They grind measurably faster. Have not used them long enough to comment on wear but supposed to last for 4-5 tons of beans.

Subjectively espresso tastes "clearer", definitely blew life back in the ol' Super Jolly.

Speaking of bean to cup.. (Pitchforks at the ready folks)

Does a machine exist that actually has a half-decent automated cappuccino? I'm not expecting the best, but at work when time is short, all I want is a cappaccino that isn't crap, or takes long to do. Our current Delonghi (and Jura), the espresso is decent, the foam is crap, the order it does it is wrong for some reason (milk then shot??).

If you do it separate, try get rid of some bubbles then put it together afterwards it's okay, but I feel that these are steps I shouldn't be needing to do.

I'm not purist by any means, but I do find it strange that there isn't something that can replicate a hint of what a coffee barista can do. 

When I bought my Jura, the sales lady told me the reason they do it in my model(not a 1 touch, so I have to move the mug over to put milk and then shot) is that if you have anything in the mug when that first burst of froth comes out it will spray everywhere. Even if you have sugar in the mug already it just goes everywhere. With mine as soon as you open the froth tap it is a short burst of steam and then the milk starts flowing.

Speaking of bean to cup.. (Pitchforks at the ready folks)

Does a machine exist that actually has a half-decent automated cappuccino? I'm not expecting the best, but at work when time is short, all I want is a cappaccino that isn't crap, or takes long to do. Our current Delonghi (and Jura), the espresso is decent, the foam is crap, the order it does it is wrong for some reason (milk then shot??).

If you do it separate, try get rid of some bubbles then put it together afterwards it's okay, but I feel that these are steps I shouldn't be needing to do.

I'm not purist by any means, but I do find it strange that there isn't something that can replicate a hint of what a coffee barista can do.

When I bought my Jura, the sales lady told me the reason they do it in my model(not a 1 touch, so I have to move the mug over to put milk and then shot) is that if you have anything in the mug when that first burst of froth comes out it will spray everywhere. Even if you have sugar in the mug already it just goes everywhere. With mine as soon as you open the froth tap it is a short burst of steam and then the milk starts flowing.

I have no problem making a coffee first then the milk. Have been doing it this way for many years. One day I’ll bump into a leprechaun at the end of a rainbow and he’ll share his pot o’ gold with me, so I can afford a “real” espresso machine. For now, the semi-auto will have to make do.

The Breville that makes it to the top of those lists is not available in SA - it's a double boiler machine and very good value - but sadly not available here in SA - given it would not be exactly cheap - 2000AUD - 3500AUD

https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/espresso.html

There are also lists that list the Barista Express as the Nr 1 home espresso machine, like here:

https://www.fourthestatecoffee.com/best-espresso-machine/

I have one and it is excellent.  

So yesterday I found this machine on offer for what I thought was a bargain at a reduced price of R3300.00... Wasn't actually shopping for a coffee machine but I thought at this price it was worth a gamble. Would appreciate thoughts on this unit please, especially if you own/have owned one.

Philips 4000 series automatic espresso machine.

Bean to cup. Ceramic grinder. Milk carafe.

Thanks chaps.

(I think there's one more available at PnP Woodmead)

post-68506-0-61462200-1580331708_thumb.jpgpost-68506-0-69978400-1580331719_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonesy

They grind measurably faster. Have not used them long enough to comment on wear but supposed to last for 4-5 tons of beans.

Subjectively espresso tastes "clearer", definitely blew life back in the ol' Super Jolly.

Always been keen to try them in my Super Jolly! 

Walk up the road and I will let you use a proper machine.... you will quickly understand - just pm me - happy to let you establish a decent baseline.

What's your current setup looking like these days anyway?