Coffee machine

MY DAUGHTER ALREADY STEPS UP WHEN I START THE MACHINE IN ANTISIPATION OF DADS FAILURE :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

ja ja...let them laugh, my wife did the same...lekker blerrie snaaks UNTIL

you make one, that is perfect and they take a sip, then its...

"honey, pls my usual". She is now such a coffee snob, sending coffees back at places saying its not right, the shot is sour etc etc.

Edited by rouxtjie

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the beans just arrived about 5 mins ago...I thought the edginess of proper coffee withdrawal was funny... you should see the fights about who is next in line!!!!

Settle down.... everything is cool....

http://media.giphy.com/media/czAlJgXRQjZCg/giphy.gif

Edited by RocknRolla

I don't drink milk with my espresso at all, but my wife like them cappuccino's. The problem is that my Caravel lever machine has an open boiler, so no steam.

I have to use a battery powered frother to foam the milk. These are the typical results:

post-4006-1423058023,7573.jpg

post-4006-1423058071,5572.jpg

post-4006-1423058091,2624.jpg

I definitely need to look at another machine so I can use steam as well !!

You need a revolution at work.... with a few beheadings and a lot of stone throwing... :)

Coffee is a basic human right..... Frisco is a crime against humanity.....

I would look for a different Job.

Agree with what V12man stated - coffee is basic condition of employment. Frisko is a crime against humanity.

i could not agree more, but they say its cost saving blah blah blah. No surprise that people arent willing to put in some overtime etc. i get my fix before and after work though

I don't drink milk with my espresso at all, but my wife like them cappuccino's. The problem is that my Caravel lever machine has an open boiler, so no steam.

I have to use a battery powered frother to foam the milk. These are the typical results:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1423058013.901136.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1423058070.047515.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1423058089.553929.jpg

I definitely need to look at another machine so I can use steam as well !!

Both my levers steam like crazy. The cremina is a bit more violent than the pavoni

SERIOUSLY never ever claimed to be a rocket scientist but this *** is ridiculous what can I be missing with the milk/froth

Cold milk check

Fresh full cream milk check

Steam check

Spout high ,low ,med, anywhere you want Fokol other than hot milk

SERIOUSLY never ever claimed to be a rocket scientist but this *** is ridiculous what can I be missing with the milk/froth

Cold milk check

Fresh full cream milk check

Steam check

Spout high ,low ,med, anywhere you want Fokol other than hot milk

Hahahaha. I feel your pain. First time I tried it I ended up with burns all over my hand. Flipping unpleasant. Pretty much have it nailed now.

V12 can give you better advice than I can but perhaps a noob will have insights V12 won't have since for him it's most likely second nature by now. On that assumption here is my 2cents

The important thing is to keep the tip just under the surface of the milk. It creates a kind is swirling whirlpool effect and that sucks some air down and into the milk. Too low and it doesn't suck the air down. Too high and it takes big gulps of air which makes the bubbles too large and you don't get the silky smooth foam you are looking for.

Once the stretch is about 30 to 40 % push the wand in further and keep it in motion basically just heating the milk

I'm sure others will have better technique but anyway that's my take.

...and now we are stuck without coffee. sure there is instant.. but did say i want coffee... not that crap in the glass bottle (starts with an N ends with an escafe...)

...We get something they call frisco, dont know what it is but its not coffee

Agreed, still better than Frisco, or that Nescafe instant rubbish.

AKA, Dirty dish water Edited by geraldm24

Thanks boys I am "doing all of the above" I guess just another 100l of milk and I might be close

One more little thing, I've found the wrong shape jug also makes it much harder to steam milk. I thought I was going mad... Switched jugs and I was useless.... Switched back, and creamy microfoam.

Thanks boys I am "doing all of the above" I guess just another 100l of milk and I might be close

Dip, I don't know your machine, but I struggled to get a decent microfoam out of mine until I read somewhere that some machines make too much steam for small quantities of milk. I blocked one of the (two) gaaitjies on my steam wand by shoving a toothpick into it and, bingo, silky foam.

Still haven't nailed latte art, though...

One more little thing, I've found the wrong shape jug also makes it much harder to steam milk. I thought I was going mad... Switched jugs and I was useless.... Switched back, and creamy microfoam.

Don't worry - Dips has the same jugs I use... :)

Best tip I got - aim at getting a sound like newspaper tearing. If its squealing, or bubbling, you're missing the mark

yip agree....I tilt the jug a bit and hit the milk with the steam at an angle....just below the surface. Then it makes that sound....and yes, fine fine foam...roll and moer...pour.  :thumbup:

Dip, I don't know your machine, but I struggled to get a decent microfoam out of mine until I read somewhere that some machines make too much steam for small quantities of milk. I blocked one of the (two) gaaitjies on my steam wand by shoving a toothpick into it and, bingo, silky foam.

Still haven't nailed latte art, though...

I am using a 4 hole tip on both LM's I use - you just have to be quick with small milk quantities... VERY quick...

To give you an idea - I can start the pour on the machine (volumetric button) then take the milk out of the fridge, open it, pour it in the jug, put the milk back in the fridge, then steam the milk - and sometimes I have to wait for the espresso to finish... usually a couple of seconds or so - and thats for 2 single caps.....

I find the normal mistakes I have seen people make are:

1 - Wet steam - this might be an issue for Dips given he has a SBDU machine

2 - Condensation in the steam want - so the first couple of seconds are just water coming out, and if you don't blow that off before using it, this seems to make a huge bubble of air in the milk that it's hard/impossible  to recover from.

3 - trying to make microfoam with steam - you have to suck some air in using the steam - so tip depth is important - and the sound it makes is very specific - too much air and you are blown - especially for latte art (and I am not an expert on pouring latte art....)

4 - Pouring latte art with microfoam with too much air in it - I think about a 30% stretch seems to work for me.

5 - Making the milk too hot - this tastes bad... I use my pinkie finger as a thermometer against the jug - but I when I started I used a milk thermometer and aimed fo rabout 65 degrees C - some people think the coffee is cold, but it's just right to drink immediately - can't leave it around... :)

6 - Going too fast - the easiest way to slow things down is to make the milk VERY cold - and freeze the jug too - this easily gives you another 10 seconds to work with when doing the steam - similar to blocking a hole in the wand - but I find that drops the steam power so much that the milk air mix is difficult to homogenise.

I am using a 4 hole tip on both LM's I use - you just have to be quick with small milk quantities... VERY quick...

To give you an idea - I can start the pour on the machine (volumetric button) then take the milk out of the fridge, open it, pour it in the jug, put the milk back in the fridge, then steam the milk - and sometimes I have to wait for the espresso to finish... usually a couple of seconds or so - and thats for 2 single caps.....

I find the normal mistakes I have seen people make are:

1 - Wet steam - this might be an issue for Dips given he has a SBDU machine( I MAKE SURE ALL THE WATER IS OUT)

2 - Condensation in the steam want - so the first couple of seconds are just water coming out, and if you don't blow that off before using it, this seems to make a huge bubble of air in the milk that it's hard/impossible  to recover from.

3 - trying to make microfoam with steam - you have to suck some air in using the steam - so tip depth is important - and the sound it makes is very specific - too much air and you are blown - especially for latte art (and I am not an expert on pouring latte art....) (I NEED THE MILK TO EVEN SLIGHTLY CHANGE FIRST :blush: )

4 - Pouring latte art with microfoam with too much air in it - I think about a 30% stretch seems to work for me.

5 - Making the milk too hot - this tastes bad... I use my pinkie finger as a thermometer against the jug -(CHECK) but I when I started I used a milk thermometer and aimed fo rabout 65 degrees C - some people think the coffee is cold, but it's just right to drink immediately - can't leave it around... :)

6 - Going too fast - the easiest way to slow things down(I THOUGHT FAST IS BEST :eek: ISNT FAST ALWAYS THE ANSWER) is to make the milk VERY cold - and freeze the jug too - this easily gives you another 10 seconds to work with when doing the steam - similar to blocking a hole in the wand - but I find that drops the steam power so much that the milk air mix is difficult to homogenise.(OK JUGS  ARE GOING INTO THE FRIDGE MASTER GRASSHOPPER WILL TRY THIS MADNESS)

OKES YOU HAVE CREATED A MONSTER V12 DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER MACHINES FOR SALE :whistling:  :whistling: FOR WORK