What has your bike cost you in terms of Rands per km.

funjunkie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

currently sitting at R4.12/km and going down all the time.if i add the dr's fees after 2 serious falls and operations i am bankrupt.if i add the enjoyment of riding welvanpas,hillcrest,contermans,majik and delvera of the longweekend,i say move over bill gates.

SS is about 7K and do about 1000km plus a month including commuting to work, so then that would mean after a few months she starts to show a profit and becomes an asset as I then do not need to drive a car to work. Should pay for itself in around 6-7 months then surely.

Works for me :thumbup:

My MTB is on about R360/km at the moment and hopefully coming down tonight! Completely meaningless as the resale value is considerably more than I paid for the bike...

Original bike: R2500 (2005)

Parts bought since: R+/- R6000

Total spent: +/- R8 500

Distance ridden last 12 months: +/- 2000km

Distance ridden pre-2011: +/- 2000km

R8500/4000km = R2.125 per km (and dropping!!!!!)

Less petrol money saved by commuting..........+/- R800

Interesting!

Cannondale 29er = R55.21/Km , fark steaks :cursing:

SS = 0,97c/km , bit better.

other bikes have done like a gizzilion km so not going to bother with them.

Bianchi must be about 0,50c/km

Damb best i start doing more km's on my Dale .

For such a simple piece of equipment, it's ridiculous that a bike costs so much more than a car per kilometre (despite a car doing +/- 4000rpm - which always boggles my mind, huge distances, huge braking & cornering & suspension forces, etc).

Purchase plus running costs of approx R30k . 4000 km in pas 13 About R7.50/ km but dropping rapidly. Once it gets below R5 I need to upgrade :)

BTW. This is not a cost - Rather an investment in Health and Sanity - and not necessarily in that order!!

Edited by Doggone

Another chance for those with expensive bikes to show off.... :whistling:

I see a few of comments about it being worth it for the smiles, laughs and enjoyment. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I'm sure those on cheaper bikes are having just as much fun and enjoyment. I know I am! :drool:

I also reckon average road cyclists push far more km than the average mountain bikers so perhaps a cost per hour would be more accurate an assessment. And would also account for those who ride slower ;)

35k for a new bike, one weekend away with my mates on a mtb mission .... priceless. i wont fix my car but be damned sure my bike's in for a service :D

Cycling is not a cheap alternative transport. It is a bloody expensive past time.

My car is cheaper to maintain

I would say my ride is about R2/km - need to get some more time in the saddle

If I went on original purchase price then it would be R 0.90 /km but upgrades ;)

My car has cost me R9000 in services and tyres for the past 4 years my MTb has cost me 12k in 4 years for new wheels, services , tyres , bits , bobs etc etc etc. Its crazy when u look at it like this.

Edited by Stevief

Well, I know a person who bought a R55000 mtb and did 100km with it. Do not like the bike.

But, there is a R30000 silverback with less km on in his garage.

His child rides the silverback to school now.

I also reckon average road cyclists push far more km than the average mountain bikers so perhaps a cost per hour would be more accurate an assessment. And would also account for those who ride slower ;)

I agree. Then we could also compare it to golf, movies, DSTV, computer games etc.

Spent R3000 on second hand and about R6000 on upgrades

Cycled about 1500 kms

so thats R 6 per km

need to cycle more

and that excluding services !!