Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

So in follow up to this, took the day off for my wife's birthday.  Packed the bikes in the car, packed a picnic etc.  Went off to Emmarentia, unpacked bikes, connected up the half bike, adjusted helmet straps, seat heights, put gloves on the right way round on the kiddies etc.  Rode off for about 5 minutes before my wife - not used to how strong disc brakes are - managed to go over her handlebars and test which was tougher - her chin or the tarmac.  So back to the car, tissues for the blood, calm the kiddies down who are now crying because mommy is bleeding, unhook half bike, remove helmets, put bikes back in the car and spend a good part of the rest of the day at the hospital!  Wife had abrasions on her shoulder, elbow, knee and 3 stitches in her chin. Bike had some minor damage to brake lever and handlebars but otherwise appears okay.  Cellphone screen cracked and new activity tracker (Christmas present) cracked to pieces.   :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :oops:

Luckily my wife is a tough cookie and will ride again!

Shame dude, terrible story, with the best intentions it didnt turn out the way you had planned, hope the missus gets better soon.

She will thank you later if the cycling bug bites.

On the bright side she wont have to fear an off too much as she has now been there and done that !

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not the actual in my hands pic, but still need to collect my wheelset from a good friend and well respected cyclist among the Cape Town crowd... Best part, still new and boxed.

Can't wait to run these at Tankwa.

BESTE keuse wat jy moontlik kon maak!

Jy gaan hulle so baie geniet. :)

So in follow up to this, took the day off for my wife's birthday. Packed the bikes in the car, packed a picnic etc. Went off to Emmarentia, unpacked bikes, connected up the half bike, adjusted helmet straps, seat heights, put gloves on the right way round on the kiddies etc. Rode off for about 5 minutes before my wife - not used to how strong disc brakes are - managed to go over her handlebars and test which was tougher - her chin or the tarmac. So back to the car, tissues for the blood, calm the kiddies down who are now crying because mommy is bleeding, unhook half bike, remove helmets, put bikes back in the car and spend a good part of the rest of the day at the hospital! Wife had abrasions on her shoulder, elbow, knee and 3 stitches in her chin. Bike had some minor damage to brake lever and handlebars but otherwise appears okay. Cellphone screen cracked and new activity tracker (Christmas present) cracked to pieces. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :eek: :eek: :eek: :oops:

Luckily my wife is a tough cookie and will ride again!

Sorry to hear about that, hope she recovers well and doesn't fear the bike! A similar thing almost happened to my gf(first ride ever) but I always told her use the rear brakes first before even thinking about laying a finger on the front brakes.

because watts matter (and I can't afford a PM)

shoutout to the guys at https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/ exactly 23hours since making payment the powecal is on my desk DT5f8JwW0AAkiBb.jpg

I don't want to bust your bubble, but don't expect any accurate power readings from it...

Edit: Would love to hear otherwise. So please give an update on it in the coming months.

Edited by Kalahari Vegmot

I don't want to bust your bubble, but don't expect any accurate power readings from it...

Edit: Would love to hear otherwise. So please give an update on it in the coming months.

I read the reviews  :thumbup: 

will be used to track over time and to get a better idea during long Z2/3 rides. 

I'll keep on using the Flux for intervals and accuracy. 

I used one for about 12 months a few years back.

Think I even started a thread on it.

Back then Power Meters started at like R15k so the R1k for the power cal was worth the inaccuracies. If memory serves me, for anything over 3min PPOs it was pretty damn accurate.

It does cause weird power spikes for shorter bursts. Also set your Garmin to show 5second average power... helps smooth it a bit.