Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

51 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Thanks Ebay! Just threw a cheeky offer (I's actually say bordering on the helluva cheeky) on this 2017 Tranny Smuggler that got excepted. 

• Full invisi-taped
• -1 degree headset
• one lady owner (apparently)
• 75.5 degrees seat angle
• 67.5 standard HA / 66.5 with headset
• 115mm of trail crushing bounce at the back and a 140mm fork waiting to be fitted. 

Now looking for a CC il Coil that will fit as that could be alot of fun! s-l1600.jpg.aef0f9b5f712fb41007b56f53adcf67a.jpg

Awesome stuff.

Have you bought bike on ebay before?how was the taxes and shipping cost?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, MajG said:

Awesome stuff.

Have you bought bike on ebay before?how was the taxes and shipping cost?

Bought a few frames before off Ebay and PB. Obviously with Ebay you get the protection factor. I've never had a bad experience but I alway do some research and have  good chat to the seller to look for red flags. Shipping and taxes all vary on size and weight but I've never had an experience where I've freaked out. Usually it's about R2k all in from memory but don't quote me on that. 

50 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Bought a few frames before off Ebay and PB. Obviously with Ebay you get the protection factor. I've never had a bad experience but I alway do some research and have  good chat to the seller to look for red flags. Shipping and taxes all vary on size and weight but I've never had an experience where I've freaked out. Usually it's about R2k all in from memory but don't quote me on that. 

I tried before but many don't like to ship to SA.

Will venture that route again, as pricing often good.

And find willing seller that will go thru shipping efforts 

7 minutes ago, MajG said:

I tried before but many don't like to ship to SA.

Will venture that route again, as pricing often good.

And find willing seller that will go thru shipping efforts 

That's what Aramex Global Shopper is there for. I don't think I've ever told anyone I'm down in Cape Town. To be honest if I was just a guy selling some stuff and someone said 'hey I'm in Africa, can I buy your gear and then make you ship it all the way down here' I'd freak out it was a scam and / or flick it off because no one wants to end up trying to work out shipping to the next town let alone all the way down to a country which they pretty much only think of once in a blue moon and then only about Mandela, safaris, Greg M and occasionally the Boks. 😀 See it, buy it, get it shipped to UK address of Aramex and wait. 

Old - new bike, 2017 RM Element.  To be honest the previous owner didn't do it any justice, pivots were probably never serviced/replaced, the fork needed a major service (on my other bike now), minor rust on the cassette and a lot of dings & scratches on the frame.  Edit:  Forgot to mention both rims were toast, at least I got a good deal on carbon ones to replace them.

I had to drop significant cash to get it back to its former glory.  Getting some vinyl protection today then we ready to roll .... ☺️

image.jpeg.d4aa6b6762b78b4b047086e7a61a00d9.jpeg

Edited by TheoG

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived just in time for this afternoon’s trails session.

image.jpeg.17555629d05492cd7e79cfbd1cb7fc19.jpeg

image.jpeg.be718461b7b86e1576e271bece7dbbf1.jpeg

I like the skateboard styling but with proppeh protection for gnarly trails or wet rides (the tongue is also fully gusseted, said the actress to the bishop…).

Edited by justinafrika

My Fairlight went in for a service and I used to opportunity to throw on a pair of Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge 42mms and, based on @Benky's recommendation, an 11-40 cassette (not because I have any aspirations of emulating his achievements, but because I'm fat and I need the extra range for hills). 

image.jpeg.f97d02a4a673ab6c1281e60fac5d9e4d.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Cardio Goth said:

My Fairlight went in for a service and I used to opportunity to throw on a pair of Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge 42mms and, based on @Benky's recommendation, an 11-40 cassette (not because I have any aspirations of emulating his achievements, but because I'm fat and I need the extra range for hills). 

I am running the same gearing on my bike, but I added a Wolftooth Roadlink DM to make the chain, cassette and rear mech to play nicer - especially in the big ring.

1 hour ago, Cardio Goth said:

Awesome setup, I run the same gear ratio too and it's awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a 100km MTB event on the weekend and after years and years of being a solid Hardtail fan I realised my old body needs a wee bit more comfort and thus a dual sus was needed. 

pulled the trigger on a Trance 1 (29) which should be in my garage towards the back end of next week. Got it for a great price too being NOS 2022 model and my local Giant store owner gave me some trinkets to go with it. ( 3rd bike I have bought there in 6 years ). 

like a kid at Christmas. 

IMG_0853.jpeg

On 9/8/2023 at 2:28 PM, justinafrika said:

Arrived just in time for this afternoon’s trails session.

image.jpeg.17555629d05492cd7e79cfbd1cb7fc19.jpeg

image.jpeg.be718461b7b86e1576e271bece7dbbf1.jpeg

I like the skateboard styling but with proppeh protection for gnarly trails or wet rides (the tongue is also fully gusseted, said the actress to the bishop…).

Had my eye on this shoes.

Let me know how it is,was concerned they are narrow for my wide feet and has no toe protection 

18 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Did a 100km MTB event on the weekend and after years and years of being a solid Hardtail fan I realised my old body needs a wee bit more comfort and thus a dual sus was needed. 

pulled the trigger on a Trance 1 (29) which should be in my garage towards the back end of next week. Got it for a great price too being NOS 2022 model and my local Giant store owner gave me some trinkets to go with it. ( 3rd bike I have bought there in 6 years ). 

like a kid at Christmas. 

IMG_0853.jpeg

Nice Bike Similar Geometry to a Merida 120 

Enjoy your Choice Even Though they are Heavier they are faster than Hardtails.

It will feel like a Rolls-Royce compared to a Hardtail.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:05 PM, Me rida my bicycle said:

Well she came out better than expected. 

There's just something about a raw frame especially in the sun light ☀ 👌🏻

Surprises :

the DebonAir spring feels so much better than older Rockshox, nice plush feeling without just running through all the travel 👌🏻

The budget friendly Deore shifts as good as the much more expensive XT. 👍🏻

All and all quite happy now for the next project 🤣😂

20230806_180018.jpg

20230806_175812.jpg

20230806_175918.jpg

20230806_175804.jpg

20230806_175859.jpg

20230806_175943.jpg

20230806_175821.jpg

How are those rims holding up? I'm surprised there are still some being ridden.
All the Mk3 rims eventually crack at the spoke holes. 
(the Mk4 rims are awesome though, if you ever need replacements)

26 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

How are those rims holding up? I'm surprised there are still some being ridden.
All the Mk3 rims eventually crack at the spoke holes. 
(the Mk4 rims are awesome though, if you ever need replacements)

Hi the rear is a mk4 and the front a s with the rings around the nippels. Only mk3 stickers to go with the bike.

Cwc replaced enough mk3's for me, every couple of months the Flow on the back of my Scott got replaced.

I had a Crest crack right around on a test ride on tar. I got up to stomp on the pedals and it sounded like a new rim just settling if only it was. 

That’s why on the bike I built this year the main thing was wheels and the bontrager line 30's has not missed a beat. Still look like new, still straight not a single snake bite those fat beads work as advertised 😁

1 minute ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Hi the rear is a mk4 and the front a s with the rings around the nippels. Only mk3 stickers to go with the bike.

Cwc replaced enough mk3's for me, every couple of months the Flow on the back of my Scott got replaced.

I had a Crest crack right around on a test ride on tar. I got up to stomp on the pedals and it sounded like a new rim just settling if only it was. 

That’s why on the bike I built this year the main thing was wheels and the bontrager line 30's has not missed a beat. Still look like new, still straight not a single snake bite those fat beads work as advertised 😁

Awesome, sounds like you're sorted!

Those Mk3 rims did nobody any favours....