2012 94.7

Agteros

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is actually horrible. Shame on the organisers! We all can't stop discussing cheating by taking performance enhancing drugs but slipping a car back or slipping a tandem or a bunch you don't belong in....that's ok.

I really think this year they (the organisers) weren't as good as previous years. I am wondering how much money was paid in by people for re-seeding only.

And yes you can't make everyone happy. I guess I am one of the unhappy people.

Did something happen in the vets group that influenced the results?

Some oversights from the organisers this year. They allowed far too many private vehicles on the route. Pedestrians are still a nuisance in Randburg. Plus points: Coke at the end, cool music along the route. Plenty bike marshals.

We sat on the pavement in the shade at the finish line, catching our breath, enjoying a coke (thumbup1.gif ). Some official thought it would be nice to shout over a megaphone to move on to the hospitality area. She kept on using the damn thing despite standing 2m away from us. Some dude eventually told her to 'PLEASE SHUT UP'. 8h30 is not really peak hour traffic time at the finish line.

Edited by Fester

Did something happen in the vets group that influenced the results?

Some oversights from the organisers this year. They allowed far too many private vehicles on the route. Pedestrians are still a nuisance in Randburg. Plus points: Coke at the end, cool music along the route. Plenty bike marshals.

We sat on the pavement in the shade at the finish line, catching our breath, enjoying a coke (http://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif ). Some official thought it would be nice to shout over a megaphone to move on to the hospitality area. She kept on using the damn thing despite standing 2m away from us. Some dude eventually told her to 'PLEASE SHUT UP'. 8h30 is not really peak hour traffic at the finish line.

Being a marshal at the finish I have sympathy for her, not her method of communication though, while there might not have been many riders at that time, later it will become an issue.

really? I thought it was much quieter along those Joburg roads than it is at the Argus. Except for Camps Bay, where people are too cool to clap. (eerie silence over there usually...) clap.gif

not so much the amount of people, just the vibe i find to be more alive? but again from a scenery perspective you cant beat the Argus, man its nice

Did anyone else see that bunch of happy clappies on the N14 on Sunday.

Some chic rattled a can under my nose at the same time that my left hammie said howzit.Major loss of sense of humour.

I thought I was hallucinating when I started hearing gospel music on the N14!

Not sure if someone has moaned about the stupid sticker numbers yet but yikkess those things were dangerous. Saw someone elses number go into a dude's brake calipers on a downhill. Logically they were a non-starter! Sweat and stickers do not work. At least they created jobs for people cause with the amount of stickers in town at 8am, I cant imagine the number at 10 or 11!!

Plus:

• Ice cold coke at the finish
  • More water points
  • Cool music and good vibe
  • Motorbike marshals
  • Near perfect weather

Minus

• Spending 2 hours in crappy traffic, trying to find parking just to pick up a number that lasted about 10min before it fell off
  • Number pickups in Jhb
  • Crappy numbers littering the streets all over the place
  • Loads more potholes than usual. Just realised how bad our country's roads are getting
  • No CSA at VA, VB or VC. What is my license fee doing if they are not there to marshal races?
  • Not a good expo. Bazaar with loads of sales instead of show casing.

Hey, got me too!!! Or, err...well sort of...

This is me (second from right in white) climbing past the bunch...no, really...! whistling.gif

post-36036-0-26815200-1353408335_thumb.jpg

+ for all the water points . . .

Did you guys saw city of JHB's water point . . . banana point on the N14

On the down hill 300m before the Total garage . . . our group ( a mix of A back markers like myself , B and C riders were going down ther at +_ 50 - 60 km/h

probably worked as a food point for the back markers ?

Yep, + + for the water points...and I should probably share this:

So I get home at around 2 and immediately head down to the swimming pool at our security complex and guess what...cooling off are 5 of the fine ladies who danced the first session at the Coca Cola water point...it turns out one of them live a few houses from me and invited her friends to cool off after the day's entertainment.

A fine day it was...

My Speedo registered 92.99 km from line to line. (Checked it against a garmin or two. 100% accurate.)

Those racing lines through the corners must have helped a bit.

I agree on the plus points but not on all the negatives except for one thing:

"Hosted by the city of Jo'burg. A world class African City Sewer."

Time the mayor did some work and got the place cleaned and fixed up instead of losing billions.

Fix the potholes and the sewers you chop!! The road surfaces are appalling. They resemble the work ethic of the ANC by and large. Rough and almost non existent. Just holes held together by bits of tar.

Thanks, glad to see some of you guys appreciating the Think BIke Marshals. Bloody long day for us, we were on station at 4 AM and rode in with the last riders around 4:30 PM. Most of us did at least 3 circuits with one or two doing 4. With travelling we did anywhere from 350 to 480 KMs on the day. We were 43 on the road plus 3 in the JOC and then our CREW who kept us fed and hydrated. Our biggest problem on the day was keeping hydrated under our leathers and protective gear. As much as I tried, my wife would not let me put my sweaty helmet in the wshing machine.mellow.png Off road rescue and Netcare 911 need a mention here too.