Cycling SA Olympic Squad Announced

Matt

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No to my eyes.

Ya, response will be interesting. Think this was a predictable result though, given past hearings, think it highlights a need for a neutral sports arbitration body.

Ya, response will be interesting. Think this was a predictable result though, given past hearings, think it highlights a need for a neutral sports arbitration body.

That and the fact that she is still pretty much appealing to the eye.

Sorry Burry :blush:

What is the "strict criteria" been mentioned, we all know to well what Cherise is capable of and her UCI raking proves it.

Team sport -workers required to work for Ash is good and well, no issue with that BUT has this been discussed with Cherise before and has she been given a chance to reply?

Reading between the lines it means that Cherise is a disruptive force and not a team players based on the selectors reasoning is all that one can assume.

Cherise you know your abilities and where you now stand with CSA with regards road cycling. We feel for you.

A certain financier/owner/manager/coach/liasion has a great deal to do with this if one follows the story from the time Cherise left MTN and joined the Toyota squad. looking at CS position on the UCI ranking list and her achievments over the past two years versus the other ladies Ashley excluded one wonders what criteria was actually used and what CS done to get on the wrong side of the selectors.

One issue that has come to light the ladies recent trip to ride for Lotto was the manner a certain rider would attack CS on every possible break whether Ashely was in the break or not even though they rode for the same team( trying to secure UCI points)

CS has a proven track record over the past few years and derserves her place on the team simply by judging the UCI ranking and her races raced.

The only thing I can imagine her not been in the team might be disciplinary reasons.

This is so typical of SA sport. Its not "what you know" buy "who you know".

Been there, done that.....

I agree with Mallo. I knew they wouldn't just change the selection, how do you tell someone who was selected that sorry they now can't go??

They are just screwing their chance of a medal, stupid idiots. I have never ever seen Cherise as a none team member and yet they make her out to be like that.

Just to let you know that we are behind you Cherise and rooting for your court case :).

It's a tough one to fight because if 6 ladies made the criteria and you can send only 3. Even though you are second in ranking the others still made criteria??

In my opinion, time to go ride overseas and get your real worth.

What is the "strict criteria" been mentioned, we all know to well what Cherise is capable of and her UCI raking proves it.

Team sport -workers required to work for Ash is good and well, no issue with that BUT has this been discussed with Cherise before and has she been given a chance to reply?

Reading between the lines it means that Cherise is a disruptive force and not a team players based on the selectors reasoning is all that one can assume.

Cherise you know your abilities and where you now stand with CSA with regards road cycling. We feel for you.

Mallo, what's next? Can this be taken to SASCOC? Or are the courts the only alternative?

And we amateurs paying everyones salary at CSA with our license fees doesnt have a say in all of this........

And we amateurs paying everyones salary at CSA with our license fees doesnt have a say in all of this........

Yeah, we have probably been paying for a nice bit of legal fees as well !

Actually that's not true, there's only one or two people at CSA earning a salary. Most of the positions are voluntary.

We do have a say through our club/provincial memberships.

How many of us actually attend any club meetings/agms to give inputs?

There are a lot of committed people at CSA and the affiliates who volunteer a lot of time and dedication, often this does get countered by some really poor decision making. Like a lot of the subterfuge surrounding this olympic selection unfortunately.

Anyone can see that Cherise did enough to make the team as an individual, BUT Ashleigh is just as clearly the #1. The issue revolves around the best possible result for the team, and I have no clue as to what the best bet there is. Sympathy for Cherise, but I'm not going to lose too much sleep over a world #98 not being at the Olympics. I'd be surprised if we even get a top 10 from this ladies team.

I just hope that cherise's new husband can move on and positive this into positive energy. Susi made his peace after not being selected. The kid needs all the help we can give him to beat the swissboyz, kulhavy, frenchie and hermida.

If you cast your eyes out of our little corral you will see that there are olympic selection wrangles going on everywhere.

In Britain the world #1 Aaron Cook has not been selected for the team. YIP, BEST in the WORLD, but not good enough for olympics. (it's not that simple, but as you will notice when reading further) - http://www.euronews....row-rumbles-on/

India do pretty crap for such a big country. But doubles tennis they are the ****. If only they could all get along

But in the men's doubles, India's top player Leander Paes, the world No 7, was paired with 209th-ranked Vishnu Vardhan, after Rohan Bopanna (13) and Mahesh Bhupathi (15) both said they would not play with him for a string of personal and professional reasons.

edit: i forgot to mention some other REALLY exciting selections, the kenyan marathon team, 3000m and steeplechase teams. the jamaican sprinting team.

Edited by The Dictator

Reading the criteria based on selection policy on the CSA webiste there is CLEARLY no way Cherise could be left out of the team EXCEPT for her possibly not been a "TEAM PLAYER".COME on CSA lay the facts bare to put the matter to rest, if not then Cherise should continue her case through the courts.

Some of the policy as on the website:

2. SELECTIONS

The Selections for the Olympic Games will be done according to these regulations and qualifications of the UCI &

SASCOC which can be found on www.uci.ch and www.roadtolondon.co.za

5.8 Automatic Selections

5.8.1 One (1) of the top four (4) South-African cyclists inside the top 100 overall on UCI Road Cycling

Classification at 1 September of the previous year until 24 August of the year of the World

Championships, will be selected. The selection of this cyclist will be based on suitability and

demonstrated ability during the UCI competition period to deliver medal winning performances on a

road race course of similar profile and/or characteristics of the World Road Race Championship.

5.9.2 In no specific order of priority, National Selectors will consider the following factors pertaining to

performances in UCI women’s road race events for the first 8 months of the year of World

Championships:

i. individual performances/results in local and international road race events

ii. a cyclist’s demonstrated ability to perform a team role as a domestique, servicing team

leaders. Team results will be considered within this assessment.

iii. demonstrated technical and leadership qualities

iv. demonstrated qualities, skills and suitability of the cyclist to the proposed course for the

World Championship

v.

Particular regard will be given to a cyclist’s demonstrated ability for teamwork, team

cohesion and consistency of performance

Dictator difference with your examples and SA squad is miles apart. Our ladies team in my opinion only has two persons with possible chance at top 10 finish (Ashley and Cherise)

The Kenyan mens team for example had 54 qualifiers to fill 4 positions and they stuck to the laid down criteria, same for their ladies team with 17 qualifirs.