Cycling SA Olympic Squad Announced

Matt

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks TimW.

That's a great post and not just stompies from bits and pieces people read from websites and other news updates.

To me it seems that CSA made a mistake.

I have to ask myself one thing though, if I was Cherise and I get to go at the last minute, would I really want to give my best for this country ?

I will take bets that if she was to go and if she was to do well, CSA will be the first bunch of hypocrites who will stand up and say that they were glad they made the right descision.

CSA.....what a bunch of fools!.......if they cock up, they cock up in a way unimaginable!!

Who were the initial selectors???

CHERISE STANDER (nee TAYLOR) OLYMPIC SELECTION APPEAL STATEMENT Featured

I have decided not to take my Olympic Games non-selection on review to the High Court. It was a very difficult decision to make, since the appeal ruling of Cycling South Africa (CSA) is fatally flawed. At the appeal hearing the appeal panel found that I was correct in stating that certain selection criteria were to be applied which selection criteria CSA prior thereto stated was not applicable. The appeal panel also found that certain ranking points had to be achieved between the period 1 October 2011 until 31 May 2012.

During the appeal process it was put to the appeal panel that one of the selected riders did not qualify during such period for the relevant ranking points which in turn made her illegible for consideration of selection in terms of the CSA Selection Policy.

For an inexplicable reason the appeal panel stated that the particular cyclist had indeed achieved such ranking points, where it is clearly ascertainable that she did in fact not do so, but obtained the ranking points in July 2011, which falls outside the applicable period. One can only speculate as to why the appeal panel stated that the rider had obtained these points in circumstances where they must know that it falls outside the very period found to be applicable by the appeal panel.

It may be that if I am successful in the High Court review proceedings that CSA will appeal this ruling which will result that the High Court appeal will only be heard well after conclusion of the Olympics.

I feel it is the right decision not to pursue the matter any further. Unfortunately, it means that I will not be representing South Africa at the London Olympic Games, but I feel satisfied in knowing that I have successfully achieved the following:

Exposed a significant flaw in the CSA Olympic selection process.

Proved that it is possible to stand up for what I feel is right and be successful.

Shown future generations of talented South African cyclists that they must analyse and question everything and not just accept it. While we enjoy what we do, this is our profession and not our hobby. Our sport’s administrators need to take it as seriously as we do.

My decision has also been made in the interests of stability and of South African women achieving success at the London Olympic Games. I know that by continuing with the High Court proceedings, there would be a continuation of the current atmosphere of extreme negativity.

Although my fight has not been with my fellow cyclists, but rather with CSA, I have been on the receiving end of some unsavoury treatment over the past few days. It was never my intention for this to become personal, but rather a battle of principles. It is indeed sad that I have received a negative response from certain quarters for a matter which is fully within my rights to question, and which turned out to be of full merit in accordance with the selection criteria which were supposedly to apply.

I would like to thank everyone that has stood by me for their support during this period of conflict.

I am 22 years old and have a long, exciting professional racing career ahead of me. I would rather look ahead than look back. I would also like to wish my fellow South Africans Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, Joanna van de Winkel and Robyn de Groot all the very best for the London Olympic Games.

Cherise Stander.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Well done Cherise you made your point, now go out and do what you do best "Ride your bikes" prove your worth at both disciplines.

Pity how CSA over the years stiffled our lady riders abilities and international exposure with their own interests

Anke Erlank

Anriette Schoeman

Ronel van Wyk

Casandra Slingerland

Now Cherise Stander "hope this is the end" and that CSA will do right in the future

I hope the future stars such as An-Li,Dalton sisters, the youngster from PE (Her name escapes me) are going to benefit from this mishap.

Well done Cherise you made your point, now go out and do what you do best "Ride your bikes" prove your worth at both disciplines. Pity how CSA over the years stiffled our lady riders abilities and international exposure with their own interests Anke Erlank etc
Now that girl Anke could ride a bike! Besides fighting a losing battle with CSA in court, I suppose Cherise sat down and made the calculations. High Court applications/court days aren't cheap, a few thousand rand per day.And if CSA is willing to fight it tooth and nail to win, she'll end up paying their costs as well. Edited by Fester

Big up to Cherise!

Great response to a crappy situation.

She'll let her legs to the talking, I'm sure!

(maybe they'll do the walking too - to New Zealand _- like Anke)

Now that girl Anke could ride a bike!

Besides fighting a losing battle with CSA in court, I suppose Cherise sat down and made the calculations. High Court applications/court days aren't cheap, a few thousand rand per day.And if CS is willing to fight it tooth and nail to win, she'll end up paying their costs as well.

4 July was the deadline to submit names to the London Olympic Committee. So even if she would win the case past this deadline, she would not be able to go.

The SA women are doing awesome in the Grio Donne (Tour of Italy - toughest women's Tour on the calendar):

Ash and Jo are 10th and 17th on gc, respectively (after 5 of 9 stages). Cherise got 10th on stage 5. Awesome results thus far!!

Now that girl Anke could ride a bike! Besides fighting a losing battle with CSA in court, I suppose Cherise sat down and made the calculations. High Court applications/court days aren't cheap, a few thousand rand per day.And if CSA is willing to fight it tooth and nail to win, she'll end up paying their costs as well.

Remember Andrew Maclean rambling on about how terrible women's racing was in those days? all because nobody wanted to attack Anke - they literally had to pootle along and try to force a sprint - if they attacked, she just put the hammer down - HARD!

Regarding Cherise Stander, I really think she needs to be based in Europe more or less permanently. She really has the goods. I think she is capable of winning big races in Europe, she just needs to be in the right setup.

Come to think of it, Burry would be a great Tour rider! Maybe a ProTour team will try and entice him someday.

Edited by Chro Mo

Shame, sounds like Cherise is having a bit of a tough time with her team mates at the Giro Donne all because she stood up for herself.

You have more than enough people behind you Cherise. Go show them what you really deserve.

Shame, sounds like Cherise is having a bit of a tough time with her team mates at the Giro Donne all because she stood up for herself.

You have more than enough people behind you Cherise. Go show them what you really deserve.

My sources say that isn't the case though, they all get along well...