AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Curious to see a photo if you can do that.

Yo dude, 3 photos. As you can see the centre knobs are essentially completely worn down to the point where there is no braking edge anymore. It's massively noticeable especially on steeper descents. Some side knobs are not in great shape either. The casing is still perfecto :)

post-10323-0-58377900-1612287516_thumb.jpg

post-10323-0-35475200-1612287523_thumb.jpg

post-10323-0-07849400-1612287530_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.... I was talking about this the other day. Someone asked why I was selling my defender90. 

One of the reasons would be the 3k a piece tires. I always thought that was absolute robbery. Then I needed new MTB tires and thought 'I get at least 100000km out of a set of 'road' tires on the landy. I will be lucky to get 2000km on my bike tires, so my Landy town tires actually work out cheaper. Nuts.

It's still for sale. I also want a car that goes faster than 127kph and can fit the wife and the kid in without having one of them sit in the boot.

Sorry for the off topic rant

is it a petrol or diesel defender?

I have no experience with Minions. Haven't ridden dhr or dhf.

My experience with maxxis is that they wear very quick. I also tend to break the side knobbies off. I believe the newer ones are better. But I am happy with my conti's . They seem to last a longtime, have nice and thick sidewalls and grip for days.

I bought mine 7 Feb last year. They took forever to get here due to lockdown. Think it was about 4 months. I payed R850 for the set, R300 shipping and no duties. Got lucky on that.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Yes.... I was talking about this the other day. Someone asked why I was selling my defender90. 

One of the reasons would be the 3k a piece tires. I always thought that was absolute robbery. Then I needed new MTB tires and thought 'I get at least 100000km out of a set of 'road' tires on the landy. I will be lucky to get 2000km on my bike tires, so my Landy town tires actually work out cheaper. Nuts.

It's still for sale. I also want a car that goes faster than 127kph and can fit the wife and the kid in without having one of them sit in the boot.

Sorry for the off topic rant

you need good tyres on the bicycle so that you can cycle home when you take your landy for a drive.

My experience with maxxis is that they wear very quick. I also tend to break the side knobbies off. I believe the newer ones are better. But I am happy with my conti's . They seem to last a longtime, have nice and thick sidewalls and grip for days.

I bought mine 7 Feb last year. They took forever to get here due to lockdown. Think it was about 4 months. I payed R850 for the set, R300 shipping and no duties. Got lucky on that.

where did you buy from ?

is it a petrol or diesel defender?

It is the 300 Tdi 2.5...

Who owns a Petrol Defender... pffft!  :ph34r:  :devil:

It has actually be relatively trouble free. I put a brand new gear box in 4 years ago, tail end of last year had the head scanned and checked and put new gaskets in, new brake booster in November..... 4 new tires last year and it is currently at the panel shop being completely stripped and re sprayed.

1999 model with 205 000km on the clock.

Hijack off.

Edited by Jewbacca

The Max Grip only comes on DH and DD casing tires to my knowledge.

Nope, I've got a MaxxGrip DHRII with the Exo casing (not even Exo+) on the front of my enduro bike. It's the tyre that came with the bike.

Okes...DHRII...what a useless tyre out rear ITO braking performance  :thumbdown:  Wow it just let's go whenever it wants to. That Butcher Jewwie was talking about earlier...man what a rear tyre, wow!

Man how i wish @rushSports would bring in DD casing. So many people I know are literally ordering tyres from overseas (as many have said here) simply because the local agents think there's no market for it.

Make sure to hound your LBS so they can give proper feedback to the agents :)

It is the 300 Tdi 2.5...

Who owns a Petrol Defender... pffft!  :ph34r:  :devil:

It has actually be relatively trouble free. I put a brand new gear box in 4 years ago, tail end of last year had the head scanned and checked and put new gaskets in, new brake booster in November..... 4 new tires last year and it is currently at the panel shop being completely stripped and re sprayed.

1999 model with 205 000km on the clock.

Hijack off.

Nice!!!!

I like diesels. However the 2.8 bmw petrol engine 90...... hmmm I wouldnt mind this.

I have never ridden a tire with better braking performance than a DHR2  :ph34r:

Okes...DHRII...what a useless tyre out rear ITO braking performance  :thumbdown:  Wow it just let's go whenever it wants to. That Butcher Jewwie was talking about earlier...man what a rear tyre, wow!

Man how i wish @rushSports would bring in DD casing. So many people I know are literally ordering tyres from overseas (as many have said here) simply because the local agents think there's no market for it.

I had a couple of dhr2's in 26 a few years back - those really worse down quickly to the extent that I managed to do my most amazing no brake rear slide complete with dust for Africa thanks to the almost non existent grip :-) 

That said, my Aggressors have worn well - the hard center knobs help and the side knobs are fine front and back. My Ardents have worn really well too.

I have never ridden a tire with better braking performance than a DHR2  :ph34r:

Hahaha then I can only assume you were previously riding slicks

My mission is to find the front tyre that offers the best combination for SA conditions - i.e the fastest rolling and acceptable grip in the corners. I am relatively happy with the Aggressor up front ( ya I know its generally considered a rear only) but I'm wondering if a Disector might not be better still? Anyone tried one up front? 

My mission is to find the front tyre that offers the best combination for SA conditions - i.e the fastest rolling and acceptable grip in the corners. I am relatively happy with the Aggressor up front ( ya I know its generally considered a rear only) but I'm wondering if a Disector might not be better still? Anyone tried one up front? 

I have not, but I can wholly vouch for the Spez Eliminator as as workign very well around Signal Hill, Tokai, Tygerberm and Jonkers. Rolld fast IMO as well adn the grip is very good all round, even in the very damp