AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Or maybe I just don't "AM" the Ardents properly :-)  

It was my go to tyre combo on my hardtail for a long time - I really like the ardent up front, ardent race out back... Just not an AM combo in my mind. Had too many close calls with that combo when I rode it where it was not mean to be ridden. Maybe that was just my lack of skill

I have used the Ardent's on various bikes.

On the front the Ardent is certainly an ok tyre, on the rear though I found it to fish tail / slide out very easily on straight line braking...though this was more so on the 2.25" vers the 2.4" carcass.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the Ardent's on various bikes.

On the front the Ardent is certainly an ok tyre, on the rear though I found it to fish tail / slide out very easily on straight line braking...though this was more so on the 2.25" vers the 2.4" carcass.

Maybe you just use too much back brake bru?

Anyone have an idea what compound the OEM (White text) Maxxis DHR2's are? It states Maxxis Minion DHR II 29x2.4 WT, EXO, TR, tubeless ready, but no mention of the compound used. (Maxx Grp / Maxx Terra / Maxx Speed). I think it's probably the Maxx Terra or maybe even Maxx grip as it's wearing relatively fast, even mounted on the front.

Anyone have an idea what compound the OEM (White text) Maxxis DHR2's are? It states Maxxis Minion DHR II 29x2.4 WT, EXO, TR, tubeless ready, but no mention of the compound used. (Maxx Grp / Maxx Terra / Maxx Speed). I think it's probably the Maxx Terra or maybe even Maxx grip as it's wearing relatively fast, even mounted on the front.

If it doesn't have the compound stated it is probably the "Dual" compound that they typically spec for rear tires. The Max Grip only comes on DH and DD casing tires to my knowledge. There is no Maxx Speed DHR2 Minion.

Am I late to the party?

I've recently been running a new Butcher gripton grid on the front and a Purgatory grid gripton on the rear.

I am impressed.

The new Butcher is way less 'floaty' and the Purgatory out back rolls fast in a straight line and bites just enough when leaned over to keep you in control.

I'm happy. They seem like way less tire (rolling resistance/weight/feel) than the Maxxis DHF/DHR Aggressor combo and have been pretty bullet proof for a while now.

No idea what I will buy when they go. I suppose what ever doesn't cost 1300zar a piece!

Aquila is way better than the Ibex. And I was an ardent Ibex fan.

Maybe a better question would be: Should I rather spend R2k for a set of Maxxis DHR2 or R1.4k for 2 Aquila's?

Isn't it shocking that a pair of bike tyres cost more than 2 car tyres, or at least some car tyres.

Yes.... I was talking about this the other day. Someone asked why I was selling my defender90. 

One of the reasons would be the 3k a piece tires. I always thought that was absolute robbery. Then I needed new MTB tires and thought 'I get at least 100000km out of a set of 'road' tires on the landy. I will be lucky to get 2000km on my bike tires, so my Landy town tires actually work out cheaper. Nuts.

It's still for sale. I also want a car that goes faster than 127kph and can fit the wife and the kid in without having one of them sit in the boot.

Sorry for the off topic rant

Isn't it shocking that a pair of bike tyres cost more than 2 car tyres, or at least some car tyres.

It's silly and they don't last nearly as long. Maybe a better comparison would be motorcycle tires. They are also pretty expensive, but last longer than mtb tires.

I saw some DHR2 (29 & 27.5) for under R700 locally and I'm tempted to buy them and keep them if I didn't already have spares.

Maybe a better question would be: Should I rather spend R2k for a set of Maxxis DHR2 or R1.4k for 2 Aquila's?

Aquila - not just for the price difference, but it looks like a nice tire. Designed by Gwin and gets good reviews.

I have no experience with Minions. Haven't ridden dhr or dhf.

I don't put cheap tyres on my cars either.

I also operate a fleet of trucks.

MTB tyre costs pale into significance.

Yes.... I was talking about this the other day. Someone asked why I was selling my defender90. 

One of the reasons would be the 3k a piece tires. I always thought that was absolute robbery. Then I needed new MTB tires and thought 'I get at least 100000km out of a set of 'road' tires on the landy. I will be lucky to get 2000km on my bike tires, so my Landy town tires actually work out cheaper. Nuts.

It's still for sale. I also want a car that goes faster than 127kph and can fit the wife and the kid in without having one of them sit in the boot.

Sorry for the off topic rant

Yes, but the 2000km on the bike will be all smiles, the 100k km in the Landy (or any car for that matter? 

Bike for me any day

+\+-Yes, but the 2000km on the bike will be all smiles, the 100k km in the Landy (or any car for that matter? 

Bike for me any day

It was never a question of 'which one is better'... I ride the mtb more frequently than I drive my car.

I was more ranting about MTB tire costs and 'perspective' over what constitutes 'expensive' when it comes to hobbies vs necessities