AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Running a DHR II 2.6 upfront and a DFR 2.5 at the rear on 29" rims with 27.2 internal width.

DHR has slights less dead space than DHF in my experience. 

Lots of my riding is done on very slippery hardpack with small loose gravel. I've managed to slide the front wheel on one occasion where I felt the tyre failed me, on two other occasions it was at slow speed and tyre placing was plain wrong (root and rut respectively).  Each time the trails was particularly dried-out. On a wetter trail I've taken the first corner above fast and low with success. On inspection of the tracks afterwards you could see the slide and grip clearly. 

I have both an Agressor 2.5 and DHR Ii 2.3 waiting in the wings. Both for the rear. Looking for an Assegai 2.5 at a decent price point. 

in which area are you?

1. your trails sound like fun

2. Black Sheep Bikes in CT are selling the 29x2.5" WT Assegai's at very reasonable prices, and they have stock at the moment.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone used a Dissector up front?  I just got one 29 2.4 WT.  Looks like it would be awesome upfront and its pretty low weight?  Measures approx 875g!

Need to swop the rubber off my brilliant XR4 Bontangers.  They finally after 2 years starting to wear.  I wouldve got another set as they really were suprisingly brilliant in most conditions.  

I ride all The WC trails and with all the climbing we do i want a strong tire that can climb well and deal with all the rocks etc .  The DHF was a bit heavy for my liking so got the Dissector.  I see its designed as a rear but anyone here ever ran one upfront?

in which area are you?

1. your trails sound like fun

2. Black Sheep Bikes in CT are selling the 29x2.5" WT Assegai's at very reasonable prices, and they have stock at the moment.

KZN

Private estate called Phezulu, recently the trails were open to the public. They made it more rider friendly, took some of the fun away... Still awesome to have it in your backyard.

Also do Giba often

I'm still running 2.5 Aggressors front and rear. Cant really fault them. I think these days there are very few tyres that dont work. Tread patterns are all quite similar. I recall the early Hans Dampf pattern was rubbish with cheesy side knobs.

Hairy, sounds like you're over tyred with that monster up front :-)

I'm still running 2.5 Aggressors front and rear. Cant really fault them. I think these days there are very few tyres that dont work. Tread patterns are all quite similar. I recall the early Hans Dampf pattern was rubbish with cheesy side knobs.

Hairy, sounds like you're over tyred with that monster up front :-)

Nah .... one can never over tyre the front ... :P

What I did learn from the Assegai though, is that my next rear tyre will certainly also be a EXO +  carcass vs the std EXO!

I clock in at 95kg's in my birthday suit, the + casing just feels more stable.

• 3 weeks later...

Nah .... one can never over tyre the front ... :P

What I did learn from the Assegai though, is that my next rear tyre will certainly also be a EXO + carcass vs the std EXO!

I clock in at 95kg's in my birthday suit, the + casing just feels more stable.

What learnt about the ass-gai was rolling resistance is a really, real thing and that tbing for a mere mortal is a handbreak with weight. No, I’m not chasing koms, yes I value traction over max speed but even though I don’t need to feel like I have to pedal down hill especially when there are good tyres that weigh less, stick well and roll faster. If I was going full gnar in epic dh conditions they yes,yes, yes. But I don’t I live and ride in the western cape who is no where near as roff as the places the mags test & review this gear.

• 5 months later...

Maxxis DHR2 29 2.4 on the front and DHF 29 2.4 on the rear. Recently swapped them around and I like the DHR2 on the front. The transition area between the center and side knobs is less than with the DHF. The DHF at the back feels a slight bit more drifty (I think), but I'm fine with that. The DHR2 compound seems to be softer than the DHF, so I think it may last longer on the front.

I'm keen to try a Dissector on the back, but it also seems to have a similar transition area to the DHF.

I saw some CST Rock Hawks at my LBS and they look pretty decent for the price (R500). Might try it as a rear tire, although it does look like it may be a slower rolling tire. https://www.csttires.com/int/tire/rock-hawk-c1844/

Edited by MrJacques

• 1 month later...

Any opinions on the Onza Aquila 29x2.4 Trail Tire? Keen to try them. Will fit front and back.

Got one on the front been running for a while. I love it. I've never felt like it's let me down ever ie extremely predictable. Mounted on 29mm ID rim it's got a great overall profile

I paired mine with a Ibex for the rear which in the same amount of time needs to be binned. I ride a fair amount of tar from my house to table mountain, and the tyres have maybe a year on them, i woulda save close to 5000km.

I got mine on sale from trail tech cycles at R450 a tyre which made them extremely worthwhile

Got one on the front been running for a while. I love it. I've never felt like it's let me down ever ie extremely predictable. Mounted on 29mm ID rim it's got a great overall profile

I paired mine with a Ibex for the rear which in the same amount of time needs to be binned. I ride a fair amount of tar from my house to table mountain, and the tyres have maybe a year on them, i woulda save close to 5000km.

I got mine on sale from trail tech cycles at R450 a tyre which made them extremely worthwhile

Thanks. How do you rate them against Minions? I want to try the Aquila but my previous experience with the Onza Ibex was not pleasant. So I am weary of the brand.

Thanks. How do you rate them against Minions? I want to try the Aquila but my previous experience with the Onza Ibex was not pleasant. So I am weary of the brand.

Minion DHF is still my number currently on a Assegai and although I'm finally starting to get the hang of it, i still say it's too early to assess.

The softer compound of the onza means it's stickier than most. I am however on the one hand cheap hence i bought the onzas and on the other a maxxis fan ????

Aquila is way better than the Ibex. And I was an ardent Ibex fan.

Aquila is way better than the Ibex. And I was an Ardent Ibex fan.

There it is. hidden in plain sight.

Maxxis Ardent or Ardent race. Have been a staple for me in Swaziland and Mpumalanga trails, good stable tyre.

There it is. hidden in plain sight.

Maxxis Ardent or Ardent race. Have been a staple for me in Swaziland and Mpumalanga trails, good stable tyre.

Good XC and marathon combo, my favourite in fact. Definitely not an AM combo at all...

I pulled the trigger on a set of Versus all mountain tyres in the trail casing, 29x2.4" flavour. I went for them in the Yellow paint splatter edition - definitely not for everyone, but I though it was something different, and I like something different. 

Very very nice tyres, the grip like DHR2s,no surprise there since the tread pattern is nearly identical. The compound is a bit harder though, so they roll faster and should last a bit longer. I am very happy with them. What I am not so happy about is the paint splatter effect. After just 2 weeks about 50% of it is gone. I was under the impression the actual rubber of the tyre was dyed, and that those dyed pieces were mixed into the tyre. Although some if it is, it seems there are lots of pieces of the dyed rubber that is just on the surface of the tyre, so they come off quickly. I wouldn't care if it all came off, but at the end of the day I predict 80% of it will come off, and then the tyre is just going to look dirty.

Anyway, long story short, it's a lekker tyre, it strikes a good balance between grip and rolling resistance, it seats easily, and has nice volume, what seems to be a sturdy casing. The jury is still out on longevity. 

Would I order again? Probably not. Seeing as they are essentially DHR2s at a higher cost due to having to import them from the US. The higher cost would have been justified for the uniqueness factor of the paint splatter - but that comes off. 

post-82251-0-92198800-1612250299_thumb.jpg