Post your Pyga

PYGA1

thats the borderline, you can prob get away with a medium cage, if it is a hard tail, but if a dual suspension, and 11-42, and you running a 32 at the font, and you might want a 34 later, or might want to go double, keep the option open and just get the SGS cage.

G

My bike isn't a Pyga but it came with a full XT 2x10 group and med cage (GS) RD. This same RD is working just fine as a 1x10 with converted 11-42 cassette. The GS RD has a 39t capacity and your 11-42 cassette only needs 31t.

If you go standard 2x10 you'll need 37t capacity ( 38-26 with 11-36 cassette). I was able to use 38-24 on the front with the med cage.

Chain growth can be an issue though. Not sure how much chain growth you get on the Pyga.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats the borderline, you can prob get away with a medium cage, if it is a hard tail, but if a dual suspension, and 11-42, and you running a 32 at the font, and you might want a 34 later, or might want to go double, keep the option open and just get the SGS cage.

G

I'm running a xt medium cage, 11-42 with 34 up front - no problems.

you ok, if thats with a single up front, will become a problem if you run a dual up front.

that'll be outside the "ok" as per shimano.

G

I'm running a xt medium cage, 11-42 with 34 up front - no problems.

The long cage SGS RD is primarily made for 3x systems. 3x is still an option in 10spd XT. The SGS can accomodate 22-32-44 up front with a 11-36 at the rear.

I have a SGS as a spare RD and it works for 1x10. It could allow you to change a chainring up or down one size without adjusting the chain length. Could be convenient but generally I prefer the med cage for 1x and 2x. Less chain bouncing around.

Edited by JXV

;)

Bibi, what is the benefit of running the Zee mech with a RAD cage as opposed to short cage XT or SLX mech?

What is needed to change to the RAD cage?

Bibi, what is the benefit of running the Zee mech with a RAD cage as opposed to short cage XT or SLX mech?

Stiffer spring, better chain retention. 

No idea. 

Stiffer spring, better chain retention. 

No idea. 

The ZEE needs the RADr cage. You need to buy it from Bibi and Install it yourself. It usually just allows slightly more clearance between the cage and the 42 on the cassette when adjusting the B-screw.

The ZEE needs the RADr cage. You need to buy it from Bibi and Install it yourself. It usually just allows slightly more clearance between the cage and the 42 on the cassette when adjusting the B-screw.

Oh, yes. It needs the RAD cage for clearance. Short cage won't work with a wide ratio 1x setup cos the spread is too wide... 

Oh, yes. It needs the RAD cage for clearance. Short cage won't work with a wide ratio 1x setup cos the spread is too wide... 

Thanks, guys. Thought as much. There are guys running the Zee with a 40T at the back without a RAD cage, but the mech looks like it's stretched to within an inch of its life.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11802544/p4pb11802544.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/25/eqa2asyh.jpg

I'm toying with ideas for a drivetrain upgrade for my Commencal Meta HT and am considering this route. As it's a hardtail, chain growth is a non-issue, so was wondering whether I could get away without having to buy the RAD cage.

Thanks, guys. Thought as much. There are guys running the Zee with a 40T at the back without a RAD cage, but the mech looks like it's stretched to within an inch of its life.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11802544/p4pb11802544.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/25/eqa2asyh.jpg

I'm toying with ideas for a drivetrain upgrade for my Commencal Meta HT and am considering this route. As it's a hardtail, chain growth is a non-issue, so was wondering whether I could get away without having to buy the RAD cage.

The "stretched" look is because of chain length. 

I struggled a LOT with this when I first went 1x10...At first (I feel) have your chain a little long as you can always remove a link.

Remember the suspension also changes the effective length of the chain.

Easiest was to deflate shock completely, take chain around largest in the back and then front ring and add 3 or 4 links...You can remove one later if not perfect.

Anyway thats what I found after a few broken chains ;( Since I thought about it more and did the above, no issues so far :)

Hey dude , I'm very happy with the RADr cage model and is a lot more cage than on any rear mech cage out there with some neat changes to the norm ;)

See below

The site puts it well :

SHIMANO RD'S JUST GOT RADR!  OPTIMIZE ANY SHADOW+ RD FOR PERFECT 11-42 PERFORMANCE.
The 2nd generation Rad cage.  Specifically designed for Saint and Zee but works with all Shimano Shadow+ (clutch) rear derailleurs. RADr is the lowest profile 42T compatible cage.  Dramatically improves shifting performance on any extended range Shimano 1X10 drivetrain. Includes replacement front and rear cages.

RADr Design

The key feature of the OneUp RADr (Radial Appositioned Derailleur) cage is that we’ve moved the upper pulley wheel rearward of the cage pivot to optimize the derailleur for larger sprockets. Now as the derailleur moves into larger sprockets the top pulley wheel automatically moves away to adjust the chain gap, no longer relying on just B-Screw.

RADr Benefits

• Cage length is between GS and SS cages to offer the shortest 42T compatible cage possible
  • Dramatically improves shifting performance for Shimano Shadow+ clutch rear derailleurs
  • Chain Wrap (cassette wear) and Free Chain Length (shift performance) corrected to stock Shimano spec - See chart
  • Tuning your derailleur to achieve perfect shifting with an 11-42 is now much easier
  • Requires Stock B-Screw adjustment (No more removing washers or reversing B-Screws)
  • Improves chain wrap and extends cassette life
  • Provides the lowest possible profile to prevent unwanted cage strikes
  • Installs in under 15 minutes – checkout the install video for full details 

SPEC

Material: 7075-T6 Aluminum

Weight: 34g

Colour: Black, Green

Compatibility: Shimano Shadow+ 10spd clutch rear derailleurs

• Deore (RD-M615)
  • SLX (RD-M675)
  • XT (RD-M786)
  • XTR (RD-M985, RD-M986)
  • Saint (RD-M820)
  • Zee (RD-M640)

• 2 weeks later...

Just added a OneTwenty to my collection.... I believe my new kitchen browny points will cover this purchase, and besides its for my daughter.

Went with a Formula 33 Fork, never heard of this brand before today - CWC are ditching them for R3000.

Tom

Daughters soon to be new Pyga. Formula 33 fork looks to be pretty decent so far.. SLX build with a single ring upfront and arch ex wheelset on hope hubs. Spaz command post dropper. Will last her a long time and she'll be able to upgrade when ready.

post-44068-0-67075600-1448991945_thumb.jpg