26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

I have yet to buy something that has made me faster :( - maybe one day when I'm big and lay out enough za ronds? The one thing that has had a real effect on how fast I can go has saved me money :)

Not even something red?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29er are a bit more comfortable ( not faster , just more comfortable ) in saying that , i now have 2x 29er and i have a single track route i commute on and no matter how hard i try i cant beat my record set on my 26, it frustrating the crap out of me .

But i do like them both very much , its preferance , and its personal . how you ride also makes the diff .im so much quicker through tech single track if im on my 26"than being on my 29er its a bit slower trying to get the big wheels going again after each corner.

at the end of the day , who cares what we all think you need to ride what you like .

Still battling away on my Santa Cruz 26" :blush:

Brunt of the jokes at our rides.Never liked the early ones.Drove like a bus

Then I rode my mates new carbon Spark 29er last weekend

Gee it is nimble and accurate.

Beautiful bike

I bought a 26" dual sus last year to replace my 26" ht that got nicked. I thought long and hard about going the 29er route, but i chose to stay with a 26". The whole 29er thing really took off just after with all the old stock being cleared out to make way for 2012 stock and the whole 29er thing seemed to gain a lot more ... momentum.

Out on the trails I have found its the fitter, more skilled rider that will lead. I have left 29s behind eating my dust and on other occassions i have eaten theirs.

Some 29ers look the part and others not. As to my next bike, i will choose very carefully, but, i suspect, in a few years time it will be a much more improved 29er dual that will get my vote.

I'm still on a full suss Merida 96 26er. No doubt on some routes, 29er is faster. Mates of mine who were previously on 26er's but are now on 29ers gained about 5mins on me on flat routes, whereas I still get them on the more technical stuff. I would love a 29er, but my reasoning is that at my current level of riding skill and fitness, R15-20K for an extra 5mins is harsh; besides there is no way I am riding my 26er anywhere near it's limits, which i'm certain if I was capable of, would probably make up the lost 5mins, and probably another 10mins on that...

Still battling away on my Santa Cruz 26" :blush:

Brunt of the jokes at our rides.Never liked the early ones.Drove like a bus

Then I rode my mates new carbon Spark 29er last weekend

Gee it is nimble and accurate.

Beautiful bike

Yeah it took bike manufacturers their sweet time to get the 29'er thing right, tested one a couple years ago and hated it. Then thought id get a "marathon" 29'er for those jeep track orientated races, but ill keep my 26 anthem for the fun stuff.

Did a lot of research and test rides and eventually decided on the Rocky Mountain Element 29, its the best allround bike ive ridden, not superlight for the price but man is it fast, its nimble, and it loves ST and tight corners. After my Anthem gathered a 2cm layer of dust I thought it best to sell her. Since ive had my rocky i just havent had the urge to get onto 26" wheels again.

But i find that in the 29'er world you get what you pay for, your niche manufacturers are getting the formula's right, the major manufacturers are putting very decent 29'ers out with good specs, but they are in no way "spectacular" if you know what i mean.

If you really want a good 29'er look at rocky, niner, (and just for the V) Yeti, ellsworth, Santa Cruz, pyga. these are bikes that are not 100% race orientated and not 100% trail orientated but a nice mix of the two.

If you want a lighter true race orientated bike thats ok'ish on the technical stuff but super fast on the flat stuff then yes your usual suspects apply, Spez, Giant, Scott,

Next bike however will be a Rocky mountain Element 950 carbon (trail orientated bike) for me. Already the GF is cringing cuase there goes the money for the oversea's holiday i was planning.

I'll say this quietly cos I've had to eat too much humble pie in the last few months....came from 26 dual to 29 dual. Riding a 29er dual is like cheating. That's my opinion.

Yeah it took bike manufacturers their sweet time to get the 29'er thing right, tested one a couple years ago and hated it. Then thought id get a "marathon" 29'er for those jeep track orientated races, but ill keep my 26 anthem for the fun stuff.

Did a lot of research and test rides and eventually decided on the Rocky Mountain Element 29, its the best allround bike ive ridden, not superlight for the price but man is it fast, its nimble, and it loves ST and tight corners. After my Anthem gathered a 2cm layer of dust I thought it best to sell her. Since ive had my rocky i just havent had the urge to get onto 26" wheels again.

But i find that in the 29'er world you get what you pay for, your niche manufacturers are getting the formula's right, the major manufacturers are putting very decent 29'ers out with good specs, but they are in no way "spectacular" if you know what i mean.

If you really want a good 29'er look at rocky, niner, (and just for the V) Yeti, ellsworth, Santa Cruz, pyga. these are bikes that are not 100% race orientated and not 100% trail orientated but a nice mix of the two.

If you want a lighter true race orientated bike thats ok'ish on the technical stuff but super fast on the flat stuff then yes your usual suspects apply, Spez, Giant, Scott,

Next bike however will be a Rocky mountain Element 950 carbon (trail orientated bike) for me. Already the GF is cringing cuase there goes the money for the oversea's holiday i was planning.

I am sold on a PYGA and already corresponded with him

Fox 120 travel suspension,XX group and Mavic Crossmax wheels will round it of nicely

Would like to hear from a few riders before tho otherwise it will prob end up being the Santa Cruz Super Light 29er.

I dont want a carbon bike

Also consider going 2 x 10 on the 29'er....Compact is also the way to go!!!

Just be prepared to crap on the uphills for the first couple of months, hell when i converted i found myself repeating, wish i have a granny wish i have a granny.

I am sold on a PYGA and already corresponded with him

Fox 120 travel suspension,XX group and Mavic Crossmax wheels will round it of nicely

Would like to hear from a few riders before tho otherwise it will prob end up being the Santa Cruz Super Light 29er.

I dont want a carbon bike

I also never wanted a carbon bike, but hell if RM can form carbon like they do their Alu bikes then its a no brainer for me. That said i aint never selling my element 29 its like a cult classic in my mind.

Did sani2c on 26er hard tail.. Nailed the single tracks..29ers seems to struggle with handling and climbs..On rolling hills,flats and easy down hills they are a lot faster.. Handling on 26er is better in my opinion. Ask everyone that did nissan trailseeker tyger valley with 29ers...I would love to go 29er dual sus if handling was as goos as 26er....

Giant XTC 29er and loving it, especially on technical descents. Don't have that feeling that I'm going to go over the bars. Feels faster except on singletrack. I can't seem to change direction quickly without shifting my weight. Overall very happy with it and definitely more comfortable.