RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

soooorrrry ill stay off your valuable thread then keep those photos coming

yikes, sensitive and sanctimonious. ironic given your chirp in the other thread.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yikes, sensitive and sanctimonious. ironic given your chirp in the other thread.

actually it was a sincere reply to hairy I do think his thread is valuable and my comment wasn't intended to detract from it (the soooorrrry was intended to demonstrate a lack of malice and give him a smile )

unlike you I don't indulge in sarcasm as its the lowest form of wit :thumbup:

actually it was a sincere reply to hairy I do think his thread is valuable and my comment wasn't intended to detract from it (the soooorrrry was intended to demonstrate a lack of malice and give him a smile )

unlike you I don't indulge in sarcasm as its the lowest form of wit [emoji106]

The full saying ends with 'practiced by those of the highest intelligence'.

So a backhanded compliment there then.

Reading about this somewhere else, some foreign bloke asked why on earth we didn't put the cycle lane between the parking bays and the pavement?

I can't see the flaw in this, seems entirely logical. The parked cars will protect you from the moving cars. And parking/stopping violations are much less likely as the transgressors will be inconveniencing other vehicles which is likely to lead to corrective behaivour by those inconvenienced. And you could line the lane with curbstones/poles to prevent people from parking too deeply and intruding into the bike lane.

Sure, only works where there are parking bays on the side of the road, but besides that, are there any holes in this theory?

Or has the city of cape town missed a giant, simple trick?

Reading about this somewhere else, some foreign bloke asked why on earth we didn't put the cycle lane between the parking bays and the pavement?

I can't see the flaw in this, seems entirely logical. The parked cars will protect you from the moving cars. And parking/stopping violations are much less likely as the transgressors will be inconveniencing other vehicles which is likely to lead to corrective behaivour by those inconvenienced. And you could line the lane with curbstones/poles to prevent people from parking too deeply and intruding into the bike lane.

Sure, only works where there are parking bays on the side of the road, but besides that, are there any holes in this theory?

Good point. if they can put poles or something up to keep the cars out. 

There were long discussions about this; there really was a lot of community engagement with Woodstock business owners, home owners, cyclists, and others. We did ask for curbs and separation but, like everything, it was largely about money. Business owners were also concerned about driveway access and other issues.

Of course, the curb thing has its own problems. Witness Adderley Street.

I think most drivers don't know what the green lanes mean (let's not get into whether they care though). There's little signage or road marking and it never was in the K53. So let's see whether the crackdown gets the message across.  

I really hope this is enforced!!!!! Getting tough on cycle lane abusers July 8 2015 at 08:19am 

By Anel Lewis Comment on this story

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/iol-mot-cycling-lanes-1.1881974!/image/571857816.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/571857816.jpgA recent inspection by the Cape Argus revealed that most of the dedicated green cycle lanes were clogged up with parked cars or being used by motorists. Picture: Cindy Waxa/Independent Media.

Cape Town - Cars parked illegally in the City of Cape Town’s dedicated green cycle lanes will be towed away “as a matter of urgency”, as part of the city’s zero tolerance enforcement of its cycle routes.

The city has spent R300 million on non-motorised transport projects, including the cycle lanes which have been painted green with skid-resistant paint, but an inspection by the Cape Argus revealed that most of the dedicated green cycle lanes were clogged up with parked cars or being used by motorists.

Following the Cape Argus’s findings that the city’s cycle lanes were a “failure” as well as numerous complaints from the cycling fraternity, including the Pedal Power Association, the city announced that it will introduce stringent enforcement measures over the next few weeks.

ACTION PLAN

Brett Herron, mayoral committee member for Transport for Cape Town, said the measures would ensure that motorists refrained from using the lanes in the city centre and Albert Road, Woodstock, and Salt River at all times.

This would mean the installation of bollards along the green cycle lane in Albert Road in Salt River to prevent other road users from entering the lane. There would also be road studs along this part of the road.

Drivers who double-parked or obstructed any of the dedicated lanes would be towed away in terms of the National Road Traffic Act. The owner of the car would have to pay a release fee for the impounded vehicle, as well as a fine.

Early yesterday, newly elected ANC provincial secretary, Faiez Jacobs, called on the city to apply strict measures to ensure the

Cape Argus