RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

As much as I hate the concept, I think moving towards a "sticker on offending cars" movement might have to happen

Yes! :thumbup:

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is what it looked like a few minutes ago when I rode through Woodstock and Salt River. I estimate 100 cars parked in the green lane between the Old Castle Brewery and the River Club. :cursing: Just look at the gap between the car and the truck! Deadly! :eek:   

It is NEVER going to work unless something drastic is done. Paid street parking, fines, parking marshals, towing, just do it City of Cape Town! You have to follow through! Perhaps Patricia De Lille can borrow a tank from the Army and go crush a line of illegally parked cars while the TV cameras roll, like the mayor of Tiblisi did in Georgia. :thumbup:

Otherwise sandblast the green lanes off the road and learn something from a failed experiment! Perhaps our fellow South Africans are just too bloody wayward when it comes to obeying the law. :( Totally physically separated cycle lanes seem to me the only solution.   

Unless its enforced, it means nothing

post-615-0-82979800-1434364989_thumb.jpg

I have to question City Of Cape Town's motives for this. Right from the beginning when meetings were held by the city with interested parties (I was there), the planners were told by the cycling/NMT advocates this would not work and they would be wasting tax payers money, irritating both cyclist and motorists. Yet the City ignored this advise and went ahead. Why? Was it so they can appear to be doing something about cycling in the city? Before this was started it was highlighted to the city that they should look at the Bree St cycle lanes, as this is an example of why it does not work. What a waste of money!!! We now have irritated Cyclists, Motorists & tenants of Albert Rd, what exactly were you thinking City of Cape Town.

Yes! :thumbup:

And irritate more motorists? As it is the relationship between motorists and Cyclists is shaky. Its a complete change of mind set that is needed

And irritate more motorists? As it is the relationship between motorists and Cyclists is shaky. Its a complete change of mind set that is needed

Sadly, yes!

As it is, each and every motorist that parked there this morning, contributed to endangering my LIFE when I had to cycle through there. A little irritation is in order, I think, in the hope that it will raise awareness and get the City to start enforcing their own laws.

Personally, I would love to get a hundred burly big cyclists together on a Saturday morning, and go clear Albert Road past the Biscuit Mill by picking up each  car illegally parked in the cycle lane and putting it down in the middle of the road. Yes, it will cause chaos, yes, there will be a few black eyes and broken noses, yes, some will be arrested, but it is sure to get on the news. If you are smart, even get it to go viral.......say hooplah! :cursing:

(OK, I'm realistic enough to know that won't happen, but we can dream, not so?)

Edited by DJR

did the city realize how many parking bays they were going to take away?

I'm all for the lanes, but they should have through out the parking issue.

roads should be wider and parked cars should be the buffer between the cycle lanes and moving traffic. Tricky to do after the road has been built though.

Het jou katvis!

Well done Cippo! Bet you he wasn't writing pink tickets. :cursing:

A possible route to getting message across is having a seasion on the drive shows with popular radio stations. The downside of that is having it turn into a witchhunt sessions for our not so popular cyclists that ride abreast holding up traffic and jumping traffic lights.

Steal their wheel valves. At least 2. They will suffer.

doesn't damage the vehicle but is a pain in the bum.

Stickers is good idea. Gonna get a quote from a buddy quick.

Steal their wheel valves. At least 2. They will suffer.

doesn't damage the vehicle but is a pain in the bum.

Stickers is good idea. Gonna get a quote from a buddy quick.

just make sure they are the type that will not tear up when trying to remove and will also not damage the car in anyway.......rather play it safe

..... problem with stickers is that retribution will be against the cyclist, not the authorities.....

I commute the same road everyday, ... through Woodstock, ....

There is no way I'm "plakking" a sticker on someone's car, just to have that driver open a door on me tomorrow..... or trying to drive me off the road for sticking offending stickers on his car ....

I have it on good authority that the lanes aren't complete yet and they will be erecting some form of barrier between cycling lane and the road which will be great. Also have reservations about the lack of parking that is now available but apparently the albert road tenants where happy with the cycle lane concept.

I have it on good authority that the lanes aren't complete yet and they will be erecting some form of barrier between cycling lane and the road which will be great. Also have reservations about the lack of parking that is now available but apparently the albert road tenants where happy with the cycle lane concept.

Agreed! That will be great!

ladies and gents, shameless punt here....... but if you have any good or bad pics and ideas RE the cycle lanes please copy in @CTCycleLanes via Twitter.