RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

I have it on good authority that the lanes aren't complete yet and they will be erecting some form of barrier between cycling lane and the road which will be great. Also have reservations about the lack of parking that is now available but apparently the albert road tenants where happy with the cycle lane concept.

well if that's the case then they should make this public knowledge that it's currently temporary. The no parking signs are up already, surely that's the last thing to go up?

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it on good authority that the lanes aren't complete yet and they will be erecting some form of barrier between cycling lane and the road which will be great. Also have reservations about the lack of parking that is now available but apparently the albert road tenants where happy with the cycle lane concept.

They don't need to erect anything just cut a 20cm wide trench next to the lane, that will stop the taxis slipping into the lane. The city will have to tie offenders as well be there only way out:p

Who would be keen to buy some of these.

This is straight from the producer...

12X stickers for R119 including postage. Produced in Cape Town. You can send orders through me or I can forward contact details on to you. If we are able to secure a large order, we would be able to work out a better deal.

Sizes 60mm round or 85 x 45 mm

Printed on ultra destructible vinyl

post-27195-0-28071100-1434548300_thumb.jpgpost-27195-0-28752800-1434548312_thumb.jpg

Let me know at pteague@gmail.com or whatsapp/sms to 0729472209

Great post Hairy. That shows EXACTLY what we are talking about. It is one truly one of those "picture tells a thousand words" situations. :clap:

Ps. That  music :D  :D  :D

Edited by DJR

I watched an interesting program on TV this weekend called "Crowd Control".

In it a behaviour expert takes on what he sees as bad behaviour and uses quite subtle techniques to change people's attitudes and behaviour.

For example, people kept parking in disabled parking spots so replaced the standard caricature of a wheelchair with a board with a large colour photo on it of an actual disabled person with a message saying "Please think of me. Keep it free". Footage of the sport with the new sign showed people driving in to the parking bay and then reversing out. It appears making the sign personal made people think how they were adversely affecting an individual. 

Very interesting and I wonder if COCT could be progressive enough to try something similar?

I watched an interesting program on TV this weekend called "Crowd Control".

In it a behaviour expert takes on what he sees as bad behaviour and uses quite subtle techniques to change people's attitudes and behaviour.

For example, people kept parking in disabled parking spots so replaced the standard caricature of a wheelchair with a board with a large colour photo on it of an actual disabled person with a message saying "Please think of me. Keep it free". Footage of the sport with the new sign showed people driving in to the parking bay and then reversing out. It appears making the sign personal made people think how they were adversely affecting an individual.

Very interesting and I wonder if COCT could be progressive enough to try something similar?

My first thought is if they put up a picture of an actual cyclist the next step would involve a mob, pitchforks and fire. Lots of fire.

We aren't popular.

Just out of interest - what route would you recommend to Get from town to Southern suburbs?

Wanting to get TO town via constantia nek and suikerbossie... question is whether to return the same way or do a loop...

Most likely midday...

Rhodent, I would go via Liesbeek Parkway and Albert Road. But you seem like you want to mountain bike...

Here are some random thoughts on the bicycle lanes and people parking in them and cycle commuting in general:

Up until a few months ago I cycled the Albert Road route from Mouille Point to Pinelands every day. I am so pleased to see that the lanes have been implemented. Having moved to Johannesburg, bath cities seems to be taking building cycle lanes very seriously, and they are mostly separated by those large yellow barriers. The Auckland Park and Braamfontein lanes are probably the best I've seen anywhere in the world. But people parking in them is a huge problem that needs a concerted effort to change.

Firstly, they won't park there if people use the lanes, which is necessarily difficult when only a smallish group of fairly affluent people cycle in them.

Secondly, my plan is to print off a bunch of 1/4 page stickers that say something to the effect of this: http://www.juca.org.za/wp-content/uploads/Cycle-Lanes-for-Bicycles.jpg

The real key to my plan is to get some wallpaper glue and have a stock of it in my bag for my ride home when I will place them on every car's windscreen and the fine Jo'burg sun will do the rest. I hope to do this for a while to give fair warning.

If this fails then I will invest in a large piece of wire which will significantly alter the paintwork of these cars.

Thirdly, a while ago I had a problem with the bicycle lanes that went on Forrest Drive, over the highway that were losing their paint due to high traffic volumes. I contacted the relevant city councillor and they were fixed within three months. I honestly think that contacting the councillors for Observatory, Salt River, Woodstock etc might be more effective than moaning on the hub about people parking in lanes.

Finally, ask yourselves how many people you have persuaded to try cycling to work? I have converted about five people who now cycle to work and back regularly, and it took years. I had to ride with them. Then I had to lend them bicycles and then I had to give them advice on buying their own. Many people wouldn't be persuaded at all not matter how much I nagged. It is difficult work, but really rewarding so I would suggest people try to do it at their workplaces.

Rhodent, I would go via Liesbeek Parkway and Albert Road. But you seem like you want to mountain bike...

Here are some random thoughts on the bicycle lanes and people parking in them and cycle commuting in general:

Up until a few months ago I cycled the Albert Road route from Mouille Point to Pinelands every day. I am so pleased to see that the lanes have been implemented. Having moved to Johannesburg, bath cities seems to be taking building cycle lanes very seriously, and they are mostly separated by those large yellow barriers. The Auckland Park and Braamfontein lanes are probably the best I've seen anywhere in the world. But people parking in them is a huge problem that needs a concerted effort to change.

Firstly, they won't park there if people use the lanes, which is necessarily difficult when only a smallish group of fairly affluent people cycle in them.

Secondly, my plan is to print off a bunch of 1/4 page stickers that say something to the effect of this: http://www.juca.org.za/wp-content/uploads/Cycle-Lanes-for-Bicycles.jpg

The real key to my plan is to get some wallpaper glue and have a stock of it in my bag for my ride home when I will place them on every car's windscreen and the fine Jo'burg sun will do the rest. I hope to do this for a while to give fair warning.

If this fails then I will invest in a large piece of wire which will significantly alter the paintwork of these cars.

Thirdly, a while ago I had a problem with the bicycle lanes that went on Forrest Drive, over the highway that were losing their paint due to high traffic volumes. I contacted the relevant city councillor and they were fixed within three months. I honestly think that contacting the councillors for Observatory, Salt River, Woodstock etc might be more effective than moaning on the hub about people parking in lanes.

Finally, ask yourselves how many people you have persuaded to try cycling to work? I have converted about five people who now cycle to work and back regularly, and it took years. I had to ride with them. Then I had to lend them bicycles and then I had to give them advice on buying their own. Many people wouldn't be persuaded at all not matter how much I nagged. It is difficult work, but really rewarding so I would suggest people try to do it at their workplaces.

seriously you are planning to scratch peoples cars

seriously ........

and stick things on peoples cars with glue

seriously .........

when one of them catches you or sees you what you going to do then ?

pull a gun ?

best you start driving a taxi cause you don't sound like a cyclist :(  

Please see the post after yours.

To add to it, this thread as a rant platform has brought many issues to light. Both positive and negative.

Posts from this thread have also been used to notify businesses that they are parking illegally, with one business complying and the other just carrying on being a chop.

Further to this, posts or information from this thread have been copied and used with the @CTCycleLanes Twitter account with various parties copied in who can influence it rather take action on our be half

#JUSTSAYING