RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

I once steamrolled a smoker that walked into the bike lane without looking. After he scraped his sorry self of the tar he approached me like he wanted to fight. Then he saw how how big was and that I was wearing gloves and a helmet  :devil:

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do they do in Holland when a motor vehicle or pedestrian is in the cycle lane? 

your car gets towed away and If you try to remonstrate with the police officer she will moer you and thro you in the back of her squad car and haul your ass to the police station for an overnight cooling off.

Then you pay Euro 250 to get your car back...

You don't mess with a cyclist or pedestrian in Holland.

These situations make my blood boil so now that i have given some thought, here are my questions and suggestion.

The usual: where are our cycling representatives ie PPA, CSA and who ever in City Management? Once again they are failing at doing nothing. Lately its seems all the major cycling bodies make money for doing very little.

Suggestion: These things take time so start by organising an awareness drive. If possible find one of the cycling bodies to assist (make sure you a paid up member first as that will be the responding query). Park bikes or stand in the cycling lanes at these spots and hand out pamphlets. Make transgressors aware of their mistakes and possible penalties. We need to make alliances with cars and trucks, not enemies. Hand out think bike stickers, free rehydrates, water bottles or any cycling related race pack nonsense that will make them feel part of the awesome clan.

Edited by Nobody

These situations make my blood boil so now that i have given some thought, here are my questions and suggestion.

The usual: where are our cycling representatives ie PPA, CSA and who ever in City Management? Once again they are failing at doing nothing. Lately its seems all the major cycling bodies make money for doing very little.

Suggestion: These things take time so start by organising an awareness drive. If possible find one of the cycling bodies to assist (make sure you a paid up member first as that will be the responding query). Park bikes or stand in the cycling lanes at these spots and hand out pamphlets. Make transgressors aware of their mistakes and possible penalties. We need to make alliances with cars and trucks, not enemies. Hand out think bike stickers, free rehydrates, water bottles or any cycling related race pack nonsense that will make them feel part of the awesome clan.

Great idea, I nominate you to be elected onto PPA committee and personally run with this idea yourself.

Go to the PPA offices, the staff are not sitting there twirling their thumbs. If you want change, be the change.

Let's not forget about the stretch in Adderley street running past the Golden Acre and flower market.

Can I ask a valid question in order to establish your credibility in criticising "the major cycling bodies make money for doing very little"?

What exactly do you do for your fellow cyclists? A detailed list would be appreciated.

They should get the same fine we get for cycling over stop streets and traffic lights.

They should get the same fine we get for cycling over stop streets and traffic lights.

You should write this in the ironic / sarcasm font for it to have the full effect it deserves. ;)

• 3 months later...

As great and adventurous as your advice sounds, it would unfortunately be counter productive.

Eventually I did raise my voice to the smokers letting them know in no uncertain terms to get out the way.

Buy an air horn ... ride right up to the smokers (preferably from behind) and blow the horn.  So how many of them can choke on their cigarettes :w00t:

I've got one of those shiny bells on my handlebars. My thumb works overtime in the afternoons through Albert Road in Woodstock. At about 10m to go, if no response, I start talking to the guys ahead (in the cycle lane) ... loudly, but politely  :D  ... 

I am also losing some rubber on my rear wheel with the J-walkers between the cars ... twice this week had to make emergency stops as people appear in my path as they move between the queued (slow-moving) vehicles ...

it is amazing as to all the potential 'fails' we have to look out for as commuting cyclists. Cars parked taking off, opening car doors, pedestrians, debris, potholes, construction equipment, taxi's, left turns, cars parking, and looking for parking, buses stopping veering left, hardware protruding from vehicles, ... double parked cars sending us off into oncoming traffic ... guys skipping red lights as we move across pedestrian crossings at bike paths .... 

I have lately had some buses hoot at me from far behind on Albert road, and even Liesbeeck, as warning that they are coming ........ which I actually welcome ... especially in the mornings when they come past at 100km/h ... gives you time to brace yourself. :o