RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

The green lanes ar in close proximity to the fan walk. Higher up the road out oys shocking how people park in the lanes and Mekor Honda are at it again by parking cars full on the pavement and in the cycle lane.

The paint looks to be the non slip type ...hope I am right in that assumption.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is going to be a bitch in the rain....can already see how peple fall due to wheels slipping

I looked at the paint and it looks like the same they use for MyCiti. This is also why they are just testing that spot first. Very visible and not slippery - I drove there this morning and my little cars tyres did not skid or squeal even while turning sharply on the paint.

What awesome is I will be getting access to the report for Somerset West on possible new cycle lanes. That is very exciting for me.

try 4 spots

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/557498_10151401288316340_8820132_n.jpg

Hmmf! BMW driver, figures.whistling.gif

The green lanes ar in close proximity to the fan walk. Higher up the road out oys shocking how people park in the lanes and Mekor Honda are at it again by parking cars full on the pavement and in the cycle lane.

The paint looks to be the non slip type ...hope I am right in that assumption.

Perhaps the City would be so kind as to paint a nice and wide bright green non-slip line right across their illegally parked cars - so the trials riders can have a nice path to ride over?wink.png

So I am cruzing through town on the bike (For work not pleasure) and had to contend with motorbikes parked in the lanes, cars parked in the lane, people using this as a "smoking zone" and a whole lot of other paraphernalia getting in my way.

Along my meanders I came across a traffic officer wrighting out a fine for an illegally parked car. I asked him if he was intending fining those parked in the cycle lane and he said he could not as he did not have a "code" to fine them under and this "code" was still to be legislated.

WTF City of Cape Town WTF .....

EDIT: Font size ammended

CCID in Cape Town needs to see to this.

CCID in Cape Town needs to see to this.

It is exactly because they (improvement district) and the City of Cape Town have taken note that they've started doing something about it. Give credit where it's due. See above.

• 2 years later...

It is exactly because they (improvement district) and the City of Cape Town have taken note that they've started doing something about it. Give credit where it's due. See above.

?

?

In 2013 I thought the City did well by painting the green lanes and that it was a good try. Obviously without policing or extending it further is is not working 2 years down the line. The CCID should take it up with the City of Cape Town who should take it up with law enforcement..... I know, it is just going round in circles. I'm with you on getting despondent on this one and I also feel like kicking something.

Come to think of it, reading the 2013 article again makes me wonder what was done with the R120 million budgeted for that financial year. I truly hope that the half finished 400 metres of cycle lane along the River Club is not all they achieved. OK, perhaps the path around Rondebosch Common also happened? Not that that helps the commuters to go round in a circle. I just don't see R120 million of new cycle lanes anywhere. Blouberg was already completed by 2013, so that is not part of that budget allocation.

Edited by DJR

Guest Smimby

I've picked up scooters in the bike lane, had fights with flower sellers - maybe I should get some really, really sticky stickers (like the Argus numbers that you can't get off) that say, "Stay the F out of the bike lane" especially for their windscreens?

Push the bike over, or scratch the cars on your way past... lets see if it parks there again afterwards.

Tell the smokers to go die elsewhere

Don't let Sageko see this, he will tell you to "mind your own bussiness"

Guest Smimby

Hairy

Look at "stop a douchbag" on youtube, maybe we should have something like that made only smaller that we can easily stick to a car of bike as you pass them.

Something that says "I have no respect for laws, or other humans!"

what did mekor honda say? still doing it?

nothing .... but they seem to have cleaned up their act a little .... someday's