RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

I've picked up scooters in the bike lane, had fights with flower sellers - maybe I should get some really, really sticky stickers (like the Argus numbers that you can't get off) that say, "Stay the F out of the bike lane" especially for their windscreens?

Excellent idea , one needs to experience pain before one changes ones habits.

A super sticky sticker on a car will work nicely to create suffering

The wording will also help direct the irresponsible driver towards addressing his shortcomings :P

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave a note (from your wife) on the offending car that the owner must please keep a lookout for the lawyers letter that will arrive in the mail soon about the damages that you (the breadwinner) suffered when you crashed into his illegally parked car. Note that your expensive bike was damaged beyond repair and that your medical bills are likely to be substantial, including rehab as well as loss of income when you could not work. Use a fictitious name and never bother any further. That will cause the fcuker a few sleepless nights, which is more than he will hurt from a fine by the traffic department.

Edited by DJR

Told ya so

D.A. or A.N.C..................all the same.

only a "box" believes that!

Look what a glorious masterful f...up your ANC has made of the rest of this country, service delivery strikes, marches.... bla bla bla

Maybe you should spend more time chewing your fleas in a corner elsewhere

only a "box" believes that!

Look what a glorious masterful f...up your ANC has made of the rest of this country, service delivery strikes, marches.... bla bla bla

Maybe you should spend more time chewing your fleas in a corner elsewhere

Ummmm..........Sean dont get upset so quickly.

I don't, and have never supported the A.N.C. (please refrain from drawing conclusions from no data). :D

Perhaps I need to explain.......... :P

The D.A. also have "boxes" (as you so euphemistically put it), in its ranks, and proposing laws that cannot, or will not be properly enforced, is exactly one of the specialities of the A.N.C..

Pull yourself together man, you are losing it. :thumbup:

edit spelling.

Edited by Scooter69

So in the hope that the City is following this thread after sending them the link, attached a couple of pics taken of offenders on the Bree Street cycle lanes.

The real gem is the Honda Dealership who park their cars in the lane outside the entrance to the showroom.

Pics taken around 8:30am yesterday.

High res pics available on request.

post-5403-0-18171500-1347357155.jpg

post-5403-0-94166300-1347357157.jpg

post-5403-0-52800200-1347357160.jpg

post-5403-0-82438300-1347357162.jpg

post-5403-0-08266500-1347357165.jpg

post-5403-0-13629000-1347357167.jpg

post-5403-0-63127700-1347357169.jpg

post-5403-0-28613900-1347357173.jpg

In most places, it seems that the cycle lane is just really an extra parking lane...

I remember seeing a video that a New York commuter had made of him getting a fine from the police for not riding in the cycle lane. He retaliated by cycling around New York filming everything obstructing the cycle lanes and finished it off with crashing through the back window of a police cruiser parked in the bike lane.

In most places, it seems that the cycle lane is just really an extra parking lane...

I remember seeing a video that a New York commuter had made of him getting a fine from the police for not riding in the cycle lane. He retaliated by cycling around New York filming everything obstructing the cycle lanes and finished it off with crashing through the back window of a police cruiser parked in the bike lane.

yup saw that vid too. Should be simple either just scratch the cars as you go past, or ride around with a million "think bike" stickers and plaster like 20 on each car you see.

What is needed is for the OR Tambo metro cops to get a "holiday" in the Cape for cycle lane duty. They will tow those parked cars :thumbup: but may stop cyclists with ....... did you got a licence?

nah bra, but heres my ID, keep the change my china. tjeers. :whistling:

On second thoughts, stickers would be (far cheaper) easier to carry if you bothered to stop each time.

What is needed is for the OR Tambo metro cops to get a "holiday" in the Cape for cycle lane duty. They will tow those parked cars :thumbup: but may stop cyclists with ....... did you got a licence?

nah bra, but heres my ID, keep the change my china. tjeers. :whistling:

On second thoughts, stickers would be (far cheaper) easier to carry if you bothered to stop each time.

Dude i would p!ss myself seeing a brand new beemer covered in little yellow stickers, and I will pay to watch the video footage of when the owner gets to his car.

Edited by covie

Just noticed now looking at the pics.

How is that Mekor Honda dealership parking on the pavement, where do they expect pedestrians to walk ... in the street!

Looking at the regulations

305. Parking of vehicles

(1) No person shall park a vehicle on a public road—

(B) in any place referred to in regulation 304 (i.e. any No Stopping area);

( f ) in such manner as to obstruct any private or public vehicular entrance to such road.

(4) No person shall park a vehicle on the roadway of a public road within an urban area—

(e) which is less than five and a half metres wide unless the public road concerned is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction and such parking is permitted by appropriate road traffic signs.

All the city has to do to be able to enforce fining these idiots is simply put up a couple of signs that says vehicles may not park in the cycle lanes. Then it will classify under regulation 304.

Just sent off ...

Good afternoon Debbie,

It's come to the notice of many cyclists that Mekor Honda has appropriated the cycle lanes in Bree Street - not to mention the pavements - as a parking area.

In fact, this situation is made all the more dangerous for us: cyclists now have to swing even further into the traffic.

Of course, Mekor Honda is not the only offender. However, we may need to submit photographs to the City Council if the situation isn't corrected sometime very soon.

Kind regards, in anticipation of your understanding

XXXXXXXXXX (not kisses, my signature. Not Le Turbo.)