RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

Now, how many emails can we send to Mekor Honda telling them to stay the F out of the lanes? Their website says: debbieh@hondadealer.co.za

Hairy, maybe you should send your pics to Robin Carlisle? Carlyle?

Email sent to Mr Robin Carlisle via the service email on the City of Cape Town site as his direct email was not on there.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also sent an email to Mekor now asking why they feel they have the right to park in the manner that they do.

The email included the link to this thread.

Just sent off ...

Good afternoon Debbie,

It's come to the notice of many cyclists that Mekor Honda has appropriated the cycle lanes in Bree Street - not to mention the pavements - as a parking area.

In fact, this situation is made all the more dangerous for us: cyclists now have to swing even further into the traffic.

Of course, Mekor Honda is not the only offender. However, we may need to submit photographs to the City Council if the situation isn't corrected sometime very soon.

Kind regards, in anticipation of your understanding

XXXXXXXXXX (not kisses, my signature. Not Le Turbo.)

Just picked up your post now and also sent her an email in the interim

What's stopping us building a tank of a bike, maybe start with an Ice cream trike, and riding ful speed into one of these cars? Youtube it

Get some downhill gear to wear. Body armour and full face will make the rider impossible to identify. Brand new Honda with nasty dent could get you some attention. But not as much as the Tblisi (Georgia, ex USSR) mayor who drove a tank (well. actually a troop carrier) over a car illegally parked in a cycle lane. Someone, please find that link, I'm not smart enough with these virtual thingies.

• 1 month later...

Get some downhill gear to wear. Body armour and full face will make the rider impossible to identify. Brand new Honda with nasty dent could get you some attention. But not as much as the Tblisi (Georgia, ex USSR) mayor who drove a tank (well. actually a troop carrier) over a car illegally parked in a cycle lane. Someone, please find that link, I'm not smart enough with these virtual thingies.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/130698/lithuanian-mayor-crushes-luxury-car-parked-in-bike-lane-with-a-tank/

In the mornings i always have to ride around a small group of runners that run in the cycle lane along the road that goes past Westlake Golf course... they refuse to move even though theres a perfectly good pavement on the other side of the road...

I have also sent an email to Mekor now asking why they feel they have the right to park in the manner that they do.

The email included the link to this thread.

no follow up from Honda? Tannie Helen?

Fella's,......ladies it should be obvious that the City don't give a Phuq about cyclists.

They will fine you heavily for driving in the bus lane but they won't fine a motorist for parking in a cycle lane..

So ask yourself, did you send your vote in the appropriate direction?

The Major (intentional) and the Premier make a big noise about cycling when it supports their big chums in big business and then we all cry JAYYYYYYYY they noticed us and have promised the following." Next year the same thing, and the next. Cycle lanes in Plumstead, yea h i saw those and have you examined the lane carefully because theres a few places where the lane hits a solid vertical curb. With the patience Cape Town drivers don't have I can see more injured cyclists before somebody listens.

So yesterday afternoon on the cycle lane just before Table View, a guy and girl on a moped scooter nearly take me out. Pointing to the R27, I appealed to him to use the road, as he was on a dedicated cycle and pedestrian lane. At that moment, a guy comes cycling past on the R27. He just laughed at me and sped off. Go figure.

So yesterday afternoon on the cycle lane just before Table View, a guy and girl on a moped scooter nearly take me out. Pointing to the R27, I appealed to him to use the road, as he was on a dedicated cycle and pedestrian lane. At that moment, a guy comes cycling past on the R27. He just laughed at me and sped off. Go figure.

Very sad on both accounts there!

I have found that most of the riders I see on the R27 tend to be wearing the Cycles Direct Team kit. These are also of the very last of the cyclists to great one when out riding.

Pity as the owners and guys at the Cycles Direct Shop are great guys and I do feel that the guys wearing the Shop's kit are not representing them in a very good way.

H

Very sad on both accounts there!

I have found that most of the riders I see on the R27 tend to be wearing the Cycles Direct Team kit. These are also of the very last of the cyclists to great one when out riding.

Pity as the owners and guys at the Cycles Direct Shop are great guys and I do feel that the guys wearing the Shop's kit are not representing them in a very good way.

H

The guy was in predominantly white kit. So not Cycles Direct.

Does anybody know how the cycle lanes got started in CT? I would love some up here on the highveld and in places they are really needed, so anybody got the guide to getting cycle lanes?