Steel Framed Bikes: Options and Advice

Witkop

Steel Bikes?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be the prefered steel frame and why?

• On-one 456
    • On-one Inbred
    • Ragley Blue Big
    • Ragley Piglet
    • Cotic BFe
    • Cotice Soda
    • Raleigh
    • others

I know i should follow my own advice of just buying either of the two and get riding.

But I would realy like some opinion on the Momsen STR 29 vs the OnOne Inbred ss special edition.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Value for money the On One is an exceptional buy and I have owned both the 26'er and 29'er Inbreds .... they are both just great bikes.

I have always been keen on a 456 though and would love to give on a spin as the closest I have come is a ride through the city on a 456 summer season ....

I have the Inbred 29er, and I love it. Best value for money possible.

I also have a Cotic CX, and this bike will stay with me forever.

On One Inbred.... For all round and especially as a SS

Value for money for sure. Depends what riding you wanting to be doing?

I have several steel bikes. Cotic, Stevens, NINER, On-One, Haro... All have their good points. My NINER and my Stevens are the best. 531 steel, great ride quality and they look the best.

Steel bikes are a thing of absolute opinion and experience wins the day here. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure....

PM me if you like, I can talk you through a few points and I agree with Ryanpmb, decide what you want to do with it, SS, long travel all mountain, road commuter etc and then go from there.

I have several steel bikes. Cotic, Stevens, NINER, On-One, Haro... All have their good points. My NINER and my Stevens are the best. 531 steel, great ride quality and they look the best.

Steel bikes are a thing of absolute opinion and experience wins the day here. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure....

PM me if you like, I can talk you through a few points and I agree with Ryanpmb, decide what you want to do with it, SS, long travel all mountain, road commuter etc and then go from there.

A Niner with 531 tubing ?

A Niner with 531 tubing ?

853 niner... 531 Stevens. Sorry for not clarifying. Without being pedantic and going off topic I think the gist of the matter is not who is right and who is wrong on this topic, more that with steel frames and steel bikes, opinion and experience wins the day, not advice.

All the people touting their Inbreds absolutely love them I am sure, but if I had my choice of bike I wouldn't choose one. I am not right and they are certainly not wrong.

Gaaning aan about 531 vs 853 vs 4130 is a total waste of time. Again, I own and ride bikes made from all 3 types of tubing. A fully rigid SS in every type too.... They have all done plenty of adventures with me and they all absolutely rock.

Dude, buy what you can afford and buy something that doesn't need any type of additional chain line altering tensioner.

The track ends on the Inbred are easily sorted out with a good set of chain tugs. In fact, you can even get some chain tugs with a hangar on if you ever decide to ruin your magical steed and put gears on it.

Another thing to consider is a SS specific rear hub. They make a huge difference in the feel and performance of the bike.

They really really do.... More than you think

I had 2 peace 9r's made of im pretty sure any steel gt could get their hands on and they were both awesome! I now ride ti and miss the feel of steel sometimes.