Beware of CB 68 GK GP

argie1

Do you know how many non-cyclists hate cyclists? Just today I heard at least 15 people voice this.

start any debate about other road users and you will get the same response. Try speeding taxis, roadworks, right lane hoggers as a few examples. As a nation we bitch too much about stuff that we have no tolerance for. Sad.

all I'm seeing are cyclists obstructing the free flow of traffic (which is against the law

Exactly what law? There is absolutely no law to be found in the National Road Traffic Act 93 of 1996 that prohibits cyclists from riding legitimately in a traffic lane, no matter what the speed of that lane is. Other than on a motorway.

There is also no mention whatsoever of obstructing the free flow of traffic by a slower moving vehicle. And a bicycle is defined as a vehicle in the Act.

I, as a cyclist, have every right to use the whole lane when I'm riding by law (NRT act 93 of 1996). I also have the right to overtake other bicycles on their right side but I don't have the right to ride next to them chatting. But the fact that I try ride on the left of the lane is my consideration for other road users. Not because I have to.

I also have the right to ride in the lane I'm in without being hooted at aggressively or being intimidated by idiots who don't know what my rights are.

Perhaps you should retake your licence, you clearly have no understanding of the law you quote so freely to back up your bigoted view of cyclists and their law breaking activities.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4x4 community are in good company - bunny hugging, left leaning libertarian Cher recently let loose had a twat attack via twitter on some cyclists:

http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher1.jpg?w=200&h=300 http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher3.jpg?w=200&h=300

http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher2.jpg?w=200&h=300 http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher4.jpg?w=200&h=300

And here is a response from a blogger who rides on the same road she is ranting about:

(http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/i-think-she-hates-me/)

I often forget how many people hate me because I ride a bike.

They are, however, everywhere. They don’t mind hurting or killing cyclists who get in their way. To these people, bicyclists deserve whatever awful thing happens to them. It’s the deserved price bicyclists pay for taking up space on the road.

Despite this noble pedigree, I think she hates me,

.One such hater is Cher. Worth an estimated $600 million, and one of the most successful female recording artists of all time, she belongs to the vocal Hollywood celebrirati who passionately and aggressively promote their political views.

Cher believes that cyclists don’t belong on Pacific Coast Highway, or at least the part of it that runs by her house. In her words, she hates them. They are “FKRS.” They live in a different universe. They are dangerous, and their act of riding bicycles is akin to Russian roulette.

Of course, it’s okay for the front of her house, which faces the ocean, to be constantly blocked with cars and service vehicles so that cyclists have to leave the relative safety of the shoulder and get out into the lane. And naturally, it’s okay for her to tweet and text and talk and drive.

Her sentiments are not restricted to the domain of a few rich celebrities. Read the comments in this thread, if you can. It will remind you that your life is worthless, and that you are more contemptible than an Escalade.

If you think this ersatz liberal cares about you and your bike, think again. Because, you know, “She’s got you, babe.” In her gunsights.

So it’s easy enough to write off, right? Just another super rich person telling everyone else to **** off, kind of like a presidential campaign.

Except that, you know, it’s really not. Terence Connor, drummer for a Brooklyn band, died this morning in a hit and run accident while riding his bike. Whatever universe he was in, he’s in a different one now. As Cher might say, he played Russian roulette and lost.

A tad closer to home, Scott Folck was struck and killed by a motorist while riding early in the morning in San Diego County. Scott was 35, and as they say, he left behind a wife and two young children. As Cher might say, “Sic of these IDIOTS!”

Sara Leaf, age 29, was run over and killed by a stake-bed truck driver who turned right onto her a couple of weeks ago in Newport Beach. Oops. Cher might want to add “Cannot say enough about these Insane fks!”

Dr. Catherine Ritz, 57, an esteemed physician also from Newport Beach, was killed by a hit and run driver on September 15, the same weekend as Sara Leaf. She was recognized in her community for having treated thousands, yes thousands, of patients over the course of a distinguished career dedicated to helping the sick. In the words of Cher, “I HATE THEM!”

Two days ago, an unidentified cyclist was seriously injured, again by a hit and run driver in San Diego. Police are searching for the driver, whose license plate was identified by witnesses. Sometimes when you run over a human being, you know, you just keep going. It might have been a curb. To quote Cher, “omg Urrr! Yuck.”

And the list goes on and on and on, throughout the country, this country, where people in cars hate people on bicycles for being on bicycles, hate them so much that they kill them. Omg. Urrr! Yuck.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I just have one remark to drivers that hate cyclists.

So Say you have your child of 8, that wants a bicycle for chrismas. Do you buy your child a bicycle? Do you make shure to buy your child a helmet with that aswell? Where do you let your child cycle, only in your yard, on your grass or in your home, I think not. Do you supervise your child on that bicycle, and teach them to stop and get of the road when a vehicle approaches or to keep to the left of the road? Most parrents do not even drive save enough so that your child can ride their bikes to school, because the parrents that do not give a hoot, park in cycle lanes, on sidwalks, turn without looking and the chanses are good that your child on a bicycle will get killed by his friends mom/dad.

Now say your child whants to take up cycling as a sport. This child has the potential to become a world champ or an olympic medalist. Where do you let them train? Do you drive behind them to protect them? Doing so, blocking the traffic and causing traffic jams. Do you get on a bicycle and cycle with them, teaching them how to respect road rules?

I have seen a lot of instances where vehicles overtake another vehicle with a cyclist coming from the front, pushing that cyclist, that was oncomming traffic off the road. Not respecting his rights one bit. I come from Bloemfontein, that has a lot less traffic than Gauteng, but people there mostly respect road rules. They dont overtake slower vehicles on the left in yellow lanes( something I see every day as I drive to work. Most people start stopping at yellow lights as the traffic light changes, here you will get flashed and hooted at for not using the 3 seconds of red light before the other turns green. Here if you stop dead at a stop street with no traffic, people will drive past you as you pull away.

Most people should remember to clean your own yard before critisizing your nabours long grass!

Edited by JA-Q001

I had so many people tell me I was not allowed to ride on the road when I lived in South Florida that I eventually went and looked up the laws. Turns out you have to ride on the road and obey all the road laws and may ride on the sidewalk, as they call it, but under a different set of laws and under particular circumstances.

It is pretty bad here in SA but my experiences in Florida were worse

Our usual Saturday morning jaunt down Lynnwood road seems to bring the "best" out in some drivers. In the 35 years I ahve been perched on my saddle, :thumbup: only having being knocked off my perch once, this one tops them all.

Please be aware of the Land Rover Discovery 3 or 4, light greenish colour from the East side of Pretoria who cannot drive like 99% of the other motorists and negotiate their way past a group of cyclists. Now we all know that cyclists legally must ride in single file and one day I'd like to arrange a massive group doing just that so see how motorists react, but thats for another day.

So you hear this hooter, not a polite warning but the constant blare. I'm at the back and see this Landy, next second it's on the gravel verge overaking us on the left only to push into the group about halfway. So I sprint past and slow down forcing her to either hit me or stop. :eek:

We exchange verbals, she has a baby behind the driver and a 4 or 5 year old right in the back. She could have thrown this thing over on the gravel.

Anyway, she told me in no uncertain terms how wrong we were and that she had not broken any laws and she believes it. :cursing:

At the Boschkop SAPS they told me that as no one was injured and nothing damaged, the prosecutor would just throw the docket out. I mean really, W T F ???

Not to play Devil’s advocate here but I do believe that this specific scenario needs a bit of contextualizing. I drive Lynnwood out towards the Boschkop turnoff every day to get to work. Currently, the road from Hans Strydom to the Hazeldean Shopping Centre is being upgraded and the physical tar surface available to any kind of traffic is an absolute minimum. Also, the traffic light at the T-junction turning left to Oscar’s Place has been out forever and traffic backs up across the Hans Strydom Lynnwood intersection every morning. Finally, this area is notorious for minibus taxis who drive in the worst possible and most inconsiderate way possible. To say the least – taking this road is a nightmare and super frustrating.

Now add to this already volatile traffic nightmare bunches of cyclists who navigate their way through agitated drivers, taxis and pedestrians at peak traffic hours. On a daily basis I just shake my head in disbelief at fellow cyclists who force their way through this mess at 7 on a weekday morning. And – I must admit, in many occasions they do so with an attitude - and in way that will hardly further positive driver – cyclist relations (on more than one occasion have I witnessed cyclists harassing drivers who did not make way for them – heaven knows where to – when passing). Every morning I just grind my teeth for the safety of the cyclists and hope for patience in the car drivers.

Argie’s incident occurred on a Saturday and I admit that the traffic situation is better over weekends. I also think that the actions of the driver was idiotic, to say the least. However, we must consider why other road users who have to sit through this mess every day and then observe the actions of cyclists, feel the way they feel. We as cyclists are also responsible for the ever-present bad vibes between drivers and riders and a little bit of common sense when deciding when, and where to ride will not hurt.

Just my 2c…

The 4x4 community are in good company - bunny hugging, left leaning libertarian Cher recently let loose had a twat attack via twitter on some cyclists:

http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher1.jpg?w=200&h=300 http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher3.jpg?w=200&h=300

http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher2.jpg?w=200&h=300 http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher4.jpg?w=200&h=300

And here is a response from a blogger who rides on the same road she is ranting about:

(http://pvcycling.wor...k-she-hates-me/)

I often forget how many people hate me because I ride a bike.

They are, however, everywhere. They don’t mind hurting or killing cyclists who get in their way. To these people, bicyclists deserve whatever awful thing happens to them. It’s the deserved price bicyclists pay for taking up space on the road.

Despite this noble pedigree, I think she hates me,

.One such hater is Cher. Worth an estimated $600 million, and one of the most successful female recording artists of all time, she belongs to the vocal Hollywood celebrirati who passionately and aggressively promote their political views.

Cher believes that cyclists don’t belong on Pacific Coast Highway, or at least the part of it that runs by her house. In her words, she hates them. They are “FKRS.” They live in a different universe. They are dangerous, and their act of riding bicycles is akin to Russian roulette.

Of course, it’s okay for the front of her house, which faces the ocean, to be constantly blocked with cars and service vehicles so that cyclists have to leave the relative safety of the shoulder and get out into the lane. And naturally, it’s okay for her to tweet and text and talk and drive.

Her sentiments are not restricted to the domain of a few rich celebrities. Read the comments in this thread, if you can. It will remind you that your life is worthless, and that you are more contemptible than an Escalade.

If you think this ersatz liberal cares about you and your bike, think again. Because, you know, “She’s got you, babe.” In her gunsights.

So it’s easy enough to write off, right? Just another super rich person telling everyone else to **** off, kind of like a presidential campaign.

Except that, you know, it’s really not. Terence Connor, drummer for a Brooklyn band, died this morning in a hit and run accident while riding his bike. Whatever universe he was in, he’s in a different one now. As Cher might say, he played Russian roulette and lost.

A tad closer to home, Scott Folck was struck and killed by a motorist while riding early in the morning in San Diego County. Scott was 35, and as they say, he left behind a wife and two young children. As Cher might say, “Sic of these IDIOTS!”

Sara Leaf, age 29, was run over and killed by a stake-bed truck driver who turned right onto her a couple of weeks ago in Newport Beach. Oops. Cher might want to add “Cannot say enough about these Insane fks!”

Dr. Catherine Ritz, 57, an esteemed physician also from Newport Beach, was killed by a hit and run driver on September 15, the same weekend as Sara Leaf. She was recognized in her community for having treated thousands, yes thousands, of patients over the course of a distinguished career dedicated to helping the sick. In the words of Cher, “I HATE THEM!”

Two days ago, an unidentified cyclist was seriously injured, again by a hit and run driver in San Diego. Police are searching for the driver, whose license plate was identified by witnesses. Sometimes when you run over a human being, you know, you just keep going. It might have been a curb. To quote Cher, “omg Urrr! Yuck.”

And the list goes on and on and on, throughout the country, this country, where people in cars hate people on bicycles for being on bicycles, hate them so much that they kill them. Omg. Urrr! Yuck.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I drove past Cher's house the other day in LA. luckily I wasn't on my bike. That highway however reminded me of the N1 incoming in CPT, where I wouldn't want to ride my bike either.

@4x4 entoesias, you so tuff behind the wheel of your 4x4 ?!

..maybe thehub can lend you a bike and you can go experience cycling on our roads first hand, unfortunately obeying all the rules and been considerate doesn't always turn out in the cyclists' favour.

Until then, your post has as much value as a wet fart in a perfume factory..

How do you others who dare the roads here cope with a near death experience thanks to a motorist?

I generally let the motorist know my feelings, but that might back fire on me one day, if said motorist on the brink. Tempted to pack a pepper spray just in case, but what's a man to do? How can you be nice to someone who almost just killed you?

Edited by kosmonooit

How do you others who dare the roads here cope with a near death experience thanks to a motorist?

I make a real good point about how "happy" I am .

http://pvcycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/cher4.jpg?w=200&h=300

did the blogger mentioned and no-one else not pick up that she is bitching about cyclists while openly admitting to tweeting whilst driving........what a useless wench

I generally let the motorist know my feelings, but that might back fire on me one day, if said motorist on the brink. Tempted to pack a pepper spray just in case, but what's a man to do? How can you be nice to someone who almost just killed you?

am with you, in my case the risk of getting run over is probably smaller than being knocked out by someone who almost ran me over... and then saw what I thought of him...

did the blogger mentioned and no-one else not pick up that she is bitching about cyclists while openly admitting to tweeting whilst driving........what a useless wench

Cher, now how does that piece of human trash even know how to tweet.

She rapes a Marc Cohn song, has lips that look like melted condoms and probably flosses rug out here teeth 20 times a week.

It's in the breeding they say, never knew she was born in the old Triomf.

Cher, now how does that piece of human trash even know how to tweet.

She rapes a Marc Cohn song, has lips that look like melted condoms and probably flosses rug out here teeth 20 times a week.

It's in the breeding they say, never knew she was born in the old Triomf.

So much LOL

Take a deep breath and think again before you do anything, killing a cyclist (or pedestrian or fellow motorist) will change your life forever and it won't be for the better.