USN for Kids - Twitter war

Thorn199

Hi guys and girls

I am JarradVZ.

I am a mountain-biker and a bit of a Hub creep in that I'm around a lot but I don't say too much.

I am a doctor with a diploma in anesthesia and I'm currently completing my masters in Sports Medicine at UP. I am relatively new to the sports medicine game but I am passionate about it. I am a scientist, 1st and foremost.

I have no personal vendetta against USN or any other supplements company. I do have a problem though with the lack of regulations in the supplements industry which have led to false performance claims, contamination with steroids and stimulants etc. you simply don't know what is really in that tub when you buy it, and frankly, neither do the manufacturers. I wrote an academic article on the subject and will link it when I find it.

I am very busy in theatre today and so I haven't read through the whole thread (I wonder if it can rival the infamous "snake-shovel" thread). I will get through it this evening and attempt to answer any questions that may have been posted.

The pic posted on page 1 is a screenshot of my direct message stream with Albe from yesterday. He advertised his new "kids sports supplement" and I conceded that such a product would be very useful for malnourished children but asked why it would be needed in an otherwise healthy child. I didn't get an answer. I then pointed out that the product is sugary with a good deal of sodium and does contain additives (even if they are "natural"). He didn't like this and I soon received the 1st threat on direct message. I then edited one of his tweets to infer that his company was about the money and cared little for ethics. That one prompted the now infamous "25 follower" lawyer threat.

I tweeted the comment to my 25 followers and things kind of snow-balled from there. All I want is for the public to know the facts. This product is completely unnecessary in a child nourished with a balanced diet of real food whether the child is sporty or not.

Comments and questions welcome

Jarrad

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jarrad

Support your sentiments in this regard 100% and was a bit suprised (in a negative sense) at USN CEO's response.

My question would be:

What would the difference be bewteen the USN kids product and the norrmal off the shelf Nesquick / milo etc... powdered milkshake type products?

Guess a bit more than 25 people have seen the conversation now.

Who needs a marketing department when you've got old Albe "foot in mouth disease" Geldenhuys as a CEO?

I do have a problem though with the lack of regulations in the supplements industry which have led to false performance claims, contamination with steroids and stimulants etc. you simply don't know what is really in that tub when you buy it, and frankly, neither do the manufacturers. I wrote an academic article on the subject and will link it when I find it.

Very valid pointthumbup1.gif

That being said, you take your kid there 6 times a week ?

No, but parents talk at practice and mathces etc. Also, they are in the same class, so they go to birthday parties etc. Duh.

Well from my view, the Milo/Nesquick is just a nice treat for a kid. It wasn't intended as nutrition for anything lacking in the diet. The USN kids nutri shake is specifically intended to make up for a supposed lack of protein/nutrients in the diet, or for very sporty kids apparently needing extra nutrition above what a good normal diet gives them.

Support your sentiments in this regard 100% and was a bit suprised (in a negative sense) at USN CEO's response.

My question would be:

What would the difference be bewteen the USN kids product and the norrmal off the shelf Nesquick / milo etc... powdered milkshake type products?

My guess would be:

1. Marketing

2. Packaging

3. Nestle doesn't have a horse's arse for a CEO

Edited by sluiper

Well from my view, the Milo/Nesquick is just a nice treat for a kid. It wasn't intended as nutrition for anything lacking in the diet. The USN kids nutri shake is specifically intended to make up for a supposed lack of protein/nutrients in the diet, or for very sporty kids apparently needing extra nutrition above what a good normal diet gives them.

I'm wondering about the nutritional qualities / properties cause from my humble laymens perspective i would imagine that there is not much difference.

My guess would be:

1. Marketing

2. Packaging

3. Nestle doesn't have a horse's arse for a CEO

1. Dunno, i seem to recall seeing plenty of adverts including on TV for nesquick / milo promoting it

2. Ditto above

3. LOL carefull it could be perceived that your issue is more with the person than the product.

Hi guys and girls

I am JarradVZ.

I am a mountain-biker and a bit of a Hub creep in that I'm around a lot but I don't say too much.

I am a doctor with a diploma in anesthesia and I'm currently completing my masters in Sports Medicine at UP. I am relatively new to the sports medicine game but I am passionate about it. I am a scientist, 1st and foremost.

I have no personal vendetta against USN or any other supplements company. I do have a problem though with the lack of regulations in the supplements industry which have led to false performance claims, contamination with steroids and stimulants etc. you simply don't know what is really in that tub when you buy it, and frankly, neither do the manufacturers. I wrote an academic article on the subject and will link it when I find it.

I am very busy in theatre today and so I haven't read through the whole thread (I wonder if it can rival the infamous "snake-shovel" thread). I will get through it this evening and attempt to answer any questions that may have been posted.

The pic posted on page 1 is a screenshot of my direct message stream with Albe from yesterday. He advertised his new "kids sports supplement" and I conceded that such a product would be very useful for malnourished children but asked why it would be needed in an otherwise healthy child. I didn't get an answer. I then pointed out that the product is sugary with a good deal of sodium and does contain additives (even if they are "natural"). He didn't like this and I soon received the 1st threat on direct message. I then edited one of his tweets to infer that his company was about the money and cared little for ethics. That one prompted the now infamous "25 follower" lawyer threat.

I tweeted the comment to my 25 followers and things kind of snow-balled from there. All I want is for the public to know the facts. This product is completely unnecessary in a child nourished with a balanced diet of real food whether the child is sporty or not.

Jarrad

I agree with you 100% Jarrad. Way to much unhealthy ingredients in some of these supplements - studies have proven that sugar (in all it's forms) is not only addictive but that the high doses that are present in most processed foods and supplements can actually lead to diabetes, etc etc.

I'm glad you had the b@lls to take them on. Pity about the aggression you got from them. As a consumer, I would like to see USN taking constructive criticism and using it to improve their product offering, not attacking you and threatening legal action. As for his 25 followers comment, he might end up ruing that.

Edited by rattlesnake

Hi guys and girls

I am JarradVZ.

Good to see you're taking a stand here, I agree with your views and would like to see more disclosure coming. This is in the entire supplements industry and not just USN.

I'm not entirely sure that posting DM thread is the right way to go, but the message got across.

Hi guys and girls

I am JarradVZ.

Jarrad

Jarrad,

please read the position statement of SAIDS i posted. it echos your sentiment strongly!

Despite what is in it and the controls at the lab etc.

My issue is the psychology of giving a kid a nutritional shake to make/help a kid perform, as per the label. (Summarized)

Marketing a product like this changes it's role from being for malnourished kids to performance and this takes it into the Lance realm.

I'm not comfortable with this and I don't have kids. What kind of behaviour are we condoning in our future champs?

My question would be:

plus 1

SA Business Schools now have a new case study of how executives should NOT respond to comments questioning their products on social media.

Any parent who feeds their kids supplements of that nature (in fact any supplements) needs to take a moment to contemplate their competence as a parent. By all means give kids milkshakes, crisps, sweets and cake as treats but please don't think that some powder mixed with water is going to substitute for or even supplement a balanced healthy diet.

As for kids being competitive - sure they are but the real competitiveness comes from parents who achieved nothing in their lives but feel the need to compensate for this by doing so vicariously through their children. Those are the kinds of parents USN are targetting and no surprises that they buy into the marketing spin.

Edited by sometime

When it comes to kiddo's one has to be very sensitive...for this reason I don't think this product will do as well as anticipated. That being said, how many people that crucify this will buy a happy meal tonight. No it doesn't mean I will buy this for my kids just saying that there are far worse evils out there.