The Froome Dawg Thread

'Dale

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

The more awesome riders in the mix for GC the better!

I don't care who it is, but getting the sharp end of the GC cat at a grand tour packed with genuine contenders would be the raddest thing ever for cycling.

38, 28, 23.... who cares.

I'm glad Roglic is moving on from JV. Adds another 'contender' to what was becoming a two horse race.

If Froome gets there, amazing. If not? IPT have spent a lot of money on a lemon.

Either way, the marketing of all of this and the ability to keep him 'relevant' while he really isn't has been phenomenal 

The man himself is really squeezing every last drop out of that lemon, and who can blame him.

I for one enjoyed it while it lasted. Always claimed him as a SA rider. 

And now I am enjoying the new generation even more. Very entertaining sport !😁

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Shebeen said:

zigactly.

let's look at his last TdF win, 2017. He beat Rigo Uran into 2nd place. At 30 then he'd be moving into the traditional "peak" of his GC career.

Where's he now? also getting spanked by this new generation of youngsters. 71st on Gc at TdF this year!

Which TdF did he achieve 71st?

This year he did not ride and last year he DNF

2021 he was 133rd

Source = PCS

20 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Which TdF did he achieve 71st?

This year he did not ride and last year he DNF

2021 he was 133rd

Source = PCS

[Zuma voice] listen properly [/Zuma voice]

I was looking at Uran. 

In the same way Froome has gone from best in the world in 2017 to very average pro rider, the guy he beat into 2nd place in his final TdF win is also not doing that well(comparatively). Can make a similar argument for someone younger like Landa who was his Skyborg superdom at that tour and got a comfortable 4th. 

The actual point is 

a)if Froome can get back to his 2017 numbers, he will still get spanked by the 2024 peleton (and that's a big if)

b)his legacy of 4x TdF is amazing, but it this new generation of younger GC riders are miles ahead of who he rode against. He is not realising this.  

On 12/3/2012 at 12:51 PM, 'Dale said:

Chris Froome is a phenomenal Grand Tour PRO to reach the headlines over the last few years.

In my mind, Froome Dog has to have his own thread here on the HubSA.

2013 is forecasted to be another cracker for this PRO who calls South Africa 'home'.

PLACE YOUR CHIRPS, OPINIONS, VIEWS HERE.

quite interesting to timeline this thread against his career.

page 1 - dec 2012 - thread starts Froome has now come 2nd in TdF shepherding wiggo to the title, and (retroactively) won a Vuelta

page 4 - june 2013 Frrome lines up as GC leader at TdF

page 19 - aug2013 - Froome wins TdF1 and aftermath

page 28 -  july 2017. Froome wins a whole bunch of stuff over 4 years.

page53 - nov 2023 the rest is all post injury comeback talk.

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

quite interesting to timeline this thread against his career.

page 1 - dec 2012 - thread starts Froome has now come 2nd in TdF shepherding wiggo to the title, and (retroactively) won a Vuelta

page 4 - june 2013 Frrome lines up as GC leader at TdF

page 19 - aug2013 - Froome wins TdF1 and aftermath

page 28 -  july 2017. Froome wins a whole bunch of stuff over 4 years.

page53 - nov 2023 the rest is all post injury comeback talk.

Without wishing harm on anyone, I’d love to see another grand tour podium contender (as in the current crop of youngsters) go through what injuries Froomie has and make the same comeback. He does not need to, but I admire him for still trying.

Sure a GT win at his age and stage is not likely, if I’m not mistaken this was admitted during his last TDF where they said the main goal was to go for stage wins.

Just like opinions…. Everyone reads into things the way they want to

On 11/8/2023 at 2:15 PM, SwissVan said:

Without wishing harm on anyone, I’d love to see another grand tour podium contender (as in the current crop of youngsters) go through what injuries Froomie has and make the same comeback. He does not need to, but I admire him for still trying.

Sure a GT win at his age and stage is not likely, if I’m not mistaken this was admitted during his last TDF where they said the main goal was to go for stage wins.

Just like opinions…. Everyone reads into things the way they want to

As much as I love Froomey it's not a comeback but more like a recovery. If he was "ready" for the tour, why did he finish way, way down the GC in both the arbitrary races he's ridden in since? You could say he peaked for the tour but it must have been a very spikey peak....and he would have had SOME form a month or so after. As much as I hate airing dirty laundry in public Ala F1's Guenther Steiner on Mick Schumacher, even the Israel team boss is now expressing buyers remorse....

Reading through some comments here I have come to the conclusion.

Humans don’t get old. They can perform at top level till they turn 90.

Everyone has won the TDF, some more than others.

Retirement is not for sissies, somebody needs to inform Merckx and perhaps also Mike Tyson whilst they are at it.

Humans aren’t jealous, they only get annoyed when others do better than them.

South Africa has the biggest population of top level riders, in a group ride(no matter the size) there will only be one normal human. 
The rest are super human.

The Dunning Kruger philosophy is a myth.

Bye for now, have a lekker weekend champs.

24 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

Reading through some comments here I have come to the conclusion.

Humans don’t get old. They can perform at top level till they turn 90.

Everyone has won the TDF, some more than others.

Retirement is not for sissies, somebody needs to inform Merckx and perhaps also Mike Tyson whilst they are at it.

Humans aren’t jealous, they only get annoyed when others do better than them.

South Africa has the biggest population of top level riders, in a group ride(no matter the size) there will only be one normal human. 
The rest are super human.

The Dunning Kruger philosophy is a myth.

Bye for now, have a lekker weekend champs.

good point.

pretty sure if you look through my comments here over the years I have been hugely supportive of the guy. It's amazing what motivates him to keep going.

but even I think he's getting to this stage, 

(but the crowd cheering him on is dwindling)

Edited by Shebeen

8 hours ago, Shebeen said:

good point.

pretty sure if you look through my comments here over the years I have been hugely supportive of the guy. It's amazing what motivates him to keep going.

but even I think he's getting to this stage, 

(but the crowd cheering him on is dwindling)

I love Froomey to bits and I'd love to see or have seen him comeback but I'm a realist and just don't see him being competitive. His latest YT video about being "ready" for the tour and the claims about bike setup have done it for me.

I don't know if he's trying to hang on for one more year of salary or what it is but Froomey can see his power numbers and so can the team -no DS in his right mind would block a great riders participation in a grand tour if he's at the requested level. 

Bike setup? No way. At that level he'd notice it. Even an old amateur such as me would notice 2-3mm each way. I've seen Froomey ride a too small Shimano backup bike - it was ugly but he made it work for a bit 

I was an avid Outkast fan when I was younger. This is the opening line of "Aquemeni". 

Uh-huh, even the sun goes down, heroes eventually die
Horoscopes often lie and sometimes "Y"
Nothing is for sure, nothing is for certain, nothing lasts forever
But until they close the curtain (God knows), it's him and I, Aquemini. 

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

I don’t think anyone is questioning, or has questioned, his personality, ever. 

For sure, there’s been some snarky remarks in some of the comments, but nothing like some of the international forums/article comments. Particularly UK centric.
There’s an ugly element in the world in general where some people take joy in  getting personal in putting a person down when they fall, particularly if they’re accomplished in an area. 
But not all criticism/disagreement is based around that. 

3 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

For sure, there’s been some snarky remarks in some of the comments, but nothing like some of the international forums/article comments. Particularly UK centric.
There’s an ugly element in the world in general where some people take joy in  getting personal in putting a person down when they fall, particularly if they’re accomplished in an area. 
But not all criticism/disagreement is based around that. 

I think (have read a few articles as well) that this stems from interactive nobodyism with an audience with zero consequence to the statements creating an emotional disconnect between Chris Froome the athlete and Chris Froome the person (insert other public figure/sports person).

So essentially people are comfortable making swathing comments, remarks and statements without even recognising that the subject matter is a person. 

The lack of accountability for on-line abuse and false information posting enables more and more people to jump on the wagon.

There are entire youtube channels and podcasts that JUST bash famous personalities. The Click and interact nature of news also means 'journalists' are 'publishing' absolute nonsense and people are reading and sharing it.