Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

Our group does this ride before 6 and ironically does single file where the road is narrowest along the routes we ride in an attempt to disrupt traffic flow. You can't avoid stretches like Clifton in getting onto Victoria heading towards Chappies. It's not like the alternative roads have safer widths either.

I was merely trying to suggest a reason some groups would do this through the areas mentioned. To each their own. Again the over riding factor is attitude. Our group seldom has a run in with anyone and typically we get many thank you waves etc. it's more about how you behave than specifically what you do.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ag chinas, I can like to croon you I can laaik to break the law when it soots me coz I can laaik to but no one else can laaik to do the same coz I don't laaik that" is all that some people seem to come up with.

Why should a taxi sit in the lane behind you and wait when it makes more sense to him to push past you on the wrong side of the road in order to stop 10 meters later for a passenger, because in his and the passengers opinion it makes more sense to use the open piece of road. Same with pavement. Oh, and they think that stopping in the intersection makes more sense because there's more space.

Of course there is also the whole have-a-fast-vehicle brigade who maintain that by speeding they are out of the way in front of other vehicles so according to them they are safer and the other vehicles have less traffic to deal with.

Of course, not stopping at red lights after dark is also all about safety, both the car jumping the lights and the other cars who might have to stop behind them - far safer for everyone to jump lights to avoid smash and grabs cos that is far worse than dying when some dumb moron jumps a light and smashes into you.

Common sense is most uncommon and logic is the realm of an exclusive few.

I got a feeling he might have been looking down for just that second.

It's all so quick, I reckon.

Or possibly he was riding much faster than the taxi assumed he was? If he was going 40 or 50 km/hr and the taxi assumed he was only going much slower and turned too close in front of him (which sounds likely based on the eye witness account) there is no way he could've slowed or stopped in time. Of course, the taxi driver is just saying "I didn't see him" as this is the easiest way to deny any form of accountability.

Agree Azonic. Can only guess that the taxi had no indicator on and appeared to be traveling at a speed that would've suggested it was continuing straight on. Must've looked down at the monitor to check speed or heart rate or similar and didn't even see it happening to get an opportunity to try and avoid the taxi or cushion the impact, lift an arm to protect his head or so on.

Does anyone know how cradle got cycle lanes done. I think that is the answer - 4 designated cycling areas (north, south, east and west) per city where there are large cycle lanes and heavy fines for motorists who digress.

I have seen how they drive. Motorbikes and bicycles do not exist for taxis. I have seen a taxi driving up the wrong side of the road, a motorbike was coming from the other direction and had to swerve off the road to avoid a head-on with the taxi. They are extremely dangerous.

Indeed, the truth is at this point its an unknown but the hysterical blame game needs to stop.

From what I see the driver has complied fully with the authorities, he stopped and waited for the police and made a statement as did others. I understand charges will be laid and later a court will decide the outcome, as tragic as it is, accidents are no respecter of status, they happen to everyone, young and old, rich and poor, famous or just ordinary, everyday is a gift.

Our top development rider was training on the Phakalane road when a taxi pulled over in front of him and stopped.Fabian had his head down and was doing about 45 Kay's.Dead immediately.Was very sad.They do not realise how fast a bike can be

Or possibly he was riding much faster than the taxi assumed he was? If he was going 40 or 50 km/hr and the taxi assumed he was only going much slower and turned too close in front of him (which sounds likely based on the eye witness account) there is no way he could've slowed or stopped in time. Of course, the taxi driver is just saying "I didn't see him" as this is the easiest way to deny any form of accountability.

I've been caught out by a car like this once - most likely very much slower than Burry was going. The driver (in my case) claimed he didn't see me ... in broad daylight with a luminous yellow jacket. By the time you realise the car's intentions, it's too late to do anything. My guess is that the driver totally misjudged the speed at which Burry was coming.

What's ironic that the Burry was very concious of the dangers of the road, telling and ticking of others who take risks, and always insured the pack rode in single file, that's according to Charise's press release yesterday.

It's the one you don't see, or see too late, that takes you down. In my years of driving, I have been fortunate and lucky not to have had any major accidents. I have manage to avoid so many crashes, but the ones I have had had been unavoidable, sometimes there's nothing you can do, except try and minimise the damage.

Edited by kosmonooit

I had a crash in similar fashion a few years ago. Coming down a hill past a primary school on my morning ride. Bakkie turns out without looking from the roadside parking next to the school after dropping off the kids. No problem I think, double lane and I need to turn right ahead, so I look back to see if I can change lanes. I start moving over only to look forward to see the bakkie standing accross both lanes making a u turn and waiting for oncoming traffic, I hit both brakes with my hands in the drops and the wheels start to lock up. I hit the bakkie side-on and crush my left hand on impact. doing my own reconstruction of burry's accident I presume that the taxi was making a u turn on a road that was not wide enough, so he would have been stationary while he turned the u turn into a 3 way turn. Easy to come around a blind bend and not have enough time to brake.