Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

I've been living abroad for a while so I'm not familiar with the way things are in general; however, wouldn't more visible policing i.e. the police / traffic officers patrolling the roads and issuing fines to vehicle drivers and cyclists for bad road usage behaviour be a deterent ?

Probably right here, we just seem to have visible policing when its long weekends, easter and Dec holidays.

Prehaps some city cops should be made to get on a bike and do their patrols this way (those metro cops are real 'porkers'...!)

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to add....

This morning on my way to NF (by car), Andrew McClean and a bunch of Cycle Lab riders (red kits) were riding in a bunch on Cedar road just before the Sasol Garage. 3 riders next to each other at some point.

Guys, there is a yellow lane of some sort, single file please. Stick to it.

I expected more from organised rides and experienced riders.

Andrew, if you read this, and feel I'm being unfair, PM me, I'll happily provide my mobile nr so we can discuss.

There is a big difference between breaking the law and murdering someone. who the $&;&; do u think u are trying to justify this . Please lord if I meet u one day may he be with u!!!!!!!

Who's committed murder?...

U summarizing using all cyclist in one category right here. Trust me we down the coast ride within the rules as we know how these drivers are. BUT u cannot justify Wat u are saying someone has been killed. Due to a incompetent driver. We don't have 2 or 3 lanes to ride we have a yellow line and sometimes not even that. All we ask us for a bit more competence from drivers. The few you met need to be named as a club or however u can name and shame them don't go assuming we all the same . This is a terrible post don't accept this at all

... and who's an incompotent driver?

PS: punctuation can only help your cause...

U summarizing using all cyclist in one category right here. Trust me we down the coast ride within the rules as we know how these drivers are. BUT u cannot justify Wat u are saying someone has been killed. Due to a incompetent driver. We don't have 2 or 3 lanes to ride we have a yellow line and sometimes not even that. All we ask us for a bit more competence from drivers. The few you met need to be named as a club or however u can name and shame them don't go assuming we all the same . This is a terrible post don't accept this at all

Where do you get this information.?

Kindly point me to any judicial inquiry that has been done which proves that the driver was incompetent. I have heard no official report that says the driver was to blame for the accident. So far this has been only speculation. It may be true, but right now its pure speculation and needs to be stopped.

I think we are old and big enough to understand that the post is not referring to all cyclists but a group of cyclists. It is good to know that the cyclists down at the coast cycle within the rules of the road. Just this morning I saw a group of cyclists cycling through a red robo and it is rather pathetic that some knowledgeable adults will put themselves at risk.

I understand the point being here is that inlight of the recent tragedy of our legend MTB'r on our roads, some cyclists still have not realized that riding on the roads must be done with being aware of the dangers as well as by abiding the rules of the road.

Enough with the emotional replies, we all are hurting at the loss of Burry

Edited by MyGT

There is a big difference between breaking the law and murdering someone. who the $&;&; do u think u are trying to justify this . Please lord if I meet u one day may he be with u!!!!!!!

You are totally lost. Good luck finding your way back!

Oh boy, Niner is going to have a field day on this thread.

The biggest problem is that you'll find it's the big bunches running on the "safety in numbers" principle who aggravate the motorists and then it's the folk riding solo or in small manageable groups who fall victim to self-justifying motorists.

DuaneRockwell on twitter: Cyclists blame motorists. Motorists blame cyclists. Stop looking for someone to blame. YOU do the right thing! Starts with you.

Well it seems like cyclists are blaming cyclists. agree 100% instead of calling for these cyclists heads warn them. But then again "we" also attack each other of being the most arrogant and rude bunch. Ai "we" just don't win!

Last week i had a motorist unintentionally push me to the curb at a circle a tapped on he's fender to warn him I'm there..... let's just say i won't be doing that again!

DuaneRockwell on twitter: Cyclists blame motorists. Motorists blame cyclists. Stop looking for someone to blame. YOU do the right thing! Starts with you.

like he said: starts with me.

when driving:

typing on a cellphone while driving?

taking a call or searching for a number while driving?

driving 80 in a 60 zone?

when cycling:

making eye contact with any driver that may be a threat

assume that i am invisible

showing respect.

acknowledge drivers when they see me at an intersection and give me way, even if I had right of way to start with

Edited by cat-i

like he said: starts with me.

when driving:

typing on a cellphone while driving?

taking a call or searching for a number while driving?

driving 80 in a 60 zone?

when cycling:

making eye contact with any driver that may be a threat

assume that i am invisible

showing respect.

acknowledge drivers when they see me at an intersection and give me way, even if I had right of way to start with

That there, is something we should all practice. When a driver gets that, it just increases the chance of them giving you adequate space when they overtake you. It makes them feel good, doesn't matter in how much of a hurry they were, I find they're more relaxed as opposed to getting more frustrated with "having to wait for this cyclist"

Edited by Bianchisti