Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

Please remember as well that its not just tar roads where you are at risk, in 3 years of almost cycling daily around Magalies and the numerous dirt roads I have had several incidents with drivers on my side of the road (the left) not moving or swerving at the last second. People seem to switch off once they hit the dirt road and drive all over the place, regardless of the road condition. Easter and Christmas are the some of the dodgier times around here, we have a holiday resort down the road with guests that get tanked up and let kids of 7 or 8 ride quads 2-up with no helmets on the dirt roads, 4x4 doing doughnuts in the roads and dirt bikers racing as though they are training for the Dakar rally!

I often see groups of cyclists on the dirt roads never having a look over their shoulders as well, as mentioned guys drive pretty badly on dirt roads as well so its in your best interests to be alert off road, as well as on the black stuff.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to mount the pavement today in Wynberg to avoid a taxi coming down the road towards me on the wrong side of the road, at high speed. I pointed to the side of the road he should be driving on as he approached me, and he showed me the finger.

Now cycling on the pavement is illegal. So I shouldn't have broken the law to stay alive?

And here some advice to all motorist who get stressed over roadies riding in packs: take a chill pill.

There is a big difference between breaking the law and murdering someone. who the $&;&; do u think u are trying to justify this . Please lord if I meet u one day may he be with u!!!!!!!

You really should watch how you threaten people in public. You do know this can be used as evidence against you.

Also, it's not strictly in keeping with the forum CoC.

DuaneRockwell on twitter: Cyclists blame motorists. Motorists blame cyclists. Stop looking for someone to blame. YOU do the right thing! Starts with you.

I thought I'll just put this important bit on page 2 as well.

I had to mount the pavement today in Wynberg to avoid a taxi coming down the road towards me on the wrong side of the road, at high speed. I pointed to the side of the road he should be driving on as he approached me, and he showed me the finger.

Yoh!

Glad you're okay.

So, this morning, guy on a MTB going down atlas road, the intersection before the big church, nearly gets killed when he goes against a red light, and a CMS vehicle which has right of way has to almost stop on green to avoid hitting him.

MTB rider, you are a problem.

Later on, outside the east rand mall, a guy on an MTB wearing Club 100 kit, was a gary Fisher 29er in case someone knows him, almost rear ends me when I stop at a red light. You, sir, are a disgrace to your club.

Edited by TNT1

it would be preferable the roadies get over themselves and unbunch in more ways than one, then no need for unnecessary pills to bypass the irritations taking up the road. Attitudes like kosmo's undermines mutual respect on the road, because each side tells the other to take a chill pill. just flipping awesome. i guess when a cyclist jumps a red robot despite there being traffic around to trigger a normal light change, the traffic officer and everyone else must also take a chillpill.

well well, time to invest in chillpills.

Now cycling on the pavement is illegal. So I shouldn't have broken the law to stay alive?

Don't be obtuse.

Usually we like your common sense approach.

it would be preferable the roadies get over themselves and unbunch in more ways than one, then no need for unnecessary pills to bypass the irritations taking up the road. Attitudes like kosmo's undermines mutual respect on the road, because each side tells the other to take a chill pill. just flipping awesome. i guess when a cyclist jumps a red robot despite there being traffic around to trigger a normal light change, the traffic officer and everyone else must also take a chillpill.

well well, time to invest in chillpills.

Cyclists.

It's pretty much all of them on the road.

Not mtb or road guys. All of them.

I assume the guys on bicycles who break the law also do when they are in their cars. I mean you are showing us your behaviour, so why would you change when behind the wheel?

Funny though that none of the incidents where a cyclist has been knocked over happened when they were crossing a red light..

Proof?

U summarizing using all cyclist in one category right here. Trust me we down the coast ride within the rules as we know how these drivers are. BUT u cannot justify Wat u are saying someone has been killed. Due to a incompetent driver. We don't have 2 or 3 lanes to ride we have a yellow line and sometimes not even that. All we ask us for a bit more competence from drivers. The few you met need to be named as a club or however u can name and shame them don't go assuming we all the same . This is a terrible post don't accept this at all

Which coast?

The one's I have been to are filled with waterlogged cyclists,drivers and pedestrians who display scant respect for the rules of the road.

Why should you be different?

I agree that jumping the red robot is a big no-no, however whats the problem with having your service vehicle behind you? Just another slow driver like any in traffic... sounds to me like a lot of people pointing fingers at the moment.... general consideration for fellow traffic users is what is needed. Obey the law, and wait a few seconds. Its not a race for bicycles or cars?

Have been astounded this weekend. Sea Point and surrounds is full of tourists and locals still on holiday, and the roads have been extremely busy. Despite this most cycling groups still riding at least 2 abreast. Yesterday (just past Mouille Point lighthouse) watched one group try and catch the group ahead of them and at one time riding 3 abreast taking up the whole inside lane with cars queing behind them. This group were all competent cyclists so they should all have clearly known better. I could see some cars gesturing at them and they were literally giving them the middle finger. Things will not improve if this is the way people behave.