Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

You just need rubber soled shoes and to drop your heels.

It helps if you know how to ride with flats and not rely on the clippies to keep your feet on the pedals.

Ya but no.. haha Hanging on for dear life is one thing but In all fairness, Its not Ideal. 

I need new pedals, however I suspect, as you said, my shoes might be the biggest problem. (hard plastic soles)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya but no.. haha Hanging on for dear life is one thing but In all fairness, Its not Ideal. 

I need new pedals, however I suspect, as you said, my shoes might be the biggest problem. (hard plastic soles)

Indeed they are. Those things have anti-grip. 

You just need rubber soled shoes and to drop your heels.

It helps if you know how to ride with flats and not rely on the clippies to keep your feet on the pedals.

Still pretty treacherous, especially if it's a bit damp out. And you need a shoe that has some flex, or it feels like you're standing on an M520/540.

Thanks for all the replies guys. 

Some good points made here. I see even the Shimano saints' pins don't come close to the shoes' sole. I see the Mallet DH's scores with most tests, however, I could never come to grips with Crank bros system. Didn't like the vague float area between being clipped and clipped. But I think Moving away from typical XC shoes might be half the battle won. Those soles are nylon. Not made to grip on anything. They kill your feet walking in Enduro's anyway, so I definitely need some. 

As far as pedals goes.. The concept of clips with a cage is a bit of a paradox I guess. If the pins came in contact with the sole before you're clipped, It will hinder the clipping action, If the clip was proud of the cage, it favors the clip but isn't Ideal for the flat pedal part. However, I'm pretty sure it will be a good departure from my current setup. 

Some Pedal options on CRC..

Pity I didst have the time to go shopping in the UK, I was there last week but had zero spare time and got my hotel confirmation so late I couldn't even have stuff delivered to the hotel. 

What am I in for for Shoes in SA? 

Here's come CRC options around R700 bucks. 

The difference being the SPD clip on the Fire eye (TOP) has a fixed clip part while the Funn pedal at the bottom has a rotating spring, so the lead edge of the clip stands more proud. comments?

post-1279-0-60162400-1548748862_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-47584800-1548748872_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-78578000-1548748878_thumb.jpg

Ag wat is 'n bietjie yskaats nou tussen vriende?

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday I noticed these  in the recent SS 2019 Fox MTB clothing release vid. Fox playing coy with me by saying it's 'maybe something new'. Not even Vital or PB noticed it until i pointed it out. #first #onlycountsifyouactuallypostedacomment  :P

post-6789-0-82973200-1549711679_thumb.jpg

post-6789-0-98137600-1549711697_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

p5pb16879851.jpg

pb-small.png Have you ever wondered if your tires are staying at the set pressure through the day? Wonder no more

This is great, wonder what the pricing will be like

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SRAM has released an upgraded version of the Guide, SRAM G2. Apparently, the weight of guides with the stopping power of Codes. 

edit:not really the same power as codes, only 7% increase in power over current Guides. Codes are still top of the sram brake power pile.

Along with the new lever bodies, and calipers, SRAM is releasing a new brakepad compound: Power organic.

The new SRAM G2

The new SRAM G2 is a ground-up redesign, with new calipers, hoses and levers – there’s even a new pad compound. There will be two models in the lineup, the €190 SRAM G2 RSC and the €295 SRAM G2 Ultimate. The more affordable G2 RSC brake features the reach and contact point adjustment and Guide lever feel, combined with claimed Code power. The SRAM G2 Ultimates are the top-of-the-line option, with a carbon lever blade running on a pivot bearing, SRAM claim it’s their lightest four-piston brake.

What’s changed with the new G2?

Most importantly, SRAM claim a 7% increase in power over the outgoing Guides. This has been achieved by producing a stiffer caliper, with a narrower pocket and larger contact surfaces around the body bolts. SRAM claim that even though they’ve narrowed the pad pocket and removed the heat shield, their switch to phenolic pistons eliminates the need for additional cooling methods and the heat management of the new G2 is the same as the outgoing Guides. SRAM also claim to have improved the pad movement, so that the pad gap remains consistent as the pads wear, ensuring the lever feel and bite point consistent too. While the pad shape is the same, the new SRAM G2 brake pads have a new compound, named the Power Organic compound. Standard Organic and Metallic are also still an option and you can fit original Guide pads into the G2’s and vice versa.

SRAM-G2-Brakes-Bremse-Test-Review-9986-1

SRAM-G2-Brakes-Bremse-Test-Review-9952-1

Edited by Capricorn