Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an Ohlins STX22, which is air.

Aahh, I see

Thats an awesome unit

I assumed as I have only seen enduro's with yellow coils on them

http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/images/stx22_large.png

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Really? Your Giant Reign Advanced, as ridden by the world's best, has compromises everywhere?

Comes standard with snakeskin casing tyres, a bar with 5 deg back sweep, a fork that is vastly outperformed by an "out of date" "archaic" "piece of crap" fork from 2008, soft and heavy OEM wheels and so on.

There's quite a bit I could do to make it lighter, but that would come at the expense of performance and at quite a high Rand cost.

So yes. Compromises FOR ME.

You're kidding yourself if you think my RA1 is the same as Yoann Barelli's was when he was still riding it. And how Josh Carlsons was.

Oh. And I don't have 16k to drop on a new fork to replace the old pike. But I did have a marzo that I KNEW performed brilliantly and the sale of the pike and stock wheels paid for a towbar and a new set of wide rims, which have a discernable improvement on the ride. If the marzo was a failure, that would have been acceptable. I was prepared for the disappointment. It blew the pike out the water. Completely. The weight penalty was and remains immaterial.

I'm also not prepared to spend oodles of cash on a part that has no functional benefit over an existing one, other than a weight saving.

As an aside... You're still upset that some people's priorities and decision making criteria aren't the same as yours?

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Dude, your Pike must have been seriously crap for a 66 to blow it out of the water. #justsaying

Comes standard with snakeskin casing tyres, a bar with 5 deg back sweep, a fork that is vastly outperformed by an "out of date" "archaic" "piece of crap" fork from 2008, soft and heavy OEM wheels and so on.

There's quite a bit I could do to make it lighter, but that would come at the expense of performance and at quite a high Rand cost.

So yes. Compromises FOR ME.

You're kidding yourself if you think my RA1 is the same as Yoann Barelli's was when he was still riding it. And how Josh Carlsons was.

Oh. And I don't have 16k to drop on a new fork to replace the old pike. But I did have a marzo that I KNEW performed brilliantly and the sale of the pike and stock wheels paid for a towbar and a new set of wide rims, which have a discernable improvement on the ride. If the marzo was a failure, that would have been acceptable. I was prepared for the disappointment. It blew the pike out the water. Completely. The weight penalty was and remains immaterial.

I'm also not prepared to spend oodles of cash on a part that has no functional benefit over an existing one, other than a weight saving.

As an aside... You're still upset that some people's priorities and decision making criteria aren't the same as yours?

Dude, your Pike must have been seriously crap for a 66 to blow it out of the water. #justsaying

It's pretty much the same as how a luftkappe assembly makes the pike so much better and "lyrik like" due to the larger negative air chamber.

And no, it was fine. The 66 is just that much better. It's a coil. It just works.

Maybe it's because I had the RC dual position version, and I just couldn't get it set up to my liking without it either being choppy on the small bumps or just blowing through the travel. I'm a heavy bastard so I needed quite a bit of pressure for it, but it just never felt as good as the 66. My mates normal RC was the same, until he put the luftkappe piston assembly in.

Now his opinion is that his fork "feels like the marzo" and it's a different fork entirely.

Would I have felt the same if it were an RCT3 I was replacing? I don't know. But I didn't have the extra 16k floating around to check that, or to buy a lyrik. I did have the marzo. And bloody hell, if I'm not glad I did it!! I suppose I could have bought the RCT3 assembly and put it in, but then I wouldn't have the towbar or new wheels.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

How do you figure I'm upset? Can I not query the wisdom of your publicly pronounced choices? This is surely a forum of discussion? Or may we only applaude and agree here?

Quite the bunch of ja-broers here.

why does it always have to be an extreme?

The pike has IMO, not the best midstroke support. The typical 'solution' is more air pressure, but that's not the real solution. Even RS has acknowledged this with the 2018 line of Pikes and Lyriks: better mid stroke support for 'heavier' or 'faster riders'. So if you are not feeling this lack of midstroke support, you are either not heavy enough, or not fast enough ;)

The marzo 66 had superb mid-stroke support. That fork was ridiculously good. heavy by today's 'standards',but the damping was better.

Edited by Capricorn

How do you figure I'm upset? Can I not query the wisdom of your publicly pronounced choices? This is surely a forum of discussion? Or may we only applaude and agree here?

Quite the bunch of ja-broers here.

Ja cool. Just seems that you can't accept that the marzo is better than the pike for my purposes. Superior damping, stiffer chassis and a more sensitive beginning stroke. It's also more adjustable, if you have the right weight spring.

To get it to the same performance as the 66 whilst also upgrading my wheels and getting the towbar would have cost at the minimum 14k which I didn't have.

Luftkappe

New air spring (RC dual position can't take the luftkappe)

New wheels

The towbar

Instead, I just sold the pike and stock wheels.

Plus. As I said before. I couldn't be happier. It pedals well. It descends bloody brilliantly. The only limiting factor is the Muppet piloting the thing.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Ja cool. Just seems that you can't accept that the marzo is better than the pike for my purposes. Superior damping, stiffer chassis and a more sensitive beginning stroke. It's also more adjustable, if you have the right weight spring.

To get it to the same performance as the 66 whilst also upgrading my wheels and getting the towbar would have cost at the minimum 14k which I didn't have.

Luftkappe

New air spring (RC dual position can't take the luftkappe)

New wheels

The towbar

Instead, I just sold the pike and stock wheels.

Plus. As I said before. I couldn't be happier. It pedals well. It descends bloody brilliantly. The only limiting factor is the Muppet piloting the thing.

Thats value for money right there

I must be too slow or too light because the only time my Pike felt too soft was when the air pressure was below that recommended for my weight. I don't expect uber plushness and prefer a firmer fork that rarely uses all of its travel. It never feels uncontrolled or out of its depth and at 1.8kg or so, knocks the socks off a coil fork when its time to ride up hills. In fact I have ridden 3 day stage races on my big bike. Stick that in your 66 and smoke it ;-)