The Burry case: Dropping and reinstating of charges

TimW

Dries Liebenberg@DriesLiebenberg1h

Taxi driver in Burry Stander case overtook traffic on solid line, missed turn to side-street at time of crash - witness #sabcnews

Dries Liebenberg@DriesLiebenberg3m

Taxi driver showed no concern for critically injured Burry Stander after crash, Port Shepstone court told #sabcnews

If any of these ring true then I am happy to join in and say we seek justice.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Court in session

http://www.ecr.co.za/post/burry-stander-trial-postponed-to-july/

Dries Liebenberg @DriesLiebenberg · 58m

#BurryStander and taxi driver would have had clear view of each other from 50 metres away - expert #sabcnews

Dries Liebenberg @DriesLiebenberg · 59m

#BurryStander could have been 12 metres from taxi when vehicle turned in front of him, court hears #sabcnews

Dries Liebenberg @DriesLiebenberg · 2h

#BurryStander was not pedalling hard when he collided with a taxi, expert tells court #sabcnews

Dries Liebenberg @DriesLiebenberg · 3h

#BurryStander: expert in accident reconstruction takes the stand #sabcnews

Dries Liebenberg @DriesLiebenberg · 4h

#BurryStander trial resumes after 8 months. Taxi driver accused of culpable homicide, reckless driving #sabcnews

I was just wondering - if this was a trial by jury, as they do in the States (United, not Free) - what do you think the verdict would be? With the awesome reputation us cyclists have ... scary scary thought.

I was just wondering - if this was a trial by jury, as they do in the States (United, not Free) - what do you think the verdict would be? With the awesome reputation us cyclists have ... scary scary thought.

Nothing because the Jury members are required to set emotions aside and just look at the facts. In this case it was an individual riding the correct line and not in the middle of the road. Your thinking can come into play if the taxi crashed into a bunch of cyclists and the defense brings up the behavior of cyclists for defending his clients action.

Compared to the even more awesome reputation of taxis?!

Compared to the even more awesome reputation of taxis?!

I think, of course IMNSHO, that cyclists have a worse reputation than taxis. When a taxi misbehaves, everyone goes "Oh whatever" but if a cyclist does it - all hell breaks loose.

@BicycleSafetySA

The matter was postponed on Friday until September #BurryStander

@ECR_Newswatch The family of cyclist Burry Stander says it has been an emotional roller coaster since the trial began: http://www.ecr.co.za/post/stander-trial-emotional-roller-coaster-mom/

SA Agst DrunkDriving @SADD_SA

#BurryStander Need educatn drive for taxis/drivers abt seeing cyclists as vehicles @TrafficRTMC @JPSAorg @Abramjee

whichgatenext @duppie4x

@SADD_SA @JPSAorg @TrafficRTMC @Abramjee This part of overall road lawlessness. Educt alone wont solve. Strict enforcement more NB.

@BicycleSafetySA

The matter was postponed on Friday until September #BurryStander

@ECR_Newswatch The family of cyclist Burry Stander says it has been an emotional roller coaster since the trial began: http://www.ecr.co.za...er-coaster-mom/

SA Agst DrunkDriving @SADD_SA

#BurryStander Need educatn drive for taxis/drivers abt seeing cyclists as vehicles @TrafficRTMC @JPSAorg @Abramjee

whichgatenext @duppie4x

@SADD_SA @JPSAorg @TrafficRTMC @Abramjee This part of overall road lawlessness. Educt alone wont solve. Strict enforcement more NB.

Hmm....

Thanks for the updates Nathrix, we should not forget

• 1 month later...

Dries Liebenberg @DriesLiebenberg

Taxi driver's trial over road death of Olympic cyclist #Burry Stander set to resume in Port Shepstone court #sabcnews

TreadMTBmag @TreadMTBmag

The Burry Stander trial resumes today. Here's a reminder of why it matters... #iride4burry

BxJBD8ICQAAxDvL.jpg