Article in latest Ride Magazine pg 74

mikethebike234

Latest ride magazine page 74 Shimano m520 spd pedals

They state and I quote "Contradictory as it may sound riding clipped in is safer than with flat (non clipped pedals." How can they state something so blatantly untrue, a bald faced outright lie. Are they being paid by the manufacturers or something. I'm sorry in my opinion there is no way that that statement holds true. Bear in mind that the article is aimed at those are going to try mountain biking for the first time. The general consensus has been get used to riding with flats first then move to clips ..personally I enjoy my riding so much more with flats I will probably never move to clips or spds or whatever the hell everyone else is supposedly using because its the done thing. To put a person off riding flats outright like that is just wrong ......Right now where is my flame suit ...ah there in the cupboard let me just get it on.... :ph34r:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro...that statement "Contradictory as it may sound riding clipped in is safer than with flat (non clipped pedals."

its very true

try it.

i recently took my 14yrs old daughter on her brand new dual sus out on some single track. with takkies on at first.

then with spd's and the shoes.

she felt much more secure and confident with the spd....

mountain biking is not for everyone

Ride with tekkies and flat pedals and see what happens when your wet shoe slips off the pedal whilst climbing a hill out of the river.

maybe you were destined to fall anyway only now you are attached so now you have to detach yourself before you drown in said river......

maybe you were destined to fall anyway only now you are attached so now you have to detach yourself before you drown in said river......

hahahahah ya..why the panic? sometime or later you are going to fall in the water

look on the bright side of things, if you fall, atleast you are asured that if clipped in your bike wont float down the river. lol

Each to his/her own I'd say... for me personally I rode flat pedals that came with my bike and Nike running shoes for the 1st 3 months and then moved to SPD's and proper Mtb shoes once I had a bit of a feel for the bike and how to handle things a bit better? Although I still get a bit sketchy through certain tech and tight sections I would NEVER go back to flats for the positives to my climbing alone?

Surely there is a big difference to power output with pull/push (clipped) vs push/push (non clipped)????

Oh and I haven't seen any serious road riders riding without clips for a while :whistling:

There's a difference between riding with the pedals that come with the bike and tekkies and proper flat pedals and/or specific shoes for MTB.

Between the former and cleats, cleats win. Between the latter and cleats it's a toss up. There's a reason why MANY(majority?) DH guys ride with flats, and it's not just because of wanting the option to bail out.

Went on a nice wet, muddy ride with my flats yesterday and had no problems with grip etc.

There's a difference between riding with the pedals that come with the bike and tekkies and proper flat pedals and/or specific shoes for MTB.

what i was about to say...although i am confident and happy in my cleats.....yet I have never ridden with flats so I cant really argue either for or against the merits...and i think there are only a handful of people who actually have...that could offer proper insight into this discussion

Have a look at the Flat Pedal Manifesto, to explain abit about power vs these two

http://www.bikejames...th-flat-pedals/

+1. I started riding clipped in, cos "that's the way things are done". I'm still riding clipped in. A pair of 5-10's + flats is high up on my "to purchase" list, and keen to do a bit of unclipped riding. I quote that article when introducing new people to riding now: "Riding flat pedals makes you better. Riding clipped in makes you faster" or something to that effect.

Everybody do what you want...I'm not going to tell anyone how/what to use/ride their bike.. what I was trying to say is that they shouldn't just write off flats outright ..... just like I shouldn't write off spds or what ever outright .. there are 2 sides to the debate. It is one of my faviroute debates however..... now what we really need is inflatable pods for when you fall in the river attached to your bike.... :thumbup: