Will you buy a second hand bike ?

eddy

Over the last 5 years I have bought everything from frames downwards and I have built up three bikes all from parts bought on the hub. My advice to people starting off is to determine their proper size and buy second hand on the hub.

But this has had me thinking: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/56691-bora-ultra-campagnolo-tubbies/page__st__20#commentsStart

Here is a well meaning albeit naive person getting taken in by counterfeit goods. Yesterday, i rode past someone on a Pinarello and instead of thinking "nice bike" i thought "wonder if it is a fake?".

I see a lot of branded carbon wheels, frames and bikes in the classifieds. How does someone buy with confidence when counterfeiting is now so easy ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you got to be really naive to spend 43k on a bike and not be able to identify if it is a fake or not....that...or you have more money than sense

I've bought a few things from other hubbers. A crank here, seat post there. But I will not buy an entire bike second hand. The problem comes in with the manufacturers guarantee for me. I'd rather buy new and have the peace of mind that if something happens, I will not have trouble with the manufacturer.

I bought a second hand carbon bike more than a year ago and i haven't had a days worth of trouble with it. Ok i don't have the manufactures guarantee but i do have insurance for the bike. I will a second hand bike again and again and again. there is nothing wrong with it.

I would definitely buy a second hand bike, just not one thats 6 months old...

Are you referring to bikes that get advertised for 6 months as 6 month old bicycles?

I've bought 3 bikes so far, all of them 2nd hand, 2 of them "new" 2nd hand ;)

You have to know your prices and you have to check out the bike thoroughly.

If you pick up a very good deal, in my opinion : it's worth the gamble to loose your manufacturer's guarantee.

you got to be really naive to spend 43k on a bike and not be able to identify if it is a fake or not....that...or you have more money than sense

there are as always 2 ways of looking i collect watches, and i "think" i know my ****, went to SA biggest ROLEX,BREITLING second hand broker who is considered SA BEST(no i am not going to name and shame), he sold me a breitling i been waiting for for a looong time,papers, boxes, he was happy i was happier,,long story short took it to ARTHUr KAPLAN turns out it is a exception fake, lots of the parts are are original, so i am not saying i know everything about watches, but SOME FAKES ARE NOT ALL CREATED EQUAL

Are you referring to bikes that get advertised for 6 months as 6 month old bicycles?

DO TELL MORE

Some of these fakes are so close to the original. You cannot expect everybody to know every finer detail.

Yes, I have bought two bikes and plenty of components on the hub and I will continue to do so. Every deal has gone relativly well. Only issue was carbon brakes that I bought. When I compressed the one lever it broke clean off. Had been superglued in order to get a sucker to buy the brakes. I had it repaired proffesionally and the are lasting well.

I trust my fellow hubbers when I do a deal on the hub and with a touch of negotiation one can do very good deals.

I feel for the guy that bought that Chinarello fake.

As for the old bikes as new, that Bergy oke needs to start catching a wake-up or grab a packet of ethics.

I feel for the guy that bought that Chinarello fake.

As for the old bikes as new, that Bergy oke needs to start catching a wake-up or grab a packet of ethics.

Shame! Did he think it was the real deal and it turned out to be a Chinarello?