Argus 2014

vaalkol

I must say when I crested suikerbossie and looked down at my Garmin and it said 2:29 I could not believe it!

If you check on strava the stretch from Smits to top of suikerbosie was fast, beat my last years 3:01 time by 11 minutes

the power of the South Easter, when its behind you

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After using a little guess work, and seeing as they were rather close to the line as Cherise crossed the line. I would add 4 minutes to Cherise time and then look for the Tandem that finished after that.

The pair came 307th according to my sherlock holmes deductions. Unless you are racing for a title or money stay out the way in my opinion. I got to the finish straight and sat up as was just happy that got my sub 3.

There were 2 tandems in that bunch. One just to the left of the screen, so they were probably racing for position between themselves

There were 2 tandems in that bunch. One just to the left of the screen, so they were probably racing for position between themselves

Then my detective work is incorrect, I did not see the incident but would assume you would then have one tandem then the other cross the line a little bit later.

Then my detective work is incorrect, I did not see the incident but would assume you would then have one tandem then the other cross the line a little bit later.

Yeah. I'm 95% sure there was another tandem there just to the left of the screen. If not then I need to check my eyes

Yeah. I'm 95% sure there was another tandem there just to the left of the screen. If not then I need to check my eyes

Def 2 Tandems, watched it live, and last nites rerun!

The racing tandems started 4 minutes before VA, VB, VM + Elite ladies. The two tandems in the final sprint were competing for 3rd place:

Germishuis, Gerhard 2:54:51 249/31046 3/107 Male Tdm

Joseph, Dylan 2:54:51 249/31046 3/107 Male Tdm

King, Chris 2:54:51 250/31046 4/107 Male Tdm

Böhm, Benno 2:54:51 250/31046 4/107 Male Tdm

There will always be a problem when you have 4 or 5 categories (VA, VB, VM, Ladies, A, Tandems) sprinting at the same time for different podium places.

Yes, but you can see the tandem drifting towards the single rider. That is just uncalled for.

Edited by Moridin

After taking 1:40 to do the first 6 km's due to some technical issues it was a hard ride after that. My group was long gone and I was left trying to pick up the pieces with the unseeded at the tail end. With the knowledge of a social ride ahead I found myself yo-yo'ing from bunch to bunch all way from Eastern Boulevard to Suikerbossie. It was not that fun doing those gusty windy patches alone! Awesome ride as always though. The brilliant organisation once again highlights the downfalls in so many other events.

I had a similar experience at 94.7 - my first mass participation event EVER. Had a puncture and blow out early on in the race and ended up losing over and hour. when I got going again I was riding with the back markers. Due to my lack of experience any form of bunch riding would not have benefited me in any way and I would most likely have caused some serious problems if I had stuck to any bunch. I rode a terrible time on the day however taking it easy and having the time to take in the whole route made it a very enjoyable day out.

Agreed - I don't know if the idea was to keep the baboons away - but if it was it certainly worked.

Was the first Argus for years that I haven't seen any running into the road to scoop up discarded "Gu" wrappers.

Maybe they were all hiding from the wind somewhere ????

Park rangers where out patrolling with paint ball guns...saw them shepherding a big male away from the road at Smitswinkel

BTW, this year was the first time that I saw Suikerbossie not utterly littered with paper like previous races. Thank you frontrunners for not spoiling it for us. It is not nice cycling through a rubbish dump, and doing it slowly.

:eek:

That's not some technical issues ... it's a message to turn around and go home. LOL

I called my wife informing her that is exactly what I planned to do ... however I also mentioned in the same conversation that I would be in a foul mood for a while to come ... :cursing: ... I think her mental wishes at the time materialized into my bike repair ... :whistling:

BR 2:59:59 485/31046 M 455/24262 $ 142/158 M Elite 93/2168 36.34

Congrats to that man for the last of the sub 3 makers. Only 485 this year? Faceted shows group C as the last sub3 group????

485 would certainly reflect conditions

Shame - Bernie Stopforth missed it by 0.0000000000000001 seconds.

Seems like somebody in F also made the sub-3h:

J Viles 2:59:27 462/31046 M 432/24262 F 1/515 M 30-34 57/2477 36.44

Edited by FrankTank

BR 2:59:59 485/31046 M 455/24262 $ 142/158 M Elite 93/2168 36.34

Congrats to that man for the last of the sub 3 makers. Only 485 this year? Faceted shows group C as the last sub3 group????

485 would certainly reflect conditions

1 sub 3 from F:

Viles, James 2:59:27 462/31046 M 432/24262 F 1/515 M 30-34 57/2477 36.44