Argus 2014

vaalkol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting in B.. looking to smash a lekker break-away to avoid any possible group joining. who is in?

Every Tom Dick and Harry will be keen on the day

Do you guys know what I CANNOT wait for?

All the posts after the Argus that say "Broke four hours on my 29er with knobblies. Whoohoo!!!"

A little off topic but I think they should ban any MTB for the DC and first 15 start groups in Argus, or charge them double. This is due to them using broom sticks instead of handle bars.

If they want to prove they are really awesome, get a road bike let all the air out and ride with same rolling resistance as knoblies.

Grinds my gears

I'm starting in B.. looking to smash a lekker break-away to avoid any possible group joining. who is in?

Every Tom Dick and Harry will be keen on the day

If you break away from B then you will probably catch A / VB / VA / % as all of them start one minute earlier than B lol.

Are you then going to attempt another break-away?

The only reason you start a road race with a MTB with knobblies is so that you can ride in your comfort sone all the time. You start with a readymade excuse. Never hear anybody say - I got nailed by 7000 guys on road bikes. If you want to play the game - get the gear. Yeah I do many MTB races a year - none of them on a road bike. If it is because you want to participate and have only one bike - no problem. Just dont make an ass of yourself by slating the guys for whom it is important in their own way.

All the posts after the Argus that say "Broke four hours on my 29er with knobblies. Whoohoo!!!"

Oh FFS you just ruined my day making me think of this and now Im in rant mode.

I have a theory that people go and do road races on MTBs JUST so that they have an excuse not to be compared to times of roadies. They would rather say "I did a 3:25 on my MTB with knobblies" and think they are special than do it on their roadbikes in 3:15 and just be an slightly above average rider....... well well, who cares. Lots of my road PRs have been set on my MTB....

or

"I passed several roadies on their 100k bikes with my MTB" really, well good for you, but tell us how many roadies passed you in return.

Where do you draw the line? "I did a 2h58 without chamois cream!!" or "I came 3rd in B with a BMI of 21%", everybody has an excuse, its just that real cyclists dont use them to justify bad results.

Want to impress with using the wrong bike for the wrong race? Go do the Epic on a Venge! I will listen to that story!

Oh FFS you just ruined my day making me think of this and now Im in rant mode.

I have a theory that people go and do road races on MTBs JUST so that they have an excuse not to be compared to times of roadies. They would rather say "I did a 3:25 on my MTB with knobblies" and think they are special than do it on their roadbikes in 3:15 and just be an slightly above average rider....... well well, who cares. Lots of my road PRs have been set on my MTB....

or

"I passed several roadies on their 100k bikes with my MTB" really, well good for you, but tell us how many roadies passed you in return.

Where do you draw the line? "I did a 2h58 without chamois cream!!" or "I came 3rd in B with a BMI of 21%", everybody has an excuse, its just that real cyclists dont use them to justify bad results.

Want to impress with using the wrong bike for the wrong race? Go do the Epic on a Venge! I will listen to that story!

+1

PS: If you sponsor the Venge and entry fee for the Epic, I'll give it a try. ;)

i only have a MTB with knobblies... im still trying to save monies to buy a road bike... i apologize to all you road bike riders that this pisses off... i promise not to tell you how well i did or didnt do...

Thats not the issue, Its saying, I did xx time USING A MOUNTAIN bike. One should not have to qualify a race time with the equipment used.

Another one topping the list is....the week before Argus everyone get's the flu.

In case you ride a k@k time you have an excuse.

Another one topping the list is....the week before Argus everyone get's the flu.

In case you ride a k@k time you have an excuse.

And there goes my excuse!! :whistling:

i only have a MTB with knobblies... im still trying to save monies to buy a road bike...

I don't have issues with the dirt boys coming to play on the black top. Just enjoy the experience by buying a set of slicks! they cost feck all, don't whir the whole way around and makes riding heaps, heaps easier.

Where do you draw the line? "I did a 2h58 without chamois cream!!"

Never use chamois cream. My shorts are modern and have a pad that Assos keep telling me is the most advanced ever. When my shorts have a gnarled bit of leather designed to turn you into a eunuch then I'll slap it on.

Also, did a sub 3:30 with out gloves on. there were 25668 glove riders who i dominated and finished behind me!

Edit: made it sound less like a sex act.

Edited by hellocolour

A little off topic but I think they should ban any MTB for the DC and first 15 start groups in Argus, or charge them double. This is due to them using broom sticks instead of handle bars.

If they want to prove they are really awesome, get a road bike let all the air out and ride with same rolling resistance as knoblies.

Grinds my gears

I agree with this, same for tri-bars.