27.5 inch Wheel - Advantages

Gringo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. So from the review the 26'' wheel has the least weight, best acceleration, least flex (in frame and wheel) where the 29er takes rollover and traction and the 27.5'' is just the compromise between the two. Yet everyone goes for the more expensive 29er these days.

I do however think that our type of terrain here in SA makes the 29er the "better choice".

I love my 26er though.

I do however think that our type of terrain here in SA makes the 29er the "better choice".

I love my 26er though.

Negative. Our obsession with anything "marathon" makes the 29er the "better choice"

Take out the obsession, and wheel size becomes irrelevant. In fact, if people understood geometry better, they'd realise that the biggest factors are Head Tube angle, chainstay length and BB height / drop. Not wheel size.

Negative. Our obsession with anything "marathon" makes the 29er the "better choice"

Take out the obsession, and wheel size becomes irrelevant. In fact, if people understood geometry better, they'd realise that the biggest factors are Head Tube angle, chainstay length and BB height / drop. Not wheel size.

True. And I am quite guilty in that area as well because I dont know much about bike geometry and how it affects my riding.

Regarding geometry, I just get on the bike and if its comfortable its sold.

Will it be an advantage if the new Elite XC world champion rides with 27.5

No. Because his skill level is such that it makes buggerall difference what wheel size he rides. HT angle, wheelbase, top tube length, BB height, chainstay length and so on are FAR more contributory to the overall handling experience than an extra 3" overall diameter on the wheels (when niner tyres are so skinny, especially - my sixer's wheels are almost as big as a niner's with din bane)

Will it be an advantage if the new Elite XC world champion rides with 27.5

nino's tyres are so narrow, I'd like to see his wheels next top a 26" wheel with a real world 2.1" or 2.2" tyre

True. And I am quite guilty in that area as well because I dont know much about bike geometry and how it affects my riding.

Regarding geometry, I just get on the bike and if its comfortable its sold.

yeah, look - the wheel size DOES affect rollover. But not to the degree that all the "BS Science" claims it does. Take the "extra speed" for example. To get the same speed on a sixer as you would on a niner, change the gearing on the sixer. Simple.

To blame the lack of speed on a wheel size difference (when the WC was won on a 27.5, NOT a 29) is ignoring the lack of skill / power / control that the rider has compared to another rider.

Interesting fact #532

About 95% of the bikes on the start line at Masters XCO World Champs were 29ers.

Strange because I thought 29er was only king in SA. It seems serious XCO racers the world over are going the 29er route.

Interesting fact #532

About 95% of the bikes on the start line at Masters XCO World Champs were 29ers.

Strange because I thought 29er was only king in SA. It seems serious XCO racers the world over are going the 29er route.

Must be because it was held here in SA :ph34r:

Well done Eldron - waiting to read your report.

Interesting fact #532

Yeah. I know.

But a lot has to be said for marketing BS and our ability to swallow it all. And yes, in conjunction with good geometry, a niner will make a difference to the average joe by enabling that extra bit of rollover and "speed" over the flat sections. But to the pros? I dunno so much. Their power and skill is so equal and at the top of the echelon that the differences are made over the technical sections, not the extra 2% that it gives you on the flats.

Marathon - sure. 29er is KING there, and rightly so. There, endurance is key and that extra rollover efficiency adds up over the kilometres.