Assaulted rider on the Spruit

Paulst12

Agree. People always bash road bike riders for their attitudes and yet i'm hearing more and more often about how unfriendly and aggressive mtb riders have become. Maybe its because the roadies are becoming mounties, but either way its pretty pathetic when it gets to a point of putting someone in hospital over who has right of way on a trail?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys on bikes getting attacked by thieves, now guys on bikes attacking guys on bikes *sigh* how low is it going to get?

So much anger

Never rode at the spruit but this looks like it happened on a bridge.

What happened to the person that is first on the bridge has right of way and other riders wait until he/she has crossed before entering the bridge. Or are the bridges on the spruit wide enough for two riders to pass each other?

Never rode at the spruit but this looks like it happened on a bridge.

What happened to the person that is first on the bridge has right of way and other riders wait until he/she has crossed before entering the bridge. Or are the bridges on the spruit wide enough for two riders to pass each other?

Nope none of the bridges are. Which normally is fine in any society with common decency, unfortunately with more people using the Spruit theres more common than decency.

I don't know what Spruit you okes ride on... My happy place is full of laughs, the chirps of birds and the odd tinkle of a bicycle bell! Sure you get the odd ass trying to set a land speed record on the least technical track on planet earth, but if you let those okes ruin your ride, then you are doing it wrong ;)

Nope none of the bridges are. Which normally is fine in any society with common decency, unfortunately with more people using the Spruit theres more common than decency.

Trolls, apparently, hang out under/on or near bridges....

I agree that there is definitely a new "breed" of mountain bikers out there. I have been a roadie for 16 years. About 4 years ago I did a couple of mountain events and found that most of the mountain bikers were a very friendly laid back bunch. Due to a back problem I had to stop mountain biking and started road cycling again. Now I find that there is little less roadies on the road and more mountain bikers with an attitude on the road. Maybe most of the "posers" from the roadie side changed to mountain biking?

You go mtb'ing to get away from the daily routine that is actually a rat race these days, hoping to share this passion with good, sensible and unselfish people and then **** like this happens.

We rode in a huge group on Sunday Approx 20 riders, from the dam to fourways and then back. I havn't done spruit in months, and found everyone we passed as oncoming traffic very polite. Everytime we passed we just kept left, and I think if everyone rides with this rule, then there shouldn't be issues.

But you will always get 1.

Wow, a thread about a supposed unconfirmed assault and we proceed to assault each other irrespective of whether it happened or not and vent our spleens about road/mountain bike/Lycra/new breed bikers and all that cr@p.

Has anyone ever mentioned that the ride you have will be determined by the way you approach it and the attitude you go in with. The spruit is a great ride and can be tons of fun with lost of friendly people on it. I reckon it is without doubt the most ridden route in SA and has been the start of MTBing for many people here. I have ridden it as my first ride on an MTB when I was sh*tting to bunny hop kerbs.

So lets stick to the facts about what did or didn't happen and keep the black stuff down and be aware of others that may not have our level of skills.