Tubeless options

El Scorcho

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just shake my head and say OK ........ :whistling:

errrm, i've converted non UST rims into tubeless using non-UST/non-TLR tyres. No rim strips, just rim tape to seal up the spoke holes.

I have yet to burp them.

so i have to shake my head and say ok ...... :whistling:

hahaha ignore the friendly chirps. But seems our experiences are quite a bit different Mr X.

Edited by Capricorn

We have all done that, the argument is that you cannot convert "tubeless ready rims" without rim strips/rim tape. You need proper tubeliss rims to convert without rim strips/rim tape. These rims do not have spoke holes on the inside - between the rim and tyre, the spoke holes are between the rim and the hub - if that makes sense. The area between the rims and the tyre is solid - hence no rim strip/tape needed.

We have all done that, the argument is that you cannot convert "tubeless ready rims" without rim strips/rim tape. You need proper tubeliss rims to convert without rim strips/rim tape. These rims do not have spoke holes on the inside - between the rim and tyre, the spoke holes are between the rim and the hub - if that makes sense. The area between the rims and the tyre is solid - hence no rim strip/tape needed.

I just shake my head and say OK ........ :whistling:

not following martin, as my experience is the exact opposite: you can convert any rim using any tyre, and often times, you only need sealant and rim tape.

and if you did have a TLR rim, all you need is rim tape, because the bead should be full tubeless compatible, same way a TLR tyre has a fully tubeless compatible bead, but not the rest of the tyre wall.

or did i just miss something fundamental here...

Tubeless ready rim: needs rim TAPE

Non-tubeless ready, non-UST rim: needs rim TAPE and rim STRIP

UST rim: needs no rim TAPE or rim STRIP

Martin is saying that some rims dont have spoke holes, only a valve hole which goes all the way from in to out. Thus the tire plus valve plus sealant is all you need to create tubeless...

Just do one or the other and ride your bike.

Ghetto or UST or 2bliss or whatever is going to be better than tubes so you're not going backwards.

Everyone is an expert. OP, My advice?

Get your LBS to install yellow tape for like 20 ZAR a tire, Buy a big bottle of Stans and a valve adaptor for the garage/compressor and hey presto, off we go in the right direction.

Should your tires delaminate or some such at least you tried and you got an extra ride or 2 out of them.... If not you saved yourself some money, go buy yourself an ice cream or some lego.

Edited by singlespeedGuy

2nd is not gospel in every situation. End of that story

2nd is not gospel in every situation. End of that story

Not gospel just a guideline. I have seen on more than one occasion non-UST/TR rims holding air fine but burps out on the trail where things get rough. This guideline does not have to be followed but be sure to test the setup properly on rough terrain. For me the best option is to put money down on proper tubeless ready wheels and tyres, UST is too heavy in 29er format and tubeless ready works great.

See those 2 black things with the valves on. These are rim strips and only needed for rims which are not tubeless ready. These need to be replaced every 6 months or so. It adds weight and cost.

http://fearless-selling.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

If you're replacing yours every 6 months, then you're doing it wrong.

Edited by niterider

Go to LBS with rims.

Ask what can be done, with pretty pictures and physical items placed in front of you.

Conversion was on tubeless ready Stans with Maxxis and tubeless ready "Tape" (apparently)

Stans sealant has worked for me

Cough up some bucks, say thank you and go home.

PS take a spare tube with you anyway cos a side wall tear F's you big time when you 20 km from help.

No need for the strips to be replaced.

Just don't use them. Buy a normal valve

Edited by King_Crispy

Crap.

Learn to back down when you are wrong.

All you need is rim tape, Stans sealant and a valve.

Finish and klaar.

One can use almost ANY tyre and ANY rim to do the conversion on.

Ok, so please help me out here:

I have a set of mavic cross ride wheels with Continental Mountain Kings tyres.

Can I go tubeless and with what setup?

Can I just tape the spoke holes, pop in a valve and slime and inflate?

Or would I need different tyres or perhaps a rubber strip between the rim and tyre (I've heard some people call this a rim strip) or totally new wheels?

What do the experts say?