SS vs Geared

Richard29

ok ive recently been riding my ss rigid for 2 months ive seen improvements in strength, choosing lines, handling and fitness

im finding im leaning more to the ss when I go ride I leave the geared behind....

what do you guys see as pros and cons on ss ?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Latent Blue

SS has gears... only one speed though...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/brows.gif

Edited by Latent Blue

Guest Latent Blue

noob question, what would be the near perfect SS gear combination for the mountainous cape?

HEHE

Hier kom dit

noob question, what would be the near perfect SS gear combination for the mountainous cape?

I use 34-18 on a 26er

Depends where and what size wheels.. On my 650b I turn 34/19 pretty much everywhere... But 32/19 is a golden ratio on a 29er here on the Cape. I ride it everywhere and hardly ever change it. Can drop to a 17 when I'm jusat in Tokai but Jonkers and the front of Table Mountain gets steep.

The OP... I ride my geared bike at Expedition Africa and at 1 or 2 adventure races through the year. Actual bike races and bike rides I haven't ridden geared for years... absolute years.

But it really depends on strength.

Short answer...... It depends.....

Long answer......The more you ride SS, the stronger you'll get, the harder gear you'll push......

Short answer...... It depends.....

Long answer......The more you ride SS, the stronger you'll get, the harder gear you'll push......

Your knees should just squeek a little bit :ph34r:

ok ive recently been riding my ss rigid for 2 months ive seen improvements in strength, choosing lines, handling and fitness

im finding im leaning more to the ss when I go ride I leave the geared behind....

what do you guys see as pros and cons on ss ?

Pro's: Stronger and faster legs, less maintenance / cost

Cons: The lack of gears on a SS

There's a simple test for those who currently own a mtb and are thinking of moving to a SS:

The next training ride that will involve some technical riding, climbing and descending, choose one gear option on your geared mtb and stay in that gear for the whole ride.

Count the number of times you have to stop yourself from selecting another gear.

If you don't think about it (changing up / down) or change gears, great carry on moving towards SS'ing