Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Some infomation is better than non I guess.

This leads me to believe that riding in the yellow line is illegal even though it is significantly safer for me.

Do I have the right to the entired lane or only 0.5m or so from the pavement?

Is it legal to ride on the pavement?

You have the right to ride where you feel safe, and any vehicle behind you is breaking the law if they pass you within 1m of your outmost extremity.

Here is the actual wording:

3. (1) A cyclist riding on a public road must—

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when

crossing the road; or

(b) if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride—

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

(2) When riding on a public road, a cyclist must—

(a) give conspicuous driving signals as contemplated in regulation 300 and Part II of Chapter X of the National Regulations; and

(b) stop in the circumstances contemplated in regulation 307 of the National Regulations.

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road—

(a) on the right-hand side of a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that motor vehicle or turning right at

an intersection;

(b) abreast of another cyclist proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that cyclist;

© while wearing a headset, headphones or any listening device other than a hearing aid; or

(d) while carrying another person on the pedal cycle, unless that pedal cycle is specifically equipped to carry more than one person.

(4) A cyclist must exercise due care while—

(a) passing a motor vehicle or turning right in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(a); or

(b) passing another cyclist in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(b).

20 November 2013 Province of the Western Cape: Provincial Gazette Extraordinary 7194 5

This incident has turned into a tit for tat situation, the van driver says....they yackity yack.... and the cyclists say......he yackity yack....

I wonder f the cyclist's involved especially the one using his bike / fists and the tjop with the pepper spray still feel proud of what they did in the heat of the moment?

Think most of us have been there in a situation where we over reacted in the heat of the moment and would have done things differently if given the chance again, hopefully this would be a lesson to those who have not yet been there, STOP, THINK and THINK AGAIN BEFORE you react....?

Any sign of van driver and cyclists singing kumbaya yet?

Its very likely that the van driver does not have the resources to obtain a decent lawyer.

MC2 cycling club is a club of means...

Its very likely that the van driver does not have the resources to obtain a decent lawyer.

CYCLING COMMUNITY RAISES FUNDS FOR DRIVER ATTACKED BY CYCLISTS TO RESTORE FAITH IN CYCLISTS

HAS A RING TO IT

Just another observation, assuming it was the passengers of the van that caused the fracas when pelting the cyclists with sachets and water, where were they when their buddy was taking a beating on their behalf? Hiding safely in the back of the van? (Although in hindsight that was probably a good thing because coming out and defending their buddy might have escalated the whole incident)

after reading the drivers side, I believe there is alot more to this. however I am not gonna speculate!!

As far as the rules/law as posted by carbon29er, well almost every cyclist out there breaks most of those rules on a daily basis! me included :wacko:

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I have it on good authority that legal fees will not be a problem he will have to face to get justice. The same goes for the vehicle owner.

Just floating this idea - so feel free to criticise.

1) Our sport, and cyclists in general, was dealt a severely negative blow by the actions of a tiny minority in Camps Bay on Sunday.

2) The Argus is just a few short days away - we need to win back the trust and respect of the general public, in particular motorists, before then.

3) This thread is seriously HOT, looks to me as though it will breach 50,000 views in a couple of hours.

4) The media are watching, this week isn't just about the Oscar Pistorius trial, this issue isn't going away anytime soon.

5) The Hub is the number one cycling forum in SA, so.....

How about conducting an online Poll ?

Could someone write a quick bit of code so that each of us get to vote on whether we condone or condemn the actions of those cyclists in Camps Bay on Sunday ?

If we speak with one voice, and follow through on this by being exceptionally vigilant, patient and considerate toward other road users in the days ahead, it seems to me as though we might stand an outside chance of turning this unfortunate incident around.

I remember a few years ago (I might be showing my age here) about a story involving a Rottweiler and a 6 year old child.

The 6 year old was mauled and killed by the Rottie, the world bayed for the Rottweilers head and he was put down as a danger to society.

It turns out the 6 year old had be squirting the Rottie with a water pistol and then hiding behind his dads legs while they braaied.

Basically, I think it carries across.... So the cyclists were squirted with water or had a sachet thrown at them. In all fairness, that is not a big deal. If they reacted with an errant middle finger and a few choice words so be it....

At this point, both parties should have just walked/ridden/driven away. But NO...

Much like the Rottie over reacting after being squirted with a water pistol, these cyclists did the same.... Are we baying for their heads? well, yes.... If the dog was put down with his behaviour deemed a hazard to society, surely it rings true for these folk?... If they exhibit no amount of restraint or control as well as no remorse, they are, IMHO, no better than animals

I am sure there were some choice words which would have been a contributing factor as well, but it is all hearsay.

I remember a few years ago (I might be showing my age here) about a story involving a Rottweiler and a 6 year old child.

The 6 year old was mauled and killed by the Rottie, the world bayed for the Rottweilers head and he was put down as a danger to society.

It turns out the 6 year old had be squirting the Rottie with a water pistol and then hiding behind his dads legs while they braaied.

Basically, I think it carries across.... So the cyclists were squirted with water or had a sachet thrown at them. In all fairness, that is not a big deal. If they reacted with an errant middle finger and a few choice words so be it....

At this point, both parties should have just walked/ridden/driven away. But NO...

Much like the Rottie over reacting after being squirted with a water pistol, these cyclists did the same.... Are we baying for their heads? well, yes.... If the dog was put down with his behaviour deemed a hazard to society, surely it rings true for these folk?... If they exhibit no amount of restraint or control as well as no remorse, they are, IMHO, no better than animals

Woof !

Just floating this idea - so feel free to criticise.

1) Our sport, and cyclists in general, was dealt a severely negative blow by the actions of a tiny minority in Camps Bay on Sunday.

2) The Argus is just a few short days away - we need to win back the trust and respect of the general public, in particular motorists, before then.

I kind of disagree, this is the nature of the social media beast. Huge outcry today, forgotten tomorrow, it's spot in the limelight taken by some new outrage.

What this incident did highlight again for me is the underlying resentment felt by motorists towards cyclists

Agree with your last sentence though "by being exceptionally vigilant, patient and considerate toward other road users in the days ahead" - as cyclists we really need to work on how we are perceived by other road users, we are often not doing ourselves any favours.

I am sure there were some choice words which would have been a contributing factor as well, but it is all hearsay.

If I belted everybody who called me a rude name with a bicycle I would have some pretty hefty repair bills. Also some pretty serious lawyers' bills.

Wait, I ride a 14kg trail bike. Just the lawyers' bills then.

Sticks and stones.