Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

I HIGHLY doubt it. The sensationalism of this whole affair will blow over and we'll (we being all road users) continue to be total dicks on the road, because you know, it's always the other persons fault, my 'flow' mustn't be interrupted, i'm busy on my phone, my strava says this redrobot doesn't exist etc etc etc.. just another day in dont'giveAFcksVille.

So what you are saying is that nobody is prepared to or have the intellect to change ?

Some will learn from this, others are to stay away from the group I ride with.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait until this weeks Top Gear hits our screens, from what I am told there is a huge fuss going on in the UK right now thanks to them advocating mowing down cyclists. Popular we are not right now.

As an aside if I do ever have to defend myself against an angry mob I hope it is just like these idiots, average weight 60kgs, wearing cleats and barely able to walk somewhat resembling a herd of ungainly drunk deer sliding slowly across an ice covered lake.

Here's their "advert"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ZuvmyQ_p4&feature=player_detailpage

This incident has made me realise that I do not know the rules of the road as a cyclist or as a motorist. Where can i find the laws of the road in this regard?

As Cycling should I ride inside the yellow line or is it illegal?

There is alot of statements about cyclists riding 2 abreast. On beach road(Sea Point) for example, I constantly get motorists riding abreast with me for the entire stretch of road. Is this legal?

Are hand signals required when stopping? If i overtake another cyclist, do i need to indicate with hand signals as i never see this being done.

Do I have the right to a lane in urban/residential areas?

This whole incident makes me want to be more observant of the law with regards to my cycling but honestly I just dont know what the laws are.

Please Help

Follow @bicyclesafetysa on twitter as there are lots of information being shared

Regulation 311 - Riding on pedal cycles (NRTR - National Road Traffic Regulations South Africa)

***In my opinion old and outdated and it does not protect cyclists***

Reg 311. (1) No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.

(2) Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.

(3) No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.

(4) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.

(5) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.

(6) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handle bars of such pedal cycle.

(7) Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

(8) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, shall do so in such manner that all the wheels of such pedal cycle are in contact with the surface of the road at all times.

Cycling Safety Suggestions for South African Conditions http://www.arrivealive.co.za/print.aspx?s=5&i=2945

If there was ever any doubt about how damaging this incident was, then I have now seen it for myself: I have had 3 random appointments this far today and, knowing that I'm a mad cyclist, each and every one of those non- cycling people asked me whether I've seen that horrible video clip and what I thought of it! :thumbdown: :cursing:

Me too. Bloody terrible.

If there was ever any doubt about how damaging this incident was, then I have now seen it for myself: I have had 3 random appointments this far today and, knowing that I'm a mad cyclist, each and every one of those non- cycling people asked me whether I've seen that horrible video clip and what I thought of it! :thumbdown: :cursing:

Me too. Bloody terrible.

If you ask me, it makes a pleasant change from them asking if I'm riding the aurgust/94.7, followed by what's your time...

So what you are saying is that nobody is prepared to or have the intellect to change ?

Rhetorical question, like the subsequent statement. But since the obvious generalisation was missed, my opinion was directed at all commuting dicks,and you know this is not wrong.

Edited by Capricorn

Here's their "advert"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ZuvmyQ_p4&feature=player_detailpage

Follow @bicyclesafetysa on twitter as there are lots of information being shared

Regulation 311 - Riding on pedal cycles (NRTR - National Road Traffic Regulations South Africa)

***In my opinion old and outdated and it does not protect cyclists***

Cycling Safety Suggestions for South African Conditions http://www.arriveali...aspx?s=5&i=2945

Thanks, Some infomation is better than non I guess.

This leads me to believe that riding in the yellow line is illegal even though it is significantly safer for me.

Do I have the right to the entired lane or only 0.5m or so from the pavement?

Is it legal to ride on the pavement?

Rhetorical question, like the subsequent statement.

I see, you don't really have an answer.

People have the ability too change, some don't.

I agree with Dale, many will learn from this and become more responsible.

I see, you don't really have an answer.

People have the ability too change, some don't.

I agree with Dale, many will learn from this and become more responsible.

You've missed the point. again. tone down your micro analysis of statements and you'll see the wood for the trees: in case you choose to miss the point again: it was directed at those who take no value from the incident and choose to continue doing what they want for whatever self motivation drives their choices.

edit: This is not the first major event between cyclists and other road users. Have things gotten better or worse? Its not fatalistic to admit that things are getting worse. Loads of road rage lessons could've been learnt from the fatal encounter between that motorcyclist and motorist up north. Death as an out come is way worse than pepperspray. What about Burry's incident? and all those before Burry.

It takes alot of introspection to sympathise with a situation to the point of self-actuation. when it comes to road safety, our road users unfortunately are not getting the message without a zero tolerance approach from the traffic authorities.

But make another mistake and think I'm not hopeful it will open the eyes and minds of some road users. But given history, its pretty obvious how these things go.

Edited by Capricorn

You've missed the point. again. tone down your micro analysis of statements and you'll see the wood for the trees: in case you choose to miss the point again: it was directed at those who take no value from the incident and choose to continue doing what they want for whatever self motivation drives their choices.

I interpreted exactly what I read, no micro analysis needed.

Now we have problems......our image destroyed completely....but apparently the cyclists were taunted by the people in the car according to a article, not sure if this is true though.

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal

I bet you my right ear hair that those 3 guys drive like tjops in their cars .. when not tryna act all holier than thou on their bikes !

This incident has made me realise that I do not know the rules of the road as a cyclist or as a motorist. Where can i find the laws of the road in this regard?

As Cycling should I ride inside the yellow line or is it illegal?

There is alot of statements about cyclists riding 2 abreast. On beach road(Sea Point) for example, I constantly get motorists riding abreast with me for the entire stretch of road. Is this legal?

Are hand signals required when stopping? If i overtake another cyclist, do i need to indicate with hand signals as i never see this being done.

Do I have the right to a lane in urban/residential areas?

This whole incident makes me want to be more observant of the law with regards to my cycling but honestly I just dont know what the laws are.

Please Help

http://www.saflii.org/za/legis/num_act/nrta1996189/

Dear fellow cyclists,

please learn the following skill as it applies to motorists as well:

Ride as fast as the situation allows.

Riding at poephol speed in busy traffic is just asking for trouble. There are plenty of hazards beside syourself.

Pedestrians

animals

motorists with limited vision, esepcially those driving Italian sports cars

soccer rugby cricket moms

its for your own good.

How long have you been here? And you still ask? C'mon Dangle, we all know you are cleverer than to ask rhetorical questions on the Hub