Top cyclists knocked down by vehicle

janslabbert

Jevandre Pauls, 2013 SA junior road champ riding for Bonitas, and Craig Symonds, riding for RideLife Giant, were hit from behind by a vehicle outside Stellenbosch yesterday whilst out on a training ride. Jevandre Pauls sustained serious head injuries and facial fractures, and was placed in an induced coma and on a ventilator. Craig Symonds sustained a cracked hip.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this happen? Praying for a speedy recovery.

Most likely, motorist negligence

Bottelary Rd is such an ideal road for training in terms of wide shoulder, good visibility and signs that say 'be alert; cyclists use this route'

It happened on Polkadraai actually in the dip by the strawberry farm, they where cycling in the yellow lane when they where knocked from the back.

The driver drove off but stopped and came back. He then told Craig " I had no where to go" this after the road has been newly surfaced and freshly painted(double carriage with yellow shoulder)

Craig is ok, he says Jevandre is not looking to good though, please keep him in your prayers!

Will pop in with Craig later today

It happened on Polkadraai actually in the dip by the strawberry farm, they where cycling in the yellow lane when they where knocked from the back.

Craig is ok, he says Jevandre is not looking to good though, please keep him in your prayers!

Oh, that side...

It's a real high speed section.

Thanx for the update, mopkop

I cry inside to read about Jevandrè's medical status.

The judiciary should make an example of a motorist like this and lock him away for a long time. Didn't have anywhere to go. Crap story if you ask my opinion.

" I had no where to go"

****** - how about hitting the brakes and waiting until you have somewhere to go. Just because you want to pass doesn't mean you can pass.

There seems to be this mentality that as soon as a motorist sees a cyclist they immediately think "I need to pass ASAP".

It's like cyclist = pass.

Even when I'm going about 60km/h people STILL feel the need to pass.

I notice this every day when I train in my area. I thought it was the JHB "rush" mentality but it seems it's not restricted to JHB>

Bullsh!t - how about hitting the brakes and waiting until you have somewhere to go. Just because you want to pass doesn't mean you can pass.

Yip

:-/