WTF happened to DIB/First option on The Hub!

LOUDMAC

For me DIBS means DUDE!! I BUY STUFF<>I WILL TAKE IT.. apparentley for some pms means more than any wording on the ad... :thumbdown:

That is just it, dibs isnt clear....I have been burnt with "dibs" before...so ignore those. a firm "I will take it" is positive and shows commitment...

dibs means first option...not interested in dealing with people like that

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just it, dibs isnt clear....I have been burnt with "dibs" before...so ignore those. a firm "I will take it" is positive and shows commitment...

dibs means first option...not interested in dealing with people like that

Dont think dibs or take it thats the real problem here... its ettiquette ..and buyers and sellers using the advert which they placed to give corresponding feedback which is the issue.. some dont really give a toss about the AD once theyve got a PM fish on the line ;)

Dont think dibs or take it thats the real problem here... its ettiquette ..and buyers and sellers using the advert which they placed to give corresponding feedback which is the issue.. some dont really give a toss about the AD once theyve got a PM fish on the line ;)

Sure...it does come down to etiquette but forcing them to give a commitment just makes it harder to maneuver around.

I have enquired on a lot of things and have been lied to about the statues of the goods.

That is why pictures and good quality ones are essential to any sale...don't look at ad's without pics.

Then in my, HONEST, opinion, The Hub has gone to ****!

IMHO!

But hey, if that's how you do business.....I don't want your business.

I think that's fair!

Not only the Hub

I gave away a Sump for a fish tank (tropical aquarium SA). Still waiting for the guy who called dibs to come and collect the sump. That was last year he called dibs on the sump, and it is still on my stoep.

Edited by François Marais

Not only the Hub

I gave away a Sump for a fish tank (tropical aquarium SA). Still waiting for the guy who called dibs to come and collect the sump. That was last year he called dibs on the sump, and it is still on my stoep.

this answers the thread 100% thread can now be locked

Some deals good, some bad, there will always be some of this nature. I have dibs or pm the seller on many occasions and had good dealings.

I guess it comes down to the nature of the person you are dealing with.

Some people care about how others view their integrity and others don't.

Could also be with the amount of scamsters around that people just want to seal the deal, get the cash and move on.

The only time a deal should be final is when a seller accepts a price, and a buyer commits to buying it, no conditions attached. You can always buy it, and if it doesn't fit, sell it on in your own time. It is really time consuming (at least for me) to sell things on the hub, so to turn down people that are willing to collect cash in hand at my door step, only to go through a whole rigmarole with the first buyer that said dibs, is too painful. Most of the time I would have rather just not sold the item to begin with. :)

Edited by Craigwt

I once shouted "Dibs!" on the prettiest girl at primary school, still waiting for her to return my call.

oops, think I stole that sale from you! lol

no I'm saying we had been in email discussions.

No I don't expect seller to sit around waiting, but if a deal is in progress and a third party steps in, at least give the first buyer the option to settle immediately or forego the deal

This is standard business practice, at least in the first world!

No matter if it's $10 or $1000000

Bull dust.

In the first world, just as in South Africa, a well developed law of contract exists.

Certainly in the English speaking world and those that adopted and developed the English law, a contract exists when there is a meeting of the minds on the terms which in contract of sale include the specific goods to be sold, the specific price to be paid and an agreement that as sale has been agreed.

Dibs, or I will take it has absolutely NO standing in law ( unless the contract agreed upon was an "option to purchase" and the cost of the option was agreed and paid for.)

If all the conditions for a valid contact of sale have been met, you have a valid contact and you can sue for breach. Your remedies would include the payment of damages or specific performance.

From your description, you had no contract and the seller had no obligation towards you.

The legal maxim " you snooze, you lose" applies

Sorry cash is king, often people says DIBS and no show.....

Also another annoying question is "How much did you pay for it?"

hoenstly its for sale how much i payed for it should not be the buyers concern......maybe thats just me.

A Lot Edited by Spoke101

And getting a buyer who will ask you to deliver a free gift to his house. I mean For Freaken Sakes you are getting the thing for free! At least have the nuts to get in your car and to come and get the bike.

And people who want to buy things but will still ask you for a lower price and when you sell it to someone who are willing to pay full price will go off on you for not selling to them, just because they are cheap (and I mean I am half Jewish so I know what it means to twist a penny!)

OP can just change the title to: WTF happened to DIB/First option Integrity on The Hub!

I've bought and sold a ton of stuff over the years, but these days I just don't trust anyone... heard some excuses that would make a naught school child laugh.

The dog ate my groupset :eek: :whistling: (trust me, it's coming!)