Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

20 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Gee, was that a proper seize? Sounds more like a heat seize

Yes probably hence the ability to carry on. It never felt too good after that as you can imagine. It did lock up properly though at the time. 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a self-induced heat seize on my 360. Rode up Sir Lowry's pass and when I reached the top I switched off and freewheeled about 1 km "to give it a rest". Duh. 1 km further when I tried to bump start it, it just instantly seized. Cylinder had cooled, contracted and seized onto the piston. I had to wait a bit on the side of the road, worrying if I was going to make it but about 30 minutes later it started again on the first kick. Lesson learned. 

Edited by sawystertrance

While you riff raff are hard at work on Wednesdays, please spare a thought for me.

Wednesdays I leave home via the back roads of Durbanville for a quick coffee and Pastry at Deluxe in Dorp Straat Stellies, then wonder down the road to a site.

Following this I venture back whichever way I like and usually end up with a bit over 150km pending the final route.

It is a tough life, but someone has to ride through it :P

What an amazing day it was to be on the back roads to Stellies!

image.png.8e5787e97590740fe99c978855431ff8.png

17 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

I had a self-induced heat seize on my 360. Rode up Sir Lowry's pass and when I reached the top I switched off and freewheeled about 1 km "to give it a rest". Duh. 1 km further when I tried to bump start it, it just instantly seized. Cylinder had cooled, contracted and seized onto the piston. I had to wait a bit on the side of the road, worrying if I was going to make it but about 30 minutes later it started again on the first kick. Lesson learned. 

Getting off topic here but on those old big single two strokes 500's, hard running was best done with a bit of choke for more fuel otherwise the thing would give a few warning pings then pick up or just seize. Never happened to me but others. I always though running expensive oil (Bel Ray) at exactly what was specified helped; more oil is not your friend surprisingly, to me anyway.

6 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Getting off topic here but on those old big single two strokes 500's, hard running was best done with a bit of choke for more fuel otherwise the thing would give a few warning pings then pick up or just seize. Never happened to me but others. I always though running expensive oil (Bel Ray) at exactly what was specified helped; more oil is not your friend surprisingly, to me anyway.

Yes to some people lean means too little oil which is wrong. More oil means less actual fuel in the mixture so a leaner running engine. I had a CR450 which was a total dog to start and keep running. Never broke but was so hard to start when hot it was almost useless if you fell over and stalled far away from civilization, like Atlantis dunes. 

Spokey, when will you be back? I was thinking of doing a trip to Swartberg and Prince Alfred's Pass and environs and thought perhaps a catchup may be possible. 

3 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Spokey, when will you be back? I was thinking of doing a trip to Swartberg and Prince Alfred's Pass and environs and thought perhaps a catchup may be possible. 

Out of interest, we may have a project out in PA later in the new year ... already been looking at the ride options to the town :P

EDIT: Scratch that ... Prince Albert, not Alfred

Edited by Hairy

37 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Hairy, from what I've seen you could probably ride over Swartberg pass to Prince Albert on your bike if the road is in decent nick. Maybe worth considering.

Hey, if some vertically challenged Aussie can ride his HD off road, surely I can too :P

BikeReview-Danny-Hayes-Million-Dollar-Bogan-KnackersBDP (4) - Bike Review

11 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

That would be awesome but I am only home end of Feb next year now. I have 5 days at Christmas but have family down from Josie.